Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NEANDERTHAL

BRIMSTONE! (1024x1024) (Complete)

I've tried making Doom maps before, such as my failed HELLSHIP level, a UDMF-ACS-ParticleFountain mess, but this is my first try mapping in vanilla Doom 2 format, limited to a 1024 area. I found it really stimulates my creativity!

I call the result Brimstone!

The level is a rather abstract hell level with a combination of flesh, red rock, and marble textures that makes use of crushers, one-way walls, turrets, flying enemies, and barons doors with health. It's a bit cramped, but I find that this helps to create tension. Pick and choose your battles! Run from enemies that are too strong, don't worry, you'll kill them later.

I am proud to say that it is Boom compatible, and has been successfully completed by me in PrBoom+ and GZDoom.

Here's the level:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2XLVgBhkr0dU0RtMVl4TUlwZ2s

PLEASE reply here with any recommendations, criticisms, thoughts, etc. you have.

Note that the first few replies correspond to the map as it was first posted!
THE MAP IS NO LONGER AS BUGGY AS DESCRIBED IN THE FIRST POST!

SCREENSHOTS:

Spoiler

Sorry, dude, but i had to say that this map is pretty broken:

- The first problem is the inescapable pits at the start, the lifts can be only activated entering in the corridor back to you, change the linedef action right at the start.

- The doors doesn't work, expect from some locked key doors and other tagged events, but other ones doesn't work. The same thing for lifts or other tagged things.

- There's a HOM behind the MIDSPACE wall back to the starting point.

- WHY THE ROCKET LAUNCHER FOR FIRST WEAPON? Change it with a SSG, please!

- If you're looking for vanilla compatibility with this map, i suggest you to change the ROCKRED1 and other wall textures you maybe used for floor / ceiling as a textures.

walter confalonieri said:

Sorry, dude, but i had to say that this map is pretty broken:

- The first problem is the inescapable pits at the start, the lifts can be only activated entering in the corridor back to you, change the linedef action right at the start.

- The doors doesn't work, expect from some locked key doors and other tagged events, but other ones doesn't work. The same thing for lifts or other tagged things.

- There's a HOM behind the MIDSPACE wall back to the starting point.

- WHY THE ROCKET LAUNCHER FOR FIRST WEAPON? Change it with a SSG, please!

- If you're looking for vanilla compatibility with this map, i suggest you to change the ROCKRED1 and other wall textures you maybe used for floor / ceiling as a textures.

Oh no! I forgot to change the starting point from the one I had during testing!

I have fixed it now! Come back!

Here's a demo for the fixed version:

complevel 9 skill 4 FDA

Like walter, I couldn't get out of the yellow key room due to nonfunctioning doors. I suspect that you only tested in zdoom or gzdoom. When mapping in Doom 2 format, you should at least test in PrBoom+ (or Chocolate Doom if it's meant to be vanilla-compatible).

Benjogami said:

Like walter, I couldn't get out of the yellow key room due to nonfunctioning doors. I suspect that you only tested in zdoom or gzdoom. When mapping in Doom 2 format, you should at least test in PrBoom+ (or Chocolate Doom if it's meant to be vanilla-compatible).

I have edited the map to now be compatible with Boom, although that means the hallway window had to be removed and several textures are less rad. The crushing hall and the arena now work!

Alright, here's a demo in which I exit:

demo

There's a lot of stuff going on in this small map, which is cool. Lots of stuff moving around. Some of it is pretty weird and/or confusing, which is not necessarily bad, especially considering the setting. Notes:

- Default flats are used on the floor/ceiling in a few places
- There's a weird artifact in the corner opposite the manc/AV
- The manc/AV don't really do much since they're stuck in the closet
- Some roughness with texture alignment, and texture pegging on moving sectors
- Progression was confusing, and the exit was pretty tough to find (at least for me). But it's a small map and the computer map is given just in time.
- Most of the encounters were actually pretty fun and interesting for their awkwardness. The combinations of small spaces, moving sectors, and pain sectors were effective.
- The goodies in the blue key room pit caused me lots of confusion because they seemed like a secret, but I couldn't find escape. It seems that the goodies are actually meant for after the room opens up with the manc/AV.

Okay, the map has been updated, using Benjogami's notes as a guide. The artifact is no longer present, and has been replaced with a dummy sector. I have no idea why the manc and AV are getting stuck; Their hit-boxes overlap nothing on that difficulty level, and the AV works fine on HMP. There must be some kind of collision detection bug going on there. Several pegs and texture alignments have been fixed. I've now put an exit sign over the switch needed to exit. I don't know what to do about the confusing goodies.