Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MrGlide

What non-id games have been made off of doom/doom source ports?

It seems like GZDoom would be great for a lot of indie games, yet I don't know of any that use it or the doom engine. It seems like a good engine I don't really understand why more developers don't use it/them. particularly GZDoom. Thanks for you time and filling in my curiosity.

Hacx and Bastardos both used idtech1 if I'm not mistaken. Ceejay's got a remake of Bastardos around somewhere.

If we restrict this to advanced source ports, Action Doom and Foreverhood spring to mind. Neither of them would qualify as an "indie" game in the usual sense of the word, though, and at least Foreverhood is unfinished.

The difference between a mod and game based off a source port is that a game may also include a customized executable and not rely solely on scripting to achieve a different behavior (aka be less "doomy"), though today this distinction is probably moot.

bzzrak said:

Was it that hard?

Non-id, and I was more interested in source ports. As I own all of these games I'm fully aware of them, so thanks for reading the op and being condescending bzzrrk. @ maes thank you, I think with a small bit of iteration the doom engine would serve as an amazing base majority of what could work for many indie games. I'm learning to program in java right now and when I switch to C++ I wish to learn more about the gz/z/ doom engine and attempt to make different types of games with it.

SRB2 runs on a heavily modified Doom Legacy engine.

Its non-id. Its made specifically for running SRB2.

These kind of "games" you want to know about?

Using 3DGE there's Hypertension: Harmony of Darkness in development and also my own SLaVE.

Great little low-footprint engine for developing, that one.

There are quite a few stand-alone, fan-made games based an a Doom-engine derived source port, though I Think most of them are rather unknown to most people. I Think I posted a list in Another thread here at Doomworld, though I can't seem to find it right now. One of the latest ones that comes to mind would be 'Membrane': http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=51766