Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultraviolet

Suddenly it works?

So... suddenly the response-notification-via-e-mail works for hotmail users? It didn't before. I found two messages in my inbox from "Nobody" just a minute ago informing me that there have been more responses in a thread I posted in.

Is it just me, or was this not working before?
Maybe I'm just not clear on the specifics of how it works. I mean, it sounds simple: Post in a thread, get an e-mail notifying you if anybody else posts in that thread...

The hell? It works now?

I have no idea. I don't run the server and why mail doesn't work in the first place is beyond me.

Heh. What I meant to say was "I am deeply grateful."

It's probably only working intermittently. I'll have to check my inbox again and see...

O it works...it works alright...I get a freaking E-mail every 5 minutes, I now hold the record of 37 new E-mails today...I feel so proud, yet not fully satisfied...I no longer have to check the forums to see if someone has posted...its much more convenient this way :)

That's a scary thought, although I've had worse.
One time a spambot malfunctioned and sent messages intended for everyone on a mailing list to ONLY me. I got about 20,000 e-mails, all from the same sender, time, date, subject...

When running a BBS, the mail was sent via phone lines during the night, onto the next BBS etc, it took about 3 days for an e-mail to get to America via this route, but my server fell in love with a server in London, and every night, instead of a quick auto-dial, 2 mins sending mail and receiving, it used to stay on-line for 4 hours, @$4/hour this worked up quite a bill :)

Heh. Time for me to disable it: "You have 123 new messages" (in 1 day.) This thing worked during the early days of the forum, I think, but then not any more. It's only useful if you post once every blue moon. In general I think it's not a good feature; the servers are slow already, if they are constantly e-mailing every poster who enabled this... well, that can't help an overburdened server.

The search function seems to work as well now. Dunno about anyone else, but previously I would get some message or other about the function being restricted, but I used it successfully a couple of times yesterday.

Enjay said:

The search function seems to work as well now. Dunno about anyone else, but previously I would get some message or other about the function being restricted, but I used it successfully a couple of times yesterday.

That's really old news though. =P

orion said:

That's really old news though. =P

Oh well. I'm behind the times. Finger nowhere near the pulse I guess. :-)