Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
mewse

I Stole Cyb's Car, And I'm Not Sorry

In case you haven't heard of it yet, the Tenebrae Project has been hax0ring the Quake source code in order to add many of the features expected to be in Doom 3. However, I'm not quite sure how similar the lighting methods will be, because John Carmack has repeatedly emphasized the importance of hardware pixel shaders in his scheme, but they don't appear to be used in Tenebrae at all (I'm able to run it on my GeForce 2 fairly well). Well, it's pretty interesting regardless. They also have a link to a Quake E1M1 texture replacement project, which reminds me a lot of FreeDoom. Heh.

tenebrae looks pretty good, some of the shots remind me of doom3 quite a bit...i have a tnt 2 though, so i'm pretty fuxored...damn

Haha... don't worry, I have a GF4 Ti, and I still get like 17fps when there's more than 4 or 5 lights in the same room.

Tenebrae is the coolest Quake source port I have ever seen. I spent an hour just playing with my shadow. I think this source port gives some of the feel the new Doom game will give you. It really is a whole new experience to walk around a map that is fully bumpmapped with your shadow following you everywhere. The framerate on my GF2 MX400 was low, though. In lots of places it fell beneath the 10 fps.

For a few giggles, type "map bathroom" in the console.

fraggle said:

doomworld is so much better since mewse and cyb joined

Well there's certainly a lot more news thank God, even if it is all bollocks =)

Damnit...Tenebrae won't run on my system. WHY!?!? :(

I have a GeForce 4 TI 4600...

Chances are this doesn't, and will not, look anything like Doom 3, because the Doom 3 engine takes something like 4 or 5 "textures" for each patch of wall in order to reflect light and bump map and do all sorts of shit properly for ultimate photo-realism.

Still, Tenebrae is a treat to the eyes...once I get it working on my system :\

mewse said:

..I'm not quite sure how similar the lighting methods will be, because John Carmack has repeatedly emphasized the importance of hardware pixel shaders in his scheme, but they don't appear to be used in Tenebrae at all (I'm able to run it on my GeForce 2 fairly well).

they don't appear to be used in Tenebrae? if that were true, there'd be no bump mapping in Tenebrae. and it should be able to run on gf2, considering doom3 will capable of running on a gf1 (and uses the same "hardware pixel shaders")..

Sign in to follow this