Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RyoAsuka

Dusk - Hexen + Quake + Doom

I like retro styled FPS when they have a well realised visual design. Like Strafe or Devil Daggers. But this looks like an amateurish JDoom mod where the graphics engine isn't capable of realising the ideas the authors had in mind in a decent way.

This looks fun, and it'll have actual level design as opposed to procedurally generated. I like the shooting backwards while in the air mechanic, never seen something like that before.

Well, you have a point with the level design. I didn't knew Strafe will have semi-procedurally generated levels (I don't think this will really work).

dethtoll said:

No, it looks like Quake 1. To the point where I honestly thought it was. (It's Unity tho.)

It looks like Quake with a fan-made overblown HD effects mod. I don't like that look.

Tetzlaff said:

It looks like Quake with a fan-made overblown HD effects mod. I don't like that look.

That's not what you said.

Tetzlaff said:

But this looks like an amateurish JDoom mod where the graphics engine isn't capable of realising the ideas the authors had in mind in a decent way.

Does it look like Quake or does it look like Doom? Pick one and stick with it. Don't be a weasel.

OK, I admit, it might be just me (and some) who thinks that the enemy and weapon designs + lack of sprites and crisp pixels look overally non-Doomish, but nevermind, it's a matter of opinion for sure, and no big deal either way.

I have never used models (or high-res textures) when playing in JDoom. They looked ugly as shit and ill-fitting to boot. By default JDoom uses the original assets. But even with that, it's still recognizably Doom.

Quake does things with its static lighting model that makes it very distinct in appearance from Doom IMO. Combine that with the very specific palette (again distinct from Doom's) in its brown and blue textures and it was hard for me to think of Dusk as anything other than a Quake 1 mod.

Quake style? Northwestern setting? Backflipping and akimbo shooting? This'll be hard not to miss.

About the graphics, the only thing that bothers me is that there are a lot of empty open spaces, which looked ugly even when Doom had them (E1M2 and E3M1/9 are the worst culprits). At least make them cornfields or put hay and grass there.

And it does not look as ugly as JDoom.

dethtoll said:

Does it look like Quake or does it look like Doom? Pick one and stick with it. Don't be a weasel.

I said JDoom, not Doom. And was thinking of JDoom with those model packs. Scifista's video illustrates it pretty well. And an amateur Quake1 mod could look similar. My point is that it doesn't look deliberately retro.

I'm sorry, but I think Quake (vanilla) and JDoom (with model packs) looks better than this...Also don't care much about the music in the trailer xD

idk, I'm not fond of the early 3D graphics. It worked for quake, because at the time it was cutting-edge. But also, because it was more suitable for its bizarre theme and setting. It helped to make it look other worldly.

Tetzlaff said:

I said JDoom, not Doom. And was thinking of JDoom with those model packs. Scifista's video illustrates it pretty well. And an amateur Quake1 mod could look similar. My point is that it doesn't look deliberately retro.

Your point is wrong and so is Scifista. Models or not, JDoom is still recognizably Doom, just eyebleedingly ugly.

dethtoll said:

Your point is wrong and so is Scifista. Models or not, JDoom is still recognizably Doom, just eyebleedingly ugly.

Point or opinion?

Low fidelity stuff can look great. Strafe for example is nicely handled.

This looks like programmer art levels of ugly.

Game looks like it could be a hell of a lot of fun but dear god, I'll be damned if that's not one of the ugliest looking games I've seen in a long time.
They're trying too hard to emulate the style of Quake, by setting limitations even lower than those present in Quake. People in Quake didn't have fucking corn chip heads and the weapons were more than a black tube with a handle on them.

The Civ said:

the weapons were more than a black tube with a handle on them.

You're right, you start out with a grey tube, which gets upgraded to two grey tubes, then you get some boxes on a fork, which upgrades into four dark blue lookin' tubes. Eventually you get the black tube with the simple design on it and the tan tube.

But that lightning bolt isn't a tube! WTF Dusk!

HorrorMovieGuy said:

It seems you WILL be able to turn the resolution down[/url] and make it look more "legit", and that's freaking awesome.

It does look a lot better, because it more consistent graphically. The original images look too inconsistent with some graphics like the sky looking ultra-realistic, and the objects look like something as primitive as Starfox. Despite the sky looking great, it only serves to diminish the presence of the lesser refined graphics.

It boils my blood that some people think that deliberately making a game ugly automatically makes it more "oldskool". Fucking lazy hipster developers. I really hope this doesn't become a trend.

Any shooter from the 90s had a lot more artistry than this piece of garbage. I want to see actual effort in the art assets and atmosphere.