Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Do castles make good Doom maps?

I was looking at some blueprints for castle layouts that I found on Google the other day, and was observing them. The 90's had plenty of Castle invasion maps, and there doesn't appear to be many of those style maps anymore. A lot of these layouts look pretty cool if you can imagine them as sectors, but I wonder if the idea of modeling these layouts too closely would make a pretty antiquated map.

Castle brick textures are still pretty prevalent in a lot of wads, but maps that genuinely resemble castles seem few and far between these days. I suspect that a really good castle map could certainly be made by a really good mapper if they take the time, but I'm not sure if people find that gothic/lovecraftian quake-style stuff to be very appealing anymore.

Can castles make a comeback or is the idea of playing Doom in another castle map seem like a trend that is best left behind?

Bloodstain has a great looking castle in map15, complete with accessible ramparts, towers, keeps and all that jazz. You can also go pretty much everywhere you can see in it. I have a hard time recalling another open, authentic looking castle map though.

Obviously Eternal Doom is plenty of cool castle maps, and in particular Chris Couleur sometimes uses more irregular or not really symmetrical shapes that give a nice touch to the places.

Freedoom's map19 is a cool castle map.
The second picture resembles the layout of map19.

If the courtyard and surrounding area is too expansive (like, say, 360 around the keep/castle, like in the right-hand map), you quickly run out of "1-sided space" in those areas, to hide your monster closets, monster teleport storages and such, confining yourself mostly to static and pop-out-of-the ground type monster enounters.

Love me a good castle though - they'll never go completely out of style.

I think castle and other type of Doom "sandbox" maps are really great if you will. They really can give a nice contrast in contemporary flow to a mapset. Doom 2 itself has quite a few of these That I enjoyed very much. What I personally like about them is usually the levels are quite open but retains all these interesting buildings that can be visited in different orders, And we're able to take our pick on wich to enter first. I feel That it makes for easy non-linearity as we can set up different situations that will change the order of progress on the map.