Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Egyptian Guardian

Ezquake wont let me load a saved game

I don't have much experience with ezquake, but I do know that it's intended for multiplayer, and the developers don't recommend using it for single player games.

EZQuake is a QuakeWorld client, use FitzQuake or Quakespasm if you want to play singleplayer.
Also if you want a more realistic Quake experience try Darkplaces and the Quake Epsilon Build.
Oh and one more thing, if you need maps, go to Quaddicted, there's hundreds of maps, along with a excellent app called Quake Injector.

J.B.R said:

EZQuake is a QuakeWorld client, use FitzQuake or Quakespasm if you want to play singleplayer.
Also if you want a more realistic Quake experience try Darkplaces and the Quake Epsilon Build.
Oh and one more thing, if you need maps, go to Quaddicted, there's hundreds of maps, along with a excellent app called Quake Injector.

I have tried quakespasm, and I have also played around with fitzquake. I do not like them as much as how ezquake recreated the game. Although they give me the option to save, their graphics are really poor compared to ezquake, plus quakespasm refuses to go fullscreen;not to mention fitzquake mouselook feels very weird and sluggish.

Are there any ports that are close to what ezquake does? I can't get nquake and directq to work at all.

Darkplaces is my preferred source port as well as the most popular one overall for single player Quake 1 gaming. It took me awhile with fiddling around with all the graphical settings to get the game to look precisely the way I want, but to me Quake couldn't possibly look any better than the way I have it set now.

The only real drawback is that there's a handful of bugs that show up on certain maps, which you can look at here: https://www.quaddicted.com/engines/darkplaces

Because of said bugs, you're better off running Quakespasm if you're wanting to play the official mission packs. Quakespasm isn't anywhere near as pretty or customizable as Darkplaces, but it's less buggy.

Hopefully there will one day emerge a Quake 1 source port that combines the best elements of both Darkplaces and Quakespasm.