Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

How much of a 'Doom Master' are you?

So how much of a Doom Master are you?

If you're experienced at the game and if you play on higher difficulties(HMP/UV/Nightmare), you are welcome.

I usually play on UV just because I want to give myself a challenge and I'm pretty good at it too!

I'd say that I am slightly above average on the Doom skill level chart. I rarely play on UV and pretty much never on nightmare.

I hate D2 maps but love the monsters, so I generally only play PWADS using D2 on UV unless they're ridiculous. Frequently I run through Ultimate Doom on UV with Fast Monsters.

I'm sort of a jack of all Doom trades, but a master, probably not - at least compared to the top deathmatchers/duelers/CTFers/speedrunners/mappers/midi composers/texture & sprite artists. I do all of those things regularly and competently so, but I wouldn't say I excel at any of them. FWIW, I always play on UV and have beaten each iwad quite a few times, especially Doom 2.

One time I killed a revenant with just a shotgun

Not much, sadly. I recently set out to play all of Doom and Doom 2 from pistol starts only, since I find IWAD levels to be otherwise really dull. All of Doom was really easy, but Doom 2 has been kicking my ass repeatedly in the hell levels. Bloodfalls has been the only break I've gotten so far. Barrels of Fun was particular hellish

I exclusively play on UV. I've completed Doom1 even Thy flesh consumed, but have never completed Doom 2 on UV. After playing on UV I get bored with the lower enemy count in lower difficulty levels. I get my ass kicked a lot, but I feel that with Doom... it's part of the game. I don't mind dying over and over. These games never get old for me.

I pretty much know how to make a chainsaw run forever

I go through phases of thinking I'm pretty good at Doom, terrible, pretty good, terrible.

I ain't as good as I once was.

But I was good once, as I've ever been.

There was a time where I could Black Metal my way through many wads.
Now? Not so much. I die a lot more these days, it seems.

The only time I have to go below UV, typically, is when I'm playing Kate's Pokemon Doom mod because it's a completely different dynamic when you're weaponless and have to rely on simplistic Doom AI to fight for you. Vanilla Doom levels tend to not be so forgiving towards the slowly grinding up your levels style of rpg's, especially Doom 2 and Final Doom.

40oz said:

One time I killed a revenant with just a shotgun

Good thing I was sitting down! *blown back several feet!!* :D

I feel like anybody here who frequently plays the classics deserves some level or recognition as a hardcore gamer, a 1337 warrior of metal and steel.

I generally play Doom and Doom user wads on HMP (I just find UV feels crowded, and I kind of want to hurry up and get going). I guess challenge isn't the #1 reason why I enjoy these games, though I like some danger of having to reload once in a while. So I'm no master, but I am a 1337 Doom warrior, cookin' with gas!

I've won a couple deathmatches in my time though. (lost many more but who's countin')

I play Doom/Doom 2 on HMP. I almost never play on UV or above.

While I like to believe I'm not at the bottom of the ladder, I still suck at the game as a whole.

I'd say above average/very decent. I beat both Hell Revealed's and majority of Eternal Doom without cheating. I also possess an almost unheard-of patience for BS which helps.

I killed a Cyberdemon with a shotgun with limited space. It took a while. I batted no brow but I was bored (and didn't die).

My Doom Mastery is so vast that other Doom Masters journey to my mountain and inquire like "Sensei, how do I understand flow" and I stare beyond the horizon and go like "Not even the fastest fish outswims the eagle without diving deep" and they're like "Gee that was helpful".

My Mastery is so strong that I give my would-be disciples an ancient Chinese scroll and tell them "Read this ancient Chinese scroll". Then they are all like "But Sensei, I cannot read this! It's written in Ancient Chinese!". Then I reply: "Neither can I, my trusty disciples", and that's supposed to teach them something about humility and recognizing one's limits and shit.

UV only. So far I've beaten UD/D2/TNT/PL/PL2 completely and Sunlust up to map 19. Pretty good difficulty progression in that order. I do die occasionally on unfamiliar and slaughter levels, so I play new WADs with save games.

I've also beaten E1-E3 and E4M1 on Nightmare, and I even didn't die on at least half of the levels. I had to save scum on the most difficult ones though.

I'm the worst player out there.
I suck at deathmatch (though, I've never tried DMing with a ping < 500, lol), I suck at SP. I play HMP only. I savescum. In ports that allow it, I sometimes use "resurrect". I sometimes "finish off" monsters with the pistol, to conserve ammo. Same goes for Berserk-punching. I'm very bad in combat with Doom 2 monsters, as I'm an Ultimate Doom purist. Also, my Lost Soul evading skills could use some practice.

I'm also an under-average mapper.
My texture editing skills are limited to IrfanView's "Swap Colors" option and MS Paint.

Beat that, Doomworld!

yakfak said:

i am a very bad doom player

...in need of a good spanking?

Single player wise, I'm pretty good. I usually play all wads on UV, and when I'm not playing Doom casually I play with fast monsters on, or I turn brightness all the way down to make it more fun and intense-ish.

Multiplayer wise, I'm also pretty good. I always climb my way to the top of the leader board and often stay on top for several matches in a row. Otherwise, I'm second or third place usually. For CTF I'm not as good. But I still can make a dent. One on One I tend to suck depending on the player and the map.

dew said:

...in need of a good spanking?

Shall I get some rope? ;D

I suck. Kinda. Not really. Either way, I'm by no means a Doom Master.