Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hobomaster22

Doom Launcher - Doom frontend & database v3.7.4 (12/2023)

Dude, this is fucking awesome! This is now the perfect doom launcher in my opinion. Good fucking work man.

Do you plan to keep working on this? If so, what plans do you have?

Gonna have to update my copy; I think that's just about every update I ever wanted rolled out in one go!

Thanks for continuing to maintain this application, hobomaster22.

Thanks guys. Glad you are enjoying it.

Currently it looks like the only feature request I haven't completed is automatic updates. Most of the features have been driven by the community, so whatever you guys come up with I will certainly take into consideration. Then there are bug fixes of course.

I will make use of the launcher and if anything I could suggest comes to mind, I'll be in touch. That said, with Doom '16 ever so close now, I imagine this won't be getting much use out of me for a month or two, at least. :P

This is actually quite fantastic. Would love to see more. I hope there's plans for future updates especially when it comes to stats. Kill breakdowns, deaths, etc.

Raptomex said:

This is actually quite fantastic. Would love to see more. I hope there's plans for future updates especially when it comes to stats. Kill breakdowns, deaths, etc.

I would love to expand on the stats. I will start looking into this after I complete the next release. The only issue with this is that this information only exists in the game save binary which can be pretty difficult to parse out. This is technically how Doom Launcher currently gets the kill/secret info from ZDoom, which I only found by digging in the ZDoom source code and found a half implemented stat feature in the game save. Game saves also introduce the issue of end game sequences that do not allow a game save to be generated. For example when completing E1M8.

I have whipped up a quick add-on for ZDoom using mapinfo that skips the end game sequence and puts you back to the first level so it will generate a save. With the next version you will be able to tie a game file to a source port so it will be automatically launched with that source port. I'm currently just rigorously testing the next release, so it should be out soon!

Hi, I've just downloaded this and it looks quite cool.
But:
-- can you manually provide a folder where to save downloaded WADs? You DO have such an option in the settings, but it appears to use a GameWads subfolder of the given folder. And I really don't feel like reorganizing my entire WAD library only to fit this.
-- the Strife IWAD isn't recognized. Nothing much, but it'd be nice to see.
-- and it appears to make a zipped copy of each added IWAD. This wastes space. Not everyone has 10 TB HDDs, you know.

bzzrak said:

Hi, I've just downloaded this and it looks quite cool.
But:
-- can you manually provide a folder where to save downloaded WADs? You DO have such an option in the settings, but it appears to use a GameWads subfolder of the given folder. And I really don't feel like reorganizing my entire WAD library only to fit this.

Hi bzzrak,

You can move the GameFiles folder and change it to use something like C:\GameFiles but the intention of this application is to handle the organization of your library as well. This application has a lot of features that unfortunately are not really well documented. A general feature document is on my list of things to do. The first post here documents the tagging feature designed to help organize your library. Mine is as simple as having tags for 'To Play', 'Mods', and 'Completed'. I'm sure other people have more but it works for me.

bzzrak said:

-- the Strife IWAD isn't recognized. Nothing much, but it'd be nice to see.
-- and it appears to make a zipped copy of each added IWAD. This wastes space. Not everyone has 10 TB HDDs, you know.

Got it. I will address this after the next release.

I'm about ready to lie down for a nap, so sorry if I'm terse about this but:

-I'm not too big a fan of how much it wants to control where your PWADS are placed either, as I tend to have a general PWAD folder at the root of my C drive that I'd prefer to keep.
-I've also always disliked how the IWADs exist not only in their own designated tab, but also the "Local" tab. It seems kind of redundant and clutters things up, which just leads me to creating a separate "PWADs" tab to avoid them, which then necessitates another step in the form of adding PWADs to that tab. Maybe just keep them in "IWADs" or create a default "PWADs" tab for PWADs to go to?
-There's an interesting feature I've seen in one other launcher where it downloads screenshots for a given wad from WadArchive when prompted to.

In conclusion though, it's as comprehensive and no-nonsense as it's always been, keep up the rad work, man.

New version 2.4.0:
http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/doom-launcher

New features:
-Additional files can now be linked to Source Ports and IWADs so those files will automatically be loaded when the Source Port or IWAD is selected for play.
-Added progress bars for the overall statistics tracking of a file.
-Updated to check for mapinfo.txt to parse maps.
-Added a 'Save Settings' button to the launch dialog so the settings can be saved without having to actually launch the game.
-Automatic daily backups of the database are created when the launcher is run.

This is really cool, been enjoying using it. Having a problem where (using gzdoom) it can never parse statistics though. I don't really care cause I don't want to use statistics but for some reason the "save statistics" checkbox always stays checked even after unchecking and clicking save settings so I always get the error. Only a small thing though. Thanks so much for developing and releasing this.

tombom said:

This is really cool, been enjoying using it. Having a problem where (using gzdoom) it can never parse statistics though. I don't really care cause I don't want to use statistics but for some reason the "save statistics" checkbox always stays checked even after unchecking and clicking save settings so I always get the error. Only a small thing though. Thanks so much for developing and releasing this.

Thanks for your response. What is the error you are getting exactly? I would like to resolve this in case others are having this issue as well. I will address the checkbox not saving in the next release.

hobomaster22 said:

Thanks for your response. What is the error you are getting exactly? I would like to resolve this in case others are having this issue as well. I will address the checkbox not saving in the next release.

Just "Unable to find statistics in the save file C:\games\doom\auto1.zds." (repeat for every save file). Using latest SVN gzdoom, doesn't matter which mods/maps.

tombom said:

Just "Unable to find statistics in the save file C:\games\doom\auto1.zds." (repeat for every save file). Using latest SVN gzdoom, doesn't matter which mods/maps.

Interesting. This seems to have been broken with the latest dev build of GZDoom. Still works with latest non-dev build 2.2.0.0.

New Version 2.5.0:

http://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/doom-launcher

New Features
Update to parse statistics from new ZDoom save game format
Duplicating IWads in two places is no longer required. IWads are now used from the GameFiles directory.
IWads will now only show in the IWads tab.

Bug Fixes/enhancements
Fix for error when deleting a source port
Better date/time parsing from text files.
Fixed bug that would cause files associated with a deleted game file to be associated with a new one when added (Screenshots, save games etc).

Edited by hobomaster22

Here is a quick mod I've been using for ZDoom to work around the fact that there is no save game after the last level so the statistics can be collected. It cycles the common last maps back to the first map overriding the end game sequence. For example E1M8 back to E1M1. I have it associated with GZDoom so it automatically loads anytime I select that port. Here is how it is set up:

spadf.png.4c67e0428f2c29500e84d241b7514282.png

noendgame.zip

Hi there! = ) First, I'd like to say thanks for a great tool - this is a really neat little program.

I do however have a rather problematic bug to report though...

At first, I could load Doom2.wad along with mods without problem, but recently I keep getting an Unhandled Exception Error. What's strange is that the error goes away and lets me load my game with wads if I delete the iWad from Doomlauncher and then re-add it... o_0

Error message is as follows:

SQL logic error or missing database

near "s": syntax error.

Spoiler

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteException (0x80004005): SQL logic error or missing database
near "s": syntax error
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLite3.Prepare(SQLiteConnection cnn, String strSql, SQLiteStatement previous, UInt32 timeoutMS, String& strRemain)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.BuildNextCommand()
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.GetStatement(Int32 index)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader.NextResult()
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteDataReader..ctor(SQLiteCommand cmd, CommandBehavior behave)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.SQLite.SQLiteCommand.ExecuteDbDataReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbCommand.System.Data.IDbCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.FillInternal(DataSet dataset, DataTable[] datatables, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet, Int32 startRecord, Int32 maxRecords, String srcTable, IDbCommand command, CommandBehavior behavior)
   at System.Data.Common.DbDataAdapter.Fill(DataSet dataSet)
   at DoomLauncher.DataAccess.ExecuteSelect(String sql)
   at DoomLauncher.DbDataSourceAdapter.GetGameFile(String fileName)
   at DoomLauncher.Util.<>c__DisplayClass12_0.<GetAdditionalFiles>b__0(String x)
   at System.Array.ForEach[T](T[] array, Action`1 action)
   at DoomLauncher.Util.GetAdditionalFiles(IDataSourceAdapter adapter, String property)
   at DoomLauncher.Util.GetAdditionalFiles(IDataSourceAdapter adapter, IGameFileDataSource gameFile)
   at DoomLauncher.MainForm.SetupSourcePortForm(IGameFileDataSource gameFile, AppConfiguration appConfig)
   at DoomLauncher.MainForm.HandlePlay(IEnumerable`1 gameFiles, ISourcePortDataSource sourcePort)
   at DoomLauncher.MainForm.HandlePlay()
   at DoomLauncher.MainForm.playToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2046.0 built by: NET47REL1
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
DoomLauncher
    Assembly Version: 2.5.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.5.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/blast/Downloads/Games/Doom_classic/DoomLauncher_2.5.0/DoomLauncher/DoomLauncher.exe
System.Windows.Forms
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2094.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2093.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Configuration
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Core
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2093.0 built by: NET47REL1LAST
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Xml
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
CheckBoxComboBox
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/blast/Downloads/Games/Doom_classic/DoomLauncher_2.5.0/DoomLauncher/CheckBoxComboBox.DLL
System.Data
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Data/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Data.dll
System.Data.SQLite
    Assembly Version: 1.0.92.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.92.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/blast/Downloads/Games/Doom_classic/DoomLauncher_2.5.0/DoomLauncher/System.Data.SQLite.DLL
System.Transactions
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.Transactions/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Transactions.dll
System.EnterpriseServices
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/System.EnterpriseServices/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.EnterpriseServices.dll
System.Numerics
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Numerics/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Numerics.dll
Microsoft.CSharp
    Win32 Version: 4.7.2046.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.CSharp/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.CSharp.dll
System.Dynamic
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Anonymously Hosted DynamicMethods Assembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_32/mscorlib/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/mscorlib.dll
System.Dynamic.DynamicAssembly
    Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Dynamic/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Dynamic.dll
Microsoft.GeneratedCode
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Equin.ApplicationFramework.BindingListView
    Assembly Version: 1.2.2446.31718
    Win32 Version: 1.2.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/blast/Downloads/Games/Doom_classic/DoomLauncher_2.5.0/DoomLauncher/Equin.ApplicationFramework.BindingListView.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

I can run and launch Doom.wad just fine, no problems.

I'm running Doomlauncher 2.5.0 with GZDoom 2.4.0.

Using the pWads: swtw.wad (map) and Beautiful Doom.

Specs:
--------
Computer: Asus N550JV-V4G Laptop
CPU: Intel core i7 4700 @ 2,4 ghz
RAM: DDR3L @ 1600 mhz, 8 gb
GPU: Geforce GT 750M (Driver: 375.95)
GZDoom: 2.4, official stable build. (gzdoom-bin-2-4-0-x64)

I have attached my DXDiag as well, in case that is of use.

n00b_DxDiag.zip

An excellent program that I only just discovered this week.  It now makes my 100+ wad collection manageable.  Some things I'd like to see implemented in future builds:

-a way to save column positions in the main browser.  I like to have "title" first for example.  Closing and Re-opening the app causes it to return to defaults.

-to allow the full text file to display on the right text preview pane.  Right now it gets clipped after 2 or 3 paragraphs.

-a "Create Shortcut To Desktop" feature for particular games to quick launch.

Well, that's about it for my wishlist.  This program is a godsend for us doomheads and it's about time someone made a decent frontend for wad management.  Thanks for the hard work.

One more thing: the search function in v2.5.0 is very unstable and usually causes Doom Launcher to crash on my system.

On 5/31/2017 at 0:38 PM, DoomN00b said:

Hi there! = ) First, I'd like to say thanks for a great tool - this is a really neat little program.

I do however have a rather problematic bug to report though...

At first, I could load Doom2.wad along with mods without problem, but recently I keep getting an Unhandled Exception Error. What's strange is that the error goes away and lets me load my game with wads if I delete the iWad from Doomlauncher and then re-add it... o_0

Error message is as follows:

SQL logic error or missing database

near "s": syntax error.

Thank you for the report. I have resolved the problem in version 2.5.1 below. Let me know if it works.

On 6/1/2017 at 9:06 PM, cacomonkey said:

An excellent program that I only just discovered this week.  It now makes my 100+ wad collection manageable.  Some things I'd like to see implemented in future builds:

-a way to save column positions in the main browser.  I like to have "title" first for example.  Closing and Re-opening the app causes it to return to defaults.

-to allow the full text file to display on the right text preview pane.  Right now it gets clipped after 2 or 3 paragraphs.

-a "Create Shortcut To Desktop" feature for particular games to quick launch.

Well, that's about it for my wishlist.  This program is a godsend for us doomheads and it's about time someone made a decent frontend for wad management.  Thanks for the hard work.

17 hours ago, cacomonkey said:

One more thing: the search function in v2.5.0 is very unstable and usually causes Doom Launcher to crash on my system.

Thanks for the info. I have resolved the problem with the searching. The column position was a feature that must have recently been broken and should be fixed in 2.5.1 below. Let me know it resolves these problems.

Doom Launcher parses the text file in the zip file. The right pane is the 'description' portion of the text file. It may not be 100% all of the time because of all the variations of how people might put together the text file. It is however, usually very good. If you want to view the whole file quickly you can right click the file and select 'View Text File'.

I will implement the shortcut feature in the next major release.

Bug fix version 2.5.1:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/off239huhuwgmgl/DoomLauncher_2.5.1.zip?dl=0