Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Duke Nukem Countdown?

Oh, and:

PsychoGoatee said:

Have you read the points raised by numerous posters in the topic? If you hang around an oldschool FPS forum and consider yourself a fan of the genre, it's all pretty self-explanatory. But we still explained it for ya anyway.

Yeah, cause Doomworld is just full of blind fanboyism.

We won't know how good it is until it's out, but it's fair to say being by esteemed mappers like Allen Blum and Levelord, returning to yonder Duke 3D is a fun thing, which could be good. More so than who happened to be the figurehead/producer who people talk about.

And surely the great song I posted warrants some degree of groovin'? Electric Six are so awesome, I've seen them about nine or ten times, gonna see them again in a couple weeks!

PsychoGoatee said:

We won't know how good it is until it's out

That's sort of the critical problem here. $20 is a lot of money to some people on a gamble. Nobody knows if it's any good, it's the only supported version of Duke3D (Megaton Edition owners effectively being held-for-ransom), and the only way to tell if these 8-9 maps is actually worth $20 (that is actually a lot of money in this context) is on a complete guess which really isn't a point in its favour.

True indeed, I don't begrudge anybody who doesn't want to roll the dice on pre-ordering a game, I just like to talk about the inherent coolness of them getting the band together here.

I will post my findings when I play it, better than MetaCritic folks, forums exclusive.

Okay, let me get this straight.. we get one new episode, but lose three expansions.
We get "improved" sound which actually makes things sound worse and dynamic lightning which was available for free for ages.
Bonus points for crappy Big Bang Theory references, most likely broken mod support and a 20$ price tag for a game I already bought multiple times.
Even worse, I'd support Gearbox with this.

Um.... No, thanks.

Swine & Roses said:

Okay, let me get this straight.. we get one new episode, but lose three expansions.
We get "improved" sound which actually makes things sound worse and dynamic lightning which was available for free for ages.
Bonus points for crappy Big Bang Theory references, most likely broken mod support and a 20$ price tag for a game I already bought multiple times.

Um.... No, thanks.

All profits go towards Randy's guitar lessons.

To be fair, the new lighting in all the levels was hand-placed by Allen Blum and Levelord. And I love eduke32, but the Polymer renderer (an extra option which had extra lighting) was not the most stable of renderers, it had framerate issues even on great rigs. Polymost (it's default OpenGL one) is great though. They made a new renderer for World Tour which will probably be very good.

I did think the pistol sounded muffled and some other sounds too in gameplay vids, hopefully they fix that up. I know we've heard a Bazinga mp3 lying around, but if he says that joke over the corpses of those characters I think that'd be funny. They mentioned it would have mod support, and a workshop. It does seem like under the hood it'll be the same old Duke 3D, since it was apparently made on mapster, but we'll find out. And I'm not big on those 90s 3rd party addons myself. But overall we'll have to wait and see, if you're not interested in the publisher fair enough there.

Swine & Roses said:

Um.... No, thanks.

Also most likely the Steam Workshop with tons of user made maps...
Duke Nukem franchise is almost death and the owners of the IP, don´t know how to revive it.
20 bucks for a 8 maps Ep and they telling us "BUT EP 1 AND 4 ARE A BONUS!!!!!!!".
Nice one....

There were 13 years between Ninja Gaiden III and Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, being "near dead" because the next full Duke game is probably a few years away is a bit overly dramatic. Was Doom "near dead" for the 12 years between Doom 3 and DOOM? And of course if we bring community into it, Duke still gets terrific releases as of this month. (check out Shaky Grounds)

Maybe it's because I'm a Duke fan (as we know he took a while one time), but c'mon, Duke has plenty of time. There'll be another full on new Duke game at some point, and if they feel like licensing it out a bit after like in the late 90s, we may see other Duke games too. It's a pretty cool license to have, I don't see them letting it collect dust.

Wild Dog said:

20 bucks for a 8 maps Ep and they telling us "BUT EP 1 AND 4 ARE A BONUS!!!!!!!".
Nice one....

Yeah we should even be grateful that we're getting eps 1-4 with this. Fucking laughable statement there.

We all have hobbies. Mine is giving people info about Duke 3D World Tour's lighting (and defending Duke to the death), you two like to troll threads for games you're not interested in. :P

We all have too much free time. :)

No no, I love Duke 3D.
That's why I'm unhappy with Gearbox being in charge here, their name has become synonymous with mediocrity, greed and lies.
Also, I'm off to work. Cheerio!

Swine & Roses said:

No no, I love Duke 3D.
That's why I'm unhappy with Gearbox being in charge here, their name has become synonymous with mediocrity, greed and lies.
Also, I'm off to work. Cheerio!

I know I sound like a broken record, but the new episode is by Allen Blum, Levelord, Lee Jackson, etc. So if you love Duke 3D, I don't understand why the publisher overrides what would honestly seem to be right up your alley. New maps by the makers of those classics, etc.

Rock on, and Jet Jaguar is great by the way.

PsychoGoatee said:

you two like to troll threads for games you're not interested in. :P

That's a bold accusation.

PsychoGoatee said:

I know I sound like a broken record, but the new episode is by Allen Blum, Levelord, Lee Jackson, etc.

We know, for the hundredth time.

I already roasted myself with self-deprecating humor in both posts, your need to want to further roast me would just make an overly roasted peanut. But again, we all have our hobbies.

You seem to enjoy hanging out in this topic, what's your opinion on Duke Nukem 3D, Cyanosis? Or the level design in particular.

Is it really considered trolling to voice one's opinion on why this $20 package is a garbage deal? It's only considered trolling to you because you feel the need to constantly defend it.

CARRiON said:

Is it really considered trolling to voice one's opinion on why this $20 package is a garbage deal? It's only considered trolling to you because you feel the need to constantly defend it.

I figured somebody might post this or say hey do I want a hugbox, speaking of which Doug Huggem is really funny. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YGu4zQgTvg

And I have said "fair enough" to people who aren't interested in buying the game, just also bring up some discussion points. If 20 is too high, could wait for a sale.

I put a ":P" next to it to denote humor, and included myself for my repetitive posting as well. I do think it's fair to say Cyan there is continually posting in this thread just to throw negative barbs though. I'd be happy to move the discussion along, that's why I just asked Cyan about a video game.

PsychoGoatee said:

There were 13 years between Ninja Gaiden III and Ninja Gaiden on Xbox, being "near dead" because the next full Duke game is probably a few years away is a bit overly dramatic. Was Doom "near dead" for the 12 years between Doom 3 and DOOM? And of course if we bring community into it, Duke still gets terrific releases as of this month. (check out Shaky Grounds)

Maybe it's because I'm a Duke fan (as we know he took a while one time), but c'mon, Duke has plenty of time. There'll be another full on new Duke game at some point, and if they feel like licensing it out a bit after like in the late 90s, we may see other Duke games too. It's a pretty cool license to have, I don't see them letting it collect dust.

The Point is that DNF killed DUKE, it did show us that sadly DUKE itself is a product of the 90s. Which doesn´t blend well in this era. It has nothing to do with the years between games
Second they don´t respect their own fans, like removing Duke Nukem 3d Megaton Edition from the Store.

Wild Dog said:

The Point is that DNF killed DUKE, it did show us that sadly DUKE itself is a product of the 90s. Which doesn´t blend well in this era. It has nothing to do with the years between games
Second they don´t respect their own fans, like removing Duke Nukem 3d Megaton Edition from the Store.

Lol it doesn't show that Duke is a product of the 90s. What it showed is that George couldn't decide upon good design choices and instead kept scrapping completed work when other games gave him a new "idea." DNF is THE product of piss-poor management. No more, no less. Ironically DNF has the "Glory Kill" mechanic NuDoom has, just wrapped differently. DNF is a prime example of what consolitis can do to a game.

Randy and Gearbox is a different story altogether.

Flesh420 said:

Lol it doesn't show that Duke is a product of the 90s. What it showed is that George couldn't decide upon good design choices and instead kept scrapping completed work when other games gave him a new "idea."

Hey man, they kept serving free wings at the strip club.

This is twenty fucking dollars? For one new episode? Because there isn't countless episodes and other maps online for free that are probably better than this? I'm not seeing the value here honestly.

Also Polygon can't play anything to save their life.

Cyanosis said:

Also Polygon can't play anything to save their life.

Shots fired

Into the wall, 50 feet away from an enemy.

Most of the re-recorded voices didn't seem awful (except for the unf sound when hitting unusable walls seen in the video of e1l1), but the pain screams seem a bit off. Like there's not enough actual... emotion I guess to it. Just sounds like an older man giving a half hearted scream.

the rest of the sound is still pretty off, though. Things that were already pitch shifted like the atomic health sound in particular are extra off.

The level did look okay though. Maybe not the most amazing thing ever, but its not awful for sure. Definitely does have a great duke3d vibe to it

Having actually played this level thanks to secret contacts, I can tell you what to expect from Gearbox's latest.

1) I am sad to report that the textures featured in this demo are not what is included in the steam package. Expect a much, much lower resolution in the final release.

2) The shattering glass effect won't happen due to your processor being utterly inadequate and unable to handle the sheer awesomeness that Randy shits out of his saintly asshole on a three-hourly basis.

3) Gearbox have removed the pool tables. Expect them to be available in the final quarter as premium DLC.

4) Duke's famous 'Bitchin' comment has been re-worked and re-recorded in order to make it less offensive to bitches.

5) Likewise, it's 2016. Strippers now have penises.

6) The Ego system from Duke Forever has been reworked and repackaged for this game. Expect Depression points to continually sap Duke's will to live. When you max out, Duke commits suicide and you have to restart the level.

7) Expect a new and exciting take on paywalls. In order to clip through certain linedefs, you will need a credit card.

darknation said:

I am sad to report that the textures featured in this demo are not what is included in the steam package. Expect a much, much lower resolution in the final release.

Before the sarcasm kicked in hard I actually was terrified at the thought of downgraded textures in a BUILD engine game.

What kind of a total failure you have to be to take 20 year old sounds and somehow make them WORSE? Seriously? In what kind of world are we living in that my copy of Duke3D under Dosbox sounds better than this 2016 re-release?