Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NightmareZer0

Things that bother you about Doom

bzzrak said:

Have you ever thought why does the backpack pickup double max ammo?
The Doomguy already has one backpack.

But, how can you carry 50 rockets in one backpack?
Let's not forget that it's the mid-22nd century, I'm sure they have some super-fancy technology for that.

There was an old thread lost in the sands of time where I had calculated that the weight of 400 bullets, 100 shotgun shells, and even 50 M-40 Grenade Launcher ammunition and a couple of lead-acid batteries (to simulate cell packs) would not be impossible, especially considering that the bearer would be some highly trained and muscular grunt, not some pencilneck.

All in all, the total weight including weapons was somewhere around 50-60 kg. Considering that a member of any decent special forces is expected to be able to walk several miles carrying a fallen comrade on his shoulders, go to battle and run with about 30 kg of gear and be able to walk indefinitively with 50-60 kg (e.g. during transfers/maneuvers) of burden, you can see how it's just barely possible.

Besides, we all know that in reality Doomguy uses a scooter (and he worked as a janitor, at some point).

You know, if there were sections of a new Doom game in which you road around on a futuristic hover thingy and were going as fast as (or a bit faster) than OG Doomguy...that would actually be pretty cool. Like if you needed to get across an entire city but had to make some stops to kill baddies, but running the entire way would be too slow. It would be better than actually driving a "proper" vehicle which would stray too far from Doom's gameplay.

The plasma gun noise. When you shoot nothing else exist, only that Sharp sound i cant even hear when im killing, i like to hear the sound of my victims.
I dont hate icon of sin, but it would be better having another final boss. TNT and plutonia should have.

Santos said:

The plasma gun noise. When you shoot nothing else exist

I've always though of that as of a feature, as well as of it effectively blinding you at close range. I often use PG as a panic button when I need to get out of tough place ASAP, and it sort of amplified the panicky feeling of the situation. And it feels equally good when you need to melt your way through a thick crowd of weak monsters: there's just a blue stream of death obliterating everything in your way, monsters - just meat blocking your path, they don't deserve to be recognized as a threat. You don't need to hear to see them, you only care about when the path is clear, and that's exactly the moment when PG projectiles stop blinding you and begin going off into distance.

Infinitely tall actors and things that kinda grow from that:
1. Getting stuck on lost souls, cacos and PEs up floating way above you. This is especially annoying because you can dodge projectiles by running under them, and lost souls effectively are projectiles.
2. Monsters' melee attacks going up very tall ledges, and you apparently being unable to do the same thing to them.
3. Not being able to aim up or down when items 1 and 2 happen. Also, not being able to see how close I am to the edge when doing some platforming puzzles. It doesn't really bother me otherwise.
4. Blowing your self up on a rocket when try to aim at a monster directly in front of you, but the game thinks you want to shoot a pinky below you that's not even on screen.

I'm not a fan of the software renderer and how it brown-outs all the textures more than a few meters away. If I want pixels, I'd rather turn filtering off in a GL port.

rileymartin said:

I'm not a fan of the software renderer and how it brown-outs all the textures more than a few meters away. If I want pixels, I'd rather turn filtering off in a GL port.

Also, the distortion if you use mouse aiming.

Santos said:

The plasma gun noise. When you shoot nothing else exist, only that Sharp sound i cant even hear when im killing, i like to hear the sound of my victims.
I dont hate icon of sin, but it would be better having another final boss. TNT and plutonia should have.

Gotta say I agree with these. For most of my WADs I used the Plasma sound from Dwango5/PSX Doom as it's less grating, though recently I just use a quieter version of the original plasma sound. It's still punchy without being deafening which is nice.

I also really like the IoS battle, but it getting reused in both Final Doom episodes was a bit predictable, not to mention the literal hundreds of megawads out there that end with an IoS battle essentially identical to Doom2's.

I've sort of made my peace with the z co-ordinate bug because although lost souls can hit me directly over me, I can use switches that are buried in the floor.

One thing that does bother me is how often I should save the game. Many larger levels are too big to just go back to the beginning --- it would be good if when level builders upload small levels, they recommend only saving at the start of a level.
I try to make myself a bit afraid of having to reload and do one extra monster trap before saving. I used to save far too often, so the game is more enjoyable now.

GoatLord said:

It would be better than actually driving a "proper" vehicle which would stray too far from Doom's gameplay.

Actually, if we exclude strafing, a dirt bike is pretty close in terms of speed, jumping and hill/stairs climbing capabilites to how Doomguy actually moves around levels.

MathsDevil said:

One thing that does bother me is how often I should save the game. Many larger levels are too big to just go back to the beginning --- it would be good if when level builders upload small levels, they recommend only saving at the start of a level.

Welcome To Hell!
That goes for all of you.
IT IS THE DEFEAT WHICH KILLS US
IT IS THE BLEED WHICH STEELS US
IT IS YOUR FEET FUNGUS LOVES
IT IS THE BEAT THAT MEANS I'M SERIOUS

BeenJammin said:

IT IS YOUR FEET FUNGUS LOVES

That was actually pretty terrifying to think about. Does Doomguy EVER remove his boots? How much do his feet sweat when he's running at his usually leisurely pace of 25 mph?

Let's not forget about all the poisonous mutagenic shit that's seeping into his boots on a regular basis. Maybe it's for the best that he keeps them on.

The turning radius on homing fireballs. They're less like projectiles and more like evil kamikaze fire pixies.

Aquanet said:

The turning radius on homing fireballs. They're less like projectiles and more like evil kamikaze fire pixies.

That's probably a lot of the challenge with Revanants, how quickly their projectiles are able to turn around. The one plus is that they don't know how to go around obstacles, they take a straight path to you even if it means hitting a wall.

I find it frustrating at the fact that cacodemons get pushed back by a rocket or a super shotgun blast & continue to fly till they hit the wall.

It's tedium for me.

Doom 64 specific, but I hate how the plasma rifle, and eventually the BFG, is made obsolete by the inclusion of the Unmaker. I like the plasma rifle's design in D64 but it's wasteful when the Unmaker can do twice as much damage with fewer shots required.

Yeah, by itself the laser is like a concentrated plasma rifle that fires much more slowly. You really have to work to get the upgrades. You know, between the immense darkness, the cinematic soundtrack, security cams, the heavy use of scripting, the smaller scale battles, the increased emphasis on puzzles and the weapon upgrades, Doom 64 was more ahead of its time then I thought.

The upgrades don't increase its damage per cell/laser beam, which is two times more than one plasma cell/ball. Also, what I've understood from the code.. the laser is also a hitscan weapon, the beams are just visual fx.

I think it still makes some sense when you pistol-start everything, because it's such a rare weapon. You won't find it in most levels, IIRC.

On the other hand, few people would play like this.

As Jimi said, the Unmaker is just so damn cell efficient that I never bothered with the BFG or Plasma Rifle during my playthrough. And cell ammo is a lot more rare than in id titles.

There are occasions, such as at the start of E2M4 of DoomI when monsters that have a clear line of sight to you only see you when you walk forward - the shotgun guy(s) after that initial teleporter should activate as soon as you enter but don't.

Jimi said:

The upgrades don't increase its damage per cell/laser beam, which is two times more than one plasma cell/ball. Also, what I've understood from the code.. the laser is also a hitscan weapon, the beams are just visual fx.

I always wondered how they accomplished what appears to be a floating red leaser beam. It's a really great looking trick.

rileymartin said:

As Jimi said, the Unmaker is just so damn cell efficient that I never bothered with the BFG or Plasma Rifle during my playthrough. And cell ammo is a lot more rare than in id titles.

In other words, there's real motivation to use the newer weapon. Sounds about right, much like the Super Shotgun. Aside from long ranged circumstances, it's good for just about anything except anything below Pinkie since it would be overkill.

MathsDevil said:

There are occasions, such as at the start of E2M4 of DoomI when monsters that have a clear line of sight to you only see you when you walk forward - the shotgun guy(s) after that initial teleporter should activate as soon as you enter but don't.

Something similar happens in Map 01: Staging Area of Doom 64. In the small room full of zombiemen, where you can access the secret conveyor belt to get the chainsaw. If you open the door but don't pass through the threshold, the zombies won't see you, even though they're facing in your direction.

It has always bothered me that nkt every enemy has a melee attack.

My ideas:

Former Humans and Sergeants: Hit you with the butts of their rifles

Chaingunners: Backhand you with their gun and it pushes you back a bit

Mancubi: Same as chaingunner, but twice as much damage and it sends you flying back a lot

Pain Elemental: Clawing or punching

Lost Souls: Simply touching them should inflict minor damage since they're on fire

Arachnotrons: Some kind of taser or something

Cyberdemons: A mighty stomp (instadeath). This was done nicely in BD

Spider Mastermind: Same as Cyberdemon