Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
EsH

Legacy fps question

Sorry to dredge the Legacy fps issue up again, but I couldn't find this info in Doom3 media posts, and I have a 56k:

I downloaded an 80.4MB wmv version of the Legacy video, and while the frame quality was quite good, the frame rate was horribly irregular (it would run smooth for one second, freeze for 3, etc). Are all the versions like this, or is this just a wmv thing? I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me, before I start the long, dark 113MB download of the mov version.

Thanks.

All the wmv versions should be smooth, while the Quicktime version runs at a horrible 5fps. Do you have any problem running other wmv movies on your pc ? Try installing the latest Windows Media Player (get it here) and cross your fingers.

Strangely enough, I had a problem last week with the new Halo 2 trailer, that's also in wmv format. The sound was all noise and the video would play at only 2fps or something, even after I installed the new Windows Media Player beta. But then I installed WinAmp (which now supports video) and played it that way, it now runs just fine. So maybe you should try that, too.

Thanks so much, LordFlathead, for your usual fast and knowlegable post-- it would have been quite... dissapointing... to download 113 MB over a university 56k line, only to find out it ran at 5fps!

WinAmp sounds like a great idea.

Well since the question's been answered, allow me to change the topic. Anyone with broadband should REALLY download the Halo 2 trailer right now if they haven't already. Firstly, it shows off some of the same technologies we're going to see in Doom III (bumpmapping, specular, stencil shadows and light shaders), and secondly it's too damn cool.

"What if you miss ?"
"I WON'T."

Yeah, I agree, That trailer rocked. Although, Seeing the chief land on the ship would of been cool too.

Although, about that broadband statement, I'm only on 56K, but that movie was not a problem for me to pick up. I guess it just depends on how willing you are to try and download it.

Also, while on the topic of halo, did anyone read the book? It was a prequel to the first game, and explained how the spartans came to be and how the cheif ended up on Halo. It's called Halo: The Fall of reach if anyone is interested. I think it's pretty good.

Halo2 may be the reason I pick up an Xbox. I just have to play halo first :D. (waiting for PC version ;p)

Xian said:

there arent any stencil shadows in doom 3

When was the last time you had your head examined ? Of course there are stencil shadows in Doom III. What else would they be ?

How big is the trailor? I'm wondering if it's worth the month it will probably take off of from my 56k.

It's definately worth it. It'll take awhile, that's the downside to such a crappy connection, but I managed to bag it in under four hours.

Lord FlatHead said:

32MB unzipped.

Heh, good that's nothing, I was willing to download it even if itw as almost 100mb. =]

orion said:

Heh, good that's nothing, I was willing to download it even if itw as almost 100mb. =]

It looks good. Not Doom 3 good, but good.

Eh, I just got the Legacy vid... took me 6 hours in all, but I got it. :P Runs fine on Media Player 6.4, apart from the sections of original doom play... then it's a little choppy... maybe 15fps.

Ok, I just saw the Halo2 trailer... looked great. I also noticed that when the camera focused on something the background was blurred. The animation was also kick ass, for some reason I found this to be more impressive than our precious doom3.

orion said:

I also noticed that when the camera focused on something the background was blurred.

Yeah, that's a neat touch. I do believe that's all in-engine, which would make Halo 2 the first game to use that effect.

I believe this was first implemented in some Voodoo5 demos, though I wonder if any company ever supported their DOF.

orion said:

Ok, I just saw the Halo2 trailer... looked great. I also noticed that when the camera focused on something the background was blurred. The animation was also kick ass, for some reason I found this to be more impressive than our precious doom3.

Yeah, i liked the space ships and the planet most. And the music, great atmosphere. Like a movie.