Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
T-Rex

A bit of help please?

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to play wads that need Dehacked to play properly in Doom. I tried to install The Trooper's Playground, using the repackaged edition which simply needs Dehacked and DeuSF to merge the Doom2.exe file, but when I load up the merged exe file and try to play, it freezes up. Is it that it's incompatible with earlier versions of Doom 2, or is it just really a hassle to play Dehacked wads on vanilla? It runs perfectly well with on source ports, though.

T-Rex said:

I'm having a bit of trouble trying to play wads that need Dehacked to play properly in Doom. I tried to install The Trooper's Playground, using the repackaged edition which simply needs Dehacked and DeuSF to merge the Doom2.exe file, but when I load up the merged exe file and try to play, it freezes up. Is it that it's incompatible with earlier versions of Doom 2, or is it just really a hassle to play Dehacked wads on vanilla? It runs perfectly well with on source ports, though.

TTP requires the usage of Deusf? Strange. Just run it as PWAD.

And use a sourceport, like Chocolate Doom, Crispy Doom, PrBoom+, etc.

I've fallen back on just using Chocolate Doom to run Vanilla wads that need a .deh file - I really don't know what's wrong but I've never been able to use dehacked.exe to run a v1.9 deh in the v1.9 Doom2 exe. I got fed up a year or so ago and just gave up so if anyone could answer this, that would be grand.

I remember getting a few .deh files to run successfully way back with 1.666, but they always came with a batch file that did all the dirty work, they functioned "out of the box" on OSes that supported 16 bit exes so I'm not sure whats different other than the version number.

ChekaAgent said:

I have no idea.

Why post then?

Tried one of those source ports that emulate vanilla gameplay, but they can't read certain sprites for some reason. On my last attempt with playing on vanilla, I almost got TTP functioning without freezing, only to found that I've overwritten the main Doom 2 wad by accident. I don't know how they managed to play wads requiring .deh files before source ports came to existence, but I commend their patience.

Okay, I finally did it. I managed to get TTP working on vanilla. Turns out I needed a Dehacked.ini file for establishing the directory of my Doom2.wad including the exe files for Doom 2 and TTP, and then tweak up a bit the command lines in the TTP batch file, particularly the install section with the following commands.

copy doom2.exe ttp.exe
dehacked -load ttp.deh
deusf -append ttp.wad

Finally, I needed to load up the ttp.exe through the command prompt as launching it by itself doesn't register the wad file, and at last, I can play TTP on vanilla with no freezing up problems and not ending up overwriting the main Doom 2 wad file. But yeah, having to go through all this trouble is one of the reasons why I stay away from wads that require a .deh file to play.

Dumbfuckery like that is why we have source ports. And also why certain PWADs which shall not be named need some serious repackaging to work outside of a certain archaic Microsoft OS.

Maes said:

Dumbfuckery like that is why we have source ports. And also why certain PWADs which shall not be named need some serious repackaging to work outside of a certain archaic Microsoft OS.

There's some wads with dehacked files that can be played on vanilla with no problem, but The Trooper's Playground is one of the most confusing to get it run properly without it freezing up or overwriting the main wad file by accident.

Isn't Deusf a trimmed down version of Deutex?

*checks Deutex manual*

Yeah it is. Dont think I'll ever need Deusf unless i want to make a hacked Doom exe for running a specific WAD(s). But come on, we have source ports for that.

I use Prboom+ for stuff like DeHacked.