Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyoAsuka

Dusk - Hexen + Quake + Doom

I Still don't understand why some people feel like downgrading the Quality to look like shit is a good choice .

It's much, much cheaper and practical for a super small dev team, that's (probably) why. Looks like a pretty fun game, reminds me of the N64 era.

I for one enjoy that low-poly aesthetic. Definitely need to keep my eye on this, that full aerial rotation mechanic I imagine will be so much fun!

Looks very promising to me, sounds like they're going for a full campaign of interesting levels, and the combat and vibe look fun too.

I disagree that it looks awful by the way, aesthetically it looks pretty good to me.

holy shit it looks like it's gonna be awesome! can't wait to play it

and imo, i like the low-poly graphics. it reminds me of quake and eldritch.

Color me interested.

Also, those references almost had me giggle.

DMGUYDZ64 said:

I Still don't understand why some people feel like downgrading the Quality to look like shit is a good choice .

Because 'retro' is the new excuse to avoid spending time on things like polish and level design.

Basically it looks like a forgettable fps from 2003 with all the unnecessary colored lighting to go with it.

Quast said:

Basically it looks like a forgettable fps from 2003 with all the unnecessary colored lighting to go with it.

2003? That's a lot of credit, I was thinking more like 1999. The graphics are hardly any better than Goldeneye honestly.

So stop whining and go back to CoD then you spoilt kids.
Maybe you don't like the aesthetic but it's their game and their choice, i'll admit i'm not totally bought over by it but if it turns out to be a fun, well put together game like Quake or Hexen 2 then i'd love to give it a shot.

Quast said:

Because 'retro' is the new excuse to avoid spending time on things like polish and level design.

Yeah how dare they not have AAA budget for their games.

darknation said:

Wow, that looks a lot like the sniper section from Urban Brawl.

Like, suspiciously so.

Legit AD2 Ripoff, gg .

This doesn't look too good to me. The weapons feel like they pack no punch at all, which is damning since you'll spend most of your time shooting.

Here, have a trailer embed since the first post is lacking media:

Quasi-official opinion from a dude who's played it: DUSK is great.

I got a chance to try it out at QuakeCon and was blown away by how good it felt. All the usual buzzwords (fast, etc.) actually apply here -- it's the closest thing to Quake since Quake, really, and the dev (David Szymanski) is a cool dude who actually knows his reference material (Quake, Blood, Doom, etc.).

The big thing that's setting DUSK apart from things like STRAFE is that the creator's actually taking the time to do Real Level Design(tm) rather than pulling the procedural generation switch like so many retro attempts tend to (e.g. STRAFE, Ziggurat, ...and then Devil Daggers which had none whatsoever ;). I only played the invasion mode myself, but I got to watch someone play through the first campaign map and it's hella promising.

re:Graphics, it's lovably ugly IMO. It actually looks authentic to a game of its "time" (mid-late 90s) rather than falling into the "retro-inspired-but-clearly-modern" trope that 99% of the indie market follows. YMMV, but to me it looks "correct" for a game of its type, even though those pointy model edges are quite eye-gouging. :D

tl;dr: DUSK has a seriously high chance of actually pulling off Real Oldschool -- moreso than any of the other contenders do/did for sure. I'd advise skeptics to keep an eye on this one regardless.

Looked okay, like a neat throw back to the low poly 90s look I like about 90s games.

But then I noticed the player flying upside down and shooting like ana crobat, at which point, Holy Shit this might have potential and may actually be fun.

Will be keeping an eye on this

There's still a huge opening for someone to succeed at a real sp old school shooter. I personally hated Devil Daggers (one level and it's unfair! yay!), liked but felt let down by Bunker Punks (fun for about 45 mins), and just never really got into ziggurat (fucking wand). Serious Sam and Painkiller are cool and all but those cows have about milked their last bucket.

Xaser said:

the creator's actually taking the time to do Real Level Design(tm)

Absolutely, it annoys me when someone releases a great product like Bunker Punks or Sublevel Zero and I spend five hours playing bland, procedurally generated levels (they're infinite!!) and then I move on to something else. OK fine. For $5, not bad. On the other hand, I would have gladly spent 10+ hours playing even minimally designed levels.

That looks extremely fun, and is very reminiscent of Quake. My only gripe is the music (I've never been a fan of Hulshult), and my only concern is this last bit in the article:

Szymanski clearly admires that era of games, but also says he doesn't want Dusk to inherit the confusing trial and error mazes or obscure puzzles that roadblocked players in some '90s shooters.

That's actually why I keep playing the older shooters (._.)

I neither like nor mind the graphics, I think I'd be OK with them. Can't judge gameplay merely from watching a video without trying out myself. My main concern is the level design and architecture, as the plain floors and either cramped or oversized rooms shown off in the trailer don't look that great - even mere screenshots of today's average usermade Doom wads tend to show off much better design and architecture than what I've seen here.

Do people really hate the visuals that much? For what they are they're pretty clean, though the animation could use an overhaul. I'm pretty fond of that shot with the tractor, myself. It feels cold and mysterious.

Looks like a lot of fun; thanks Xaser for posting that video for our convenient viewing, as well as for the feedback from somebody who's played it. I'll have to keep an eye out for this.

The whole "It's like Doom/Quake/Hexen/etc but with (gimmick)" is getting old. What does this game do better than those? Sell me on that, not a misguided attempt to pander to my nostalgia for older, probably better games.

All I can tell is that it's a poor-looking FPS with gimmicky aerial combat. What's my motivation to play this over Doom? So far, nothing.

Mr. Freeze said:

The whole "It's like Doom/Quake/Hexen/etc but with (gimmick)" is getting old. What does this game do better than those? Sell me on that, not a misguided attempt to pander to my nostalgia for older, probably better games.

All I can tell is that it's a poor-looking FPS with gimmicky aerial combat. What's my motivation to play this over Doom? So far, nothing.

This.

Also, it manages to look worse than Quake 1.

Looks decent to me... Potentially. We've had many games claiming to be inspired by the classics while being way further from the mark.

Why play this over Doom? Well, why play PWADs over IWADs? Variety in content is fun. Provided the core gameplay is solid.

To me, the graphics bring to mind a poor man's Painkiller, there doesn't seem to be much of an original atmosphere coming from the game, and the level design seems a little "realist" boxroomish stuff from late 90s early 00s.

But hey. Here's a one man effort to make something solid. Not a competitive score survival Twitch bait, not a procedural infinitely the same maze, not a nostalgia trip to wider 90s pop culture. A genuine fast-paced single player adventure. I don't see the harm in letting the guy finish his stuff and give it an honest look once it's out.