Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doom 2 Redux (Mapset Complete. Beta Release Incoming)

^ All those are still individual downloads just like the first post.... I was saying a "complied version" of all those maps in 1 wad. Not having to spend 45 + minutes downloading each map from mediafire. If you are able to compile all these maps as I think you have mentioned in your last post, now that would be something worth looking into. + save a TON of work/time on my end.

Yeah, well it'd take a ton of work on my end.

I doubt it takes 45 minutes to download some things but i am guessing it'd take longer than that for me to compile something.

Tactical Stiffy said:

To speed this project along. I will take the Tricks and Traps slot. That will be my 7th map for this project lol.

If you want I can give you a whole bunch of Ideas for the level that I wanted to implement. But I didn't have time to work out or completely piece together.

Jimp Argon said:

wow, this project looks great! I only wish it had a beta with all the maps compiled like TNT Revilution does.

I recently made a third demo with all the levels in the right slot. A couple levels are still missing though. Haven't given to any one yet.

nxGangrel said:

I recently made a third demo with all the levels in the right slot. A couple levels are still missing though. Haven't given to any one yet.

Any chance on you sharing that here? It would help out with testing. Seeing as how the player would be able to jump to any map instead of having to exit the game and load another map wad. It just makes sense to have everything compiled.

I'll PM the demo to anyone who requests it. (I'll PM you the demo soon). I have to update two maps first before I will.

DoomLover234 said:

I can try to whip something up from scratch, what maps need MIDIs?

^If it's okay with Scotty could you make a midi for map 17? Map 14 could use one too. Something Ambient would be nice. Similar to the original track if possible.

I didn't realise custom music was compulsory but if so i'll find something suitable myself no worries :)

^Its not. But it's kinda suggested. We don't need midi composers, but if people want to make them, we have to fill in the blanks.

Well, ok i'll find something. Either way i'd rather sort the music out myself as i think it's such an important part of the atmosphere of a map...

http://www.mediafire.com/download/owx32b4i877xv38/MAP08.wad

Alright here it is, a fun little map where you can choose your own path. There are a few areas that I want to add more stuff too already but I'll submit my rough draft. I think there might be too many rewards for some things but hey, the original was like that too so here ya go. I would of submitted screenshots but I ran out of time.

Tactical Stiffy said:

Alright here it is, a fun little map where you can choose your own path. There are a few areas that I want to add more stuff too already but I'll submit my rough draft. I think there might be too many rewards for some things but hey, the original was like that too so here ya go. I would of submitted screenshots but I ran out of time.

Amusingly the first room i went into was the spider room (a nice reimagining on the original) yet somehow survived with 2 arachnotrons taking out the mastermind on their own...

I think you were incredibly generous in this map (as you seem to already know) with easily found, powerful secrets. The megasphere in the PR room was obvious and i think the other megasphere and soulsphere were too close together (ie only one would have been fine).

Generally some nice set plays although i feel the map was basic compared to the original and could do with more detailing and layout work in some areas.

nxGangrel said:

I've got a Beta of Map 15! 40oz's edited level.
It's got no difficulty levels yet, the difficulty is UV. (So don't test it if you don't play in UV)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/s7xux20x6x4190e/MAP15.wad

Also, Where is Trace?

I know it's a beta but here's some of my thoughts. Overall, a map with fantastic potential, a great layout and good fun to explore, good job. I just spent 45 minutes running around the level trying to find everything and did manage the secret exit (which was nicely done) but only got 70% secrets. At first i missed the rocket launcher, PR AND BFG (which i don't think was really useful for this map per se, a cell pack to use with the PR would have been just fine), so yeah i had a tougher time with it. Regardless here's my suggestions for areas that might be improved:

Start is rough as hell with all the gunners... a chaingun pickup earlier on would be fun as you could go on the offensive a bit more. Maybe an invisibility secret would be good, assuming i didn't miss one! The RK room trap was easily cheesable and i basically could easily ignore the PEs and Cacos there, was there a monster blocking line at the room entrance? Texture Alignment needs sorting in numerous areas. The BFG teleporter itself is tagged as secret and i only triggered it by accident when noclipping around. The regular Exit area was just annoying for me, TNT levels of bullshit there - no real cover or visibility combined with gunners and revs... if you fix one thing please let it be this area.

Those screenshots look cool nxGangrel, cant wait to try it!

And yeah its unusual Trace has an average posting rate of three and a half posts a day and yet his last post was a day ago. That's not like him.

Tactical Stiffy said:

The spiderdemon and the closet PE/caco on the silver teleporter side are stuck in prBoom+ -cl 9.

scotty said:

Start is rough as hell with all the gunners... a chaingun pickup earlier on would be fun as you could go on the offensive a bit more. Maybe an invisibility secret would be good, assuming i didn't miss one! The RK room trap was easily cheesable and i basically could easily ignore the PEs and Cacos there, was there a monster blocking line at the room entrance? Texture Alignment needs sorting in numerous areas. The BFG teleporter itself is tagged as secret and i only triggered it by accident when noclipping around. The regular Exit area was just annoying for me, TNT levels of bullshit there - no real cover or visibility combined with gunners and revs... if you fix one thing please let it be this area.

Thanks for the review Scotty!
I'll fix with a couple things that were mentioned here. I'll replace the BFG secret with the Plasma Rifle, and the original PR secret with Light Amp goggles in particular.
I did really cheese out that last area (hilariously the only area 40oz had nothing to do with). I'll remodel the lava area and re do some monster placements(not just in the exit area). The BFG secret worked for me, I try to fix that somehow. I have an idea how to.

Also fun fact, only 90% of the secrets can be triggered. The reason is pretty obvious, also I was being a bit of a dick; I added an "OOPS" on the floor of the "secret".

Have a Good Time at fUnLaNd children!

Alright I decided to make another draft of MAP08 and fixed up some of my other maps a tad and bundled them all together in one folder.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/u85us67f71too2y/Stiffy%27s+Redux+Maps.zip

I took Scotty's advice on adding more detail to the map but I didn't want to add too much because it would spoil the style of Sandy's original map if I added too much. I also updated MAP04 mostly, so Trace you are gonna have to recreate the last room in map03 (or just copy paste mine).

All music tracks I used for my maps are from http://midimelody.ru/

MAP04 Threshold - Light and Space

MAP05 Nightwish - Elvenpath

MAP08 Children of Bodom - Children of Decadence

MAP16 King Diamond - Welcome Home

MAP20 Dream Theater - Home

MAP27 Iced Earth - Travel in Stygian

MAP28 Symphony X - Awakenings

A few of these I haven't touched in a while like MAP16 and 27

I thought this thread was in need of reviving...but no...yet again my notifications have somehow fucked me.

Anyway, I came here to say that I would like to see this done by November so it can be showcased in TheMionicDonut's 24 Hours Of Doom cancer charity doom stream. I would also like to encourage everybody involved in this project to donate to the cause.

*Donation is not necessary for involvement in D2R.

Map 15 will be done soon. And I'll rework map 24. Then the main mapset will be done!

Trace do you still want a secret level? I wouldn't mind having one secret map that's a special kind of level for the project. But I think having two would cause longer time for the project to be done.

Yes. Still need two secret levels for the project.

To expedite it, we'll use Behind The Scenes (an early submission) and whatever map you want for our secret maps. No more E1M1 collaboration. Cool idea, but it'd take forever.

I also still need to fix the exit for Barrels.

Damn.

Alright last call for secret submissions. If anybody wants to have a secret map considered, PM me or Gangrel the wad.

Gustavo6046 said:

This is my entry to MAP31. Did you liked it? You can change it to other slot later if you don't think it can enter slot 31, it is a good cluster-transition map as you "travel to Hell" in a nice starship... I tried to make it Boom-compatible but I can't test it without PrBoom+, that's why the MAPINFO.
PS: Oh, and it's a bad idea to have Scifista a playtester, he prefer non-linear maps, and no one else likes that. Someone once told me not to hear his opinions and you shouldn't too.

Here's one submission but the quality of the map is not too good.

ArchvileHunter said:

Actually, the potential secret map I talked about is done already. Mostly. It's balanced around a pistol start, so maybe we can have a death exit for map15's secret exit?
It takes around 15-20 minutes to complete with 100 % kills, items and secrets (yeah).

I tried to recreate the first hub of Quake 2 in Doom from memory, since I used to play Q2 a lot, and this is the result. I added a secret exit too, but it's probably just a placeholder for now...
The entire level was made in Doom 2 format, but the added secret exit uses a Boom-conveyor belt.

Map slot 31 for those who are wondering.

Link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/0r3a8gep4upsvwe/Q2HUB1_in_Doom.wad

Here is another, and I think that's it

I banned Gustavo from having anything to do with this project because of that submission. No way. Haha

nxGangrel said:

Map 15 will be done soon. And I'll rework map 24. Then the main mapset will be done!

Trace do you still want a secret level? I wouldn't mind having one secret map that's a special kind of level for the project. But I think having two would cause longer time for the project to be done.

I did do some more work on Map24 since that first version i sent, and i added new music but i think the final area needs completely redoing and everywhere else needs tweaks. Want me to send over where i got to or can i do some more with the map first?

scotty said:

Want me to send over where i got to or can i do some more with the map first?

Which ever one you feel like.
I'm still finishing Map 15 at the moment.

It seems the time has come for the final maplist (for the regular levels). I don't want to go around looking for links again. I made a third demo with (almost) all the levels present. The demo will be updated should a map be updated. If you want to play what's been made, ask me and I'll PM you the demo.

:Tech Base Levels:
Map 01 - Trace of Spades
Map 02 - Trace of Spades
Map 03 - Trace of Spades, nxGangrel
Map 04 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 05 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 06 - ArchvileHunter

:Hell Base Levels:
Map 07 - WildMajora
Map 08 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 09 - Ninehills42
Map 10 - Muumi
Map 11 - Joe-ilya

:City Levels:
Map 12 - SotaPoika
Map 13 - nxGangrel
Map 14 - nxGangrel
Map 15 - nxGangrel, 40oz
Map 16 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 17 - Scotty
Map 18 - Joe-ilya
Map 19 - SotaPoika
Map 20 - Tactical Stiffy

:The Hell Levels:
Map 21 - Joe-ilya
Map 22 - nxGangrel
Map 23 - Trace of Spades
Map 24 - Scotty, nxGangrel (Still in Progress)
Map 25 - ArchvileHunter
Map 26 - ArchvileHunter, nxGangrel
Map 27 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 28 - Tactical Stiffy
Map 29 - nxGangrel
Map 30 - Trace of Spades, Scotty

Oh my goddess. I just realized this project is a year and a month old now.

I only really did some small detailing on map30, not sure that is worth crediting as ToS did most of the work!

Chasm latest; i have finally found the inspiration with this level! Will keep plugging at it at least until Gangrel finishes on map15. Trying to ditch the techbase feel of some extra areas in the original *as suggested!) and replace them with textures that better represent a large, old, forgotten area of hell. Pretty pleased with the latest area (3rd image), i've been working on using lighting effectively to create atmosphere and will continue to use that in this level.