Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MTF Sergeant

How much of a 'Doom Master' are you?

dsm said:

Still haven't worked up the nerve to play Doom 2016 on Nightmare, because I still find UV a challenge to play well.

Well, I played the new Doom on UV when I got it for the first time. But after completing it, I went straight for playing the game on Ultra Nightmare. But I died on the first try!

AbhinandAnilDoomguy said:

Yeah. Have you ever played Doom 3 on Veteran/Nightmare?

There's (Ultimate) Doom, Doom2 and Final Doom. What's 'Doom 3'?

DoomGater said:

There's (Ultimate) Doom, Doom2 and Final Doom. What's 'Doom 3'?

Some knockoff by those jerks at Ego Software, the same who brought us SPISPOPD.

Depends on how difficult the wad is!

The original games I can get through on UV (using M+K, naturally) but I struggle with modern wads on UV so usually play on HMP. Certainly the maps I design I tailor so HMP is doable, whereas UV is beyond my capacity.

Funny thing is a gaming magazine referred to the SNES version of Doom as Doom 3. If you came up to someone versed in Doom and said "Did you know Doom 3 came out on the SNES?", they'd probably freak out wonder how in the Hell id managed to pull it off. XD

I haven't beaten Sunlust yet. I'm not even sure if I've ever beaten Doom/D2 on UV. Not a Doom master but I'm slowly learning. Does that make me a Doom apprentice?

As a 19 year doom veteran, I found UV to be TOO easy. Now, I'm not trying to say "HA! Call me the master!", nor do I want to try be the best, but I'm still a very good player! Occasionally, I do blunder, but that's okay. We're all human. :)

HavoX said:

As a 19 year doom veteran, I found UV to be TOO easy. Now, I'm not trying to say "HA! Call me the master!", nor do I want to try be the best, but I'm still a very good player! Occasionally, I do blunder, but that's okay. We're all human. :)

..no offense intended, but how can one be a vet,
being 4 years younger than the game itself?

I'd guess a vet is someone who played doom back in december 1993!

I used to play exclusively on UV because I had the silly idea that it was the "right" way to play Doom.

Then I gave Going Down a go on HMP, and I started having fun because I wasn't dying every other minute and breaking the flow of joyful running and gunning.

So I guess that means I'm no Doom Master. bleh

Thats kind of silly, To say someone who hass played a game more then tens years is not a veteran of a specific game seems a bit outlandish to me. Someone who has played chess their whole life could easily be called a chess veteran yet chess is over a thousand years old.

I tried playing doom 2 from start to finish in one run with no deaths and no saves until I got to map19 and a slow crusher got me. I was doing really well too, just got a little lost because my memory was hazy and I didn't know the walkover action for the crusher was repeatable

I got a MasterBowl ring when they actually mattered.

I sold it for a box of Kaboom cereal in 2010.

MetroidJunkie said:

Funny thing is a gaming magazine referred to the SNES version of Doom as Doom 3. If you came up to someone versed in Doom and said "Did you know Doom 3 came out on the SNES?", they'd probably freak out wonder how in the Hell id managed to pull it off. XD

http://67.media.tumblr.com/00e3614f54856c3a87aca5112b4d29e8/tumblr_nj2tmcN6ox1smreryo1_1280.jpg

Okay, if anyone bothers to read this image closely, it's pretty hilarious.

I love that the SNES ad is acting as if it's a new campaign. I saw that a few years ago and kind of wanted to make my own SNES Doom episode, something fun while not taxing the hardware. Might be possible soon now that some more strides have been made in dissecting the SNES map format

40oz said:

I tried playing doom 2 from start to finish in one run with no deaths and no saves until I got to map19 and a slow crusher got me. I was doing really well too, just got a little lost because my memory was hazy and I didn't know the walkover action for the crusher was repeatable

Fuck that stupid red brick crusher, has trolled me in about the exact same way before..

Cyanosis said:

So that would mean Doom 64 is actually Doom 4, Doom 3 is Doom 5, and Doom '16 is Doom 6. It all makes sense now.

But it says to watch out for the fabled Ultra 64 version, so Doom 64 is just a port of Doom 3. Or maybe Doom 64 is still Doom 64 while being Doom 4, and there's also a secret Doom 3 64 out there.

DoomGater said:

..no offense intended, but how can one be a vet,
being 4 years younger than the game itself?

I'd guess a vet is someone who played doom back in december 1993!

Pretty sure he meant that he started playing doom 19 years ago, not that hes 19 years old but what do i know

40oz said:

Is beating doom 2 with no saves or deaths an achievement? Thats how I always beat it and I play on UV, of course im not saying im some super pro, just asking

Mr_B said:

Is beating doom 2 with no saves or deaths an achievement? Thats how I always beat it and I play on UV, of course im not saying im some super pro, just asking

It's a very good achievement.

DoomGater said:

..no offense intended...

None taken.

Jaxxoon R said:

But it says to watch out for the fabled Ultra 64 version

Hey, I remember reading that!

I'm such a master that I can drink lots of cheap sake while playing and still defeat my enemies through my "drunken monkey" style.

I've gunned down a Revenant with a pistol once, considering you have to kill the Cacodemons at the start of E3M1 with just the pistol it's actually easier since Revs have 100 less hit points than Cacos.

Cyanosis said:

I've gunned down a Revenant with a pistol once, considering you have to kill the Cacodemons at the start of E3M1 with just the pistol it's actually easier since Revs have 100 less hit points than Cacos.

Or you get them out in the open, rush past them, grab the shotgun, and then proceed to use ole' boomy on them. Or just leave if you don't care to get 100% kills. Infighting the Imps also helps.