Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FrogMaster

WADs Based on Real Locations?

Has anyone found any WADs for Doom or Doom II that are based off of real places from the real world? I always thought it was pretty cool to be killing demons in a place you are familiar with in real life.

I know there was a level made back in 1994 called The Unholy Trinity, and it is modeled after Trinity College in Cambridge, England, but that is all I've ever been able to find that was worth while.

I've heard that Eric Harris made a map based on his school, but i don't know if it's available on the internet.

There's a new York City wad and a weird highschool wad. There's also another wad based in some city in another country that lags like hell. When I get home to my PC I will try and find all the names and links to all I mentioned.

I remember hearing about that too and I did some research. It turns out that he made multiple levels, I've only played one of them. None of the levels were based on the school though, that was just a rumor by the community. I read that the police found out he played Doom so they went through the levels and determined that none of them had any correlation to the school.

Seeing as Trinity and Woodlan were mentioned, what about that WAD, Jerry's Kid (?). CSG gave a review of it in a TnC issue. It was this year btw. https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doomworld-news/89335-the-newstuff-chronicles-504/

ChekaAgent said:

I've heard that Eric Harris made a map based on his school, but i don't know if it's available on the internet.

Yeah, Columbine High School. No active link exists/has been found.

IIRC the first two levels of Bauhaus feature buildings inspired by real-world Bauhaus buildings, while the last two levels are more abstract takes on the aesthetics.

there's definitely a complete .WAD of Blackpool Tower in my head because it haunts my nightmares - I get stuck in a secret behind an elevator and lose my jumper and start crying. later I've made it to the circus area but the main attraction is me being yelled at by my mother in front of a crowd of 1,200 imps

oh, I got a real one - the opening episode of Eviltech is based on train stations and airports in Argentina, right?

ChekaAgent said:

Such thing doesn't exist at all.

It's a moronic internet rumor that somehow people still believe up to this day. Doom modding wasn't that advanced in the late 90s to support room-over-room levels; ZDoom was mere 3 months old at the time.

It's time to move on from such thing.

I know about two:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/ufmg
It's supposedly based on the Music building of the Federal University of Minas Gerais, Brazil. Can't vouch for accuracy, never even been in its state, let alone near it.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/cava
Supposedly a version of Macaé's seashore. Again, can't vouch for accuracy, map looks pretty nice for a town with just vanilla textures though.

IMX said:

Doom modding wasn't that advanced in the late 90s to support room-over-room levels;

While this is correct, it is not really relevant. People started making myhouse.wad type of levels since the very beginning. The inability to have a room on top of another room didn't deter them from doing so. The same could be said about people trying to recreate their schools even with these limitations.

But again, you are right. The Columbine map / wad is probably just an urban legend.

The metro section in ksutra map13 is vaguely modelled after Prague's metro station Můstek, in particular its line A floor. I hope I'm not misremembering this, heh. Můstek is a transfer station, but the stairs to the lower line C section are ignored. I'm pretty sure the METAL1 walls and FLOOR4_8 flats are supposed to imitate the real "bubblewrap" bricks.

Reaching a bit, the outside could perhaps be connected to the JindriÅ¡ská-Vodičkova intersection with the Wenceslas Square here, given the vague shape of the streets and the fact that's where the Mustek station is, heh.

No shooting incidents are currently tied to the map.

IMX said:

Such thing doesn't exist at all.

It's a moronic internet rumor that somehow people still believe up to this day. Doom modding wasn't that advanced in the late 90s to support room-over-room levels; ZDoom was mere 3 months old at the time.

It's time to move on from such thing.

Here's the fucked up thing: I was watching random Doom videos on YT when I came across someone who bothered to create a mod in which you slay kids at Columbine. A LOT of effort was put into it. It's just disturbing.