Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

AutoDoom available to download

I think it ought to? From my look at the code it seemed like the bot actually analyzes things on the map to see if they're shootable / have a death state. Maybe because the Keens don't have any sort of attack, the bot never actually treats them as a threat to take out?

Currently the bot doesn't hunt for monsters and other targets. For most maps, all they do is waste ammo and put the player in danger. If in that map the cyberdemon is somehow defeated and the bot is moved by the player to the finish, it will start shooting the Keen things and eventually reveal the exit.

I can easily set the Commander Keen dolls and any other final bosses as useful goals.

I am soooo impressed!

"Heimdal" version has many epic wins and epic fails. The greatest win for me was maxing Alien Vendetta's first level on HMP in 2:04. I, human, couldn't finish it (the torch leading to the exit was too obscure :) )

"Heimdal" is actually an Eternity name. Anyway nice to know that AutoDoom still beats some challenging levels.

^^ Well, the bot obviously has an advantage over a human there - he detects special-action linedefs by remotely checking linedef properties for a non-zero special action, rather than looking for visual clues like a human would.

I just want to say off the bat printz that you did an excellent job on this bot. In its current state, the bot handles itself fairly well on moderately difficult maps. It looks like the path finding is pretty well done and monster awareness is intact aside from the stated challenges to work out

It would be an absolute dream to play with this bot cooperatively, to finally have a bot that emulates human-like behavior.

I've followed this project since you released AutoWolf and to get a bot functional on the doom engine is amazing.

I hope you continue on this and iron out the flaws it has and get it working on different wads.

Exciting! Will this be merged back into Eternity at some point as an option? Also, imagine all enemy AI's replaced with this...

Actually the bot attacks his helper dog...

Edit: highlighted downsides of behavior:

-Instead of picking better weapon he trying fight with cyberdemon with pistol.
-Instead of shooting Pain Elemental, he shoots at his spawn first.
-Near slime pits not accurate when fighting monsters - he falls down easily.
-He is refuses to jumping to another platforms. For example MAP02 from Doom 2 - place near red key.

DooM_RO said:

Would this be useful for making Coop bots or even fixing the Brutal Doom marines?

I think it's totally different...

Jimp Argon said:

How the hell did I miss this?

Maybe because you wasn't registered on this forum yet when this thread had the last activity before today.

DooM_RO said:

Would this be useful for making Coop bots or even fixing the Brutal Doom marines?

coop bots: possibly
Brutal Doom marines: hahaha nope not at all

scifista42 said:

Maybe because you wasn't registered on this forum yet when this thread had the last activity before today.

You are so wise scifista ;-)

Compiled and ran the current git on Linux. Then made it run EP1 in Nightmare.

My reaction is a mixture of "technically impressive, manages to get all secrets and survives* even in Nightmare difficulty" and "oh my God look at it go!".
In visual terms, it's a bit odd how much it loves to straferun. Other than that it's really impressive and takes amusingly little CPU while working. I think I will make it the nerdiest screensaver this side of Angband+APWBorg.

I am kinda impressed on how it's able to get even non-obvious secrets so nicely.
The most strange behavior I noticed is how it'll abandon a group of enemies at the exit of E1M2 because it has only 390 bullets instead of 400, which gets it into unnecessary risks in Nightmare. It's also interesting how it doesn't necessarily take the same routes every time. Makes it more "natural".

I kind of wish it was available for zdoom as opposed to Eternity, but don't take that as a request or anything. It'd make a great single-player bot companion. I assume you have your reasons for using Eternity instead, though.

*It struggles, but managed to clear a bunch of maps after a while.

EDIT: Heh, seems if you use the Eternity feature to spawn with a couple of MBF dogs, the AI goes insane trying to kill the poor pups. Bad AI, bad!

And if the game mode is set to coop so the bot can respawn, it'll sulk in a corner and stop moving, aware of its mortality or something.

Really love this project. Couple notes from my random tests:

1. In Doom2 MAP02, the bot doesn't understand the first switch, or the switch behind the red gate. Perhaps because the switches are inset a bit, so the bot doesn't recognize them as reachable?

2. Bot doesn't understand simple platforming. For example: MAP29, it doesn't know what to do when it's time jump onto the platform with the HK.

3. Bot doesn't seem to understand Boom line actions.

It's really cool how you can control the bot when it gets stuck to get it to where it needs to be, and how it immediately picks back up doing stuff once you get it there.

After seeing AutoDOOM working, I have to say I'm really impressed ! Good job.

I have also tried to wrote a DOOM BOT some years ago (based on Chocolate Doom port) but give up after a while because of the difficulty and lack of motivation. I went to the point the bot could shoot enemies, auto open doors and switches in front of him and avoid shooting barrels (something very important if you don't wanna die quickly). Anyway, I struggled for the pathfinding part. I tried many things like rasterizing all sectors into a 2D grid and building a quadtree out of it. Eventually I came to conclusion what would be the best would be to generate a navmesh from of the map (this is what you did with AutoDOOM/GLBSP if i am not mistaken).

What is impressive with AutoDOOM is how it can shoot and move at the same time, dodge enemies, etc... It also seems to never get stuck (although i'm sure it will on some very HARD maps which involve running over platforms and such).

Also (just for info) before trying to wrote a DOOM BOT I also wrote one for Wolf3D (which is something LOT of times easier):
https://github.com/tigrouind/wolfenstein-3D-bot
You can view it in action here: youtube

Unlike some bots, it do not try to kill everybody or collect everything, but to finish the level as fast as possible.
I didn't know about AutoWolf until now.

I can't figure out how to join in alongside the bot.  I try to set up a co-op game, get told the map number can only be changed after the demo, but the demo never ends because the bot just keeps respawning.  I can control whether the bot shoots but that's about it.

Why does Autodoom crash when trying to load MAP02 of Obituary? (loading obticfix.wad and obticfix.deh)

MAP01 plays fine, the bot enentually got killed after some good progress, but I can't load MAP02, it crashes. Whether I do a map MAP02 or I do an exitlevel from within MAP01, it just crashes.

EDIT: MAP03 works fine. It's something with MAP02.

I hope this project is not dead. Didn't see new builds though.

P.S. I realized I'm posting in old thread -_-

Really likes to run toward exploding barrels... but doesn't want to fire the rocket launcher... It survived E1M1 to E1M4 and died there.. tough going in E1M9. Saving and loading seems to confuse it.