Better Add-On

Which is better?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel
    • Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders
    • Both
    • Neither

Heh, I'm afraid I'll have to tell you your poll doesn't make much sense. While the Hexen add-on is truly an add-on that you have to acquire separately, the Heretic one is not, it's the final version of the full game like Ultimate DOOM is for DOOM.

Anyway, if I had to compare... I can't, I do have Hexen, but not the add-on.

I do, and I like the Hexen expansion pack better. The Heretic addon is almost exactly like Ultimate Doom. It's just the same Heretic (with almost unnoticable differences) with two bonus episodes.

Someone sent me the Deathkings wad and I played through the first hub and a half, but I never finished it. I'll vote Heretic since I like Heretic better anyway, and I actually played through Shadows.

I've not played any of these add-ons and it hurts me to think about it! I heard that deathkings was hard and script-buggy.

It's hard, mainly because a lot of enemies tend to appear quite regularly. However, I haven't seen any script problems. I guess I just wasn't paying attention to it.

I've never had a scripting error with Deathkings. The only real bug I can think of regarding Hexen's ACS is in Gibbet, when the walls lower to reveal Heresiarch for the second time.

It's hard. Really hard. Most Doomers won't have any real problems beating it, but I specifically remember trying to finish this addon with the Fighter class, just after beating the original campaign for the first time. I just couldn't keep up after the third or fourth level.

If you find Hexen difficult, heh, go for the Mage Class if you attempt to finish this thing.