Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CrimCuttle

How to make monsters pass through ceilings?

I have a floor lift with a monster on top, and a 3D floor above it.
I want the floor to lift up, bringing the monster with it, through the 3D floor.
How do I accomplish this?

Each 3D floor is either solid or non-solid, so that either nothing can pass through it or anything can pass through it, respectively. If you don't need your 3D floor to be solid, just make it non-solid. If you need it to be solid and just let monsters seemingly pass through it once, maybe you could use a script that would group teleport them onto the 3D floor when the lift approached the 3D floor.

scifista42 said:

Each 3D floor is either solid or non-solid, so that either nothing can pass through it or anything can pass through it, respectively. If you don't need your 3D floor to be solid, just make it non-solid. If you need it to be solid and just let monsters seemingly pass through it once, maybe you could use a script that would group teleport them onto the 3D floor when the lift approached the 3D floor.

How does one make it non=solid?

I have never tried this. What does happen to the monster when the lift goes through the 3d floor? Or is it also impossible for the lift itself to go through the 3d floor? You know what, I'll go experiment and find out for myself.

CrimCuttle said:

How does one make it non=solid?

Check "Non solid" Linedef action flag on 3D Floor Sector control sidedef properties, Should be under the Sector Set 3D Floor Linedef effect .

I tried it and now I see: the lift gets stuck because the monster is blocking it. The problem is, if you make the 3d floor not solid, you can't walk on it.

There is an old trick that dates back to vanilla Doom if you want the monster to rise from the floor. Make a pit in the floor with the monster in it and no texture on the lower walls of the pit, and make the pit low enough that the player can't see the bottom. The player will not see the pit and it will look like a solid floor. Have a line that the player must cross before he gets to the pit raise the floor of the pit to the height of the floor, and the monster will appear to rise through a solid floor. This achieves the same thing without the need for a 3d floor.

Empyre said:

I tried it and now I see: the lift gets stuck because the monster is blocking it. The problem is, if you make the 3d floor not solid, you can't walk on it.

There is an old trick that dates back to vanilla Doom if you want the monster to rise from the floor. Make a pit in the floor with the monster in it and no texture on the lower walls of the pit, and make the pit low enough that the player can't see the bottom. The player will not see the pit and it will look like a solid floor. Have a line that the player must cross before he gets to the pit raise the floor of the pit to the height of the floor, and the monster will appear to rise through a solid floor. This achieves the same thing without the need for a 3d floor.

Could you provide a visual example, like a screenshot? I'm having trouble following.
Wouldn't a textureless pit make a hall of mirrors effect?

I did something similar in my Black Magnetic. But I had the 3d floor moving up together with the lift, so it seemed that the 3d floor was like an hatch or similar.

^ It's possibly because your 3D Floor control sector is tagged same as where you put your 3D Floor in map, tag your 3D Floor Control sector "0" and it won't move with it .

DMGUYDZ64 said:

^ It's possibly because your 3D Floor control sector is tagged same as where you put your 3D Floor in map, tag your 3D Floor Control sector "0" and it won't move with it .

No, I wanted to move with it. It really seems to be an hatch opening, it is a nice effect.