Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Minor map fixing project

I decided to start a minor fixes project for the Doom 1 and 2 maps. So far I've only done episode 1, but that's only because I started on it tonight.

I'm rebuilding the nodes with ZenNode to reduce visual problems, but am retaining the original REJECT lumps to retain gameplay. I'm not deleting or restoring things not flagged for any difficulty. I aim to fix any HOMs.

I'd like your help in finding problems that need fixing, or any other suggestions you may have.

The only creative liberty I took (and ever intend to take) was in restoring the swastika in E1M4.

Due to the commercial nature of episodes 2-4 and Doom 2, all future releases will be patches instead of direct WADs. Note that the resulting files will not be patched IWADs, but rather PWADs with only maps (and a changelog) in them.

Download the demo here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/3iv7pvw2nttz0j9/d1mapfix.wad?dl=0

Changelog here: http://pastebin.com/pWLrV6Fp

Nice Project, though I Think there's a Project with a similar goal here: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=44671
Maybe you guys can collaborate? :)

Also, I personally agree with Glaice, I don't Think there's that much of a reason with going though the trouble with making patches, especially now since Romero released the source to almost all the maps anyways. But it's not my thing to decide after all.

Good luck anyways. :D

Doesn't Doom Retro include a lot of hardcoded minor fixes for the IWAD levels?

Blastfrog said:

The only creative liberty I took (and ever intend to take) was in restoring the swastika in E1M4.

So it's really a "minor fixes and also things I want to change" project. Since you're rebuilding nodes and outright changing geometry it's clear you don't care about demo compatibility, so what exactly is the point of this?

I don't care about that dumb swastika, it wasn't part of the earlier designs of the map and it was replaced by a more interesting shape. Why would I want it back?

It's about anal attempts to get rid of the things that annoy you in a game you really like. I'd do it myself, but I know I won't be able to draw a line.

@Linguica

I don't care about demo compatibility, the fixes are more important to me even if it means demo compatibility goes out the window.

Again I'll note that the swastika is the only creative liberty I'll take.

Brad Harding actually contacted me to inform me of Doom Retro's fixes. I'll incorporate those fixes as well.

@Gez

The alpha versions are not relevant, the swastika was a Wolf 3D homage and was part of the way the game was released. It was an iconic element of the level and I feel it was a mistake to change it in the name of censorship. I feel the same way about it as the BFG edition changes.

Should I use the original nodes? I'm inclined not to so there's less slime trails, but I want to know if there's a compelling reason to use the original nodes.

Thing is, I'm moving some things to get them unstuck, so demo compatibility is already compromised.

Also, should I use the censored version of E1M4? Personally, I really don't want to, but if using the uncensored version is unpopular with enough people I will use the censored version.

Blastfrog said:

Should I use the original nodes? I'm inclined not to so there's less slime trails, but I want to know if there's a compelling reason to use the original nodes.

Thing is, I'm moving some things to get them unstuck, so demo compatibility is already compromised.

Also, should I use the censored version of E1M4? Personally, I really don't want to, but if using the uncensored version is unpopular with enough people I will use the censored version.

Use the swastika, it was intended and originally there before people cried about it. I can't see why some people would cry about that and not cry about its use in Wolfenstein.... Id say go with the way it was originally intended and not care what people think. Its only 1 freakin room anyways. Deal with it.

What's your deal with shoving the swastika everytime you patch up the game?
ID software did the right thing to not look like a buncha skinheads and not ruin their image as people.

Da Werecat said:

So I guess exposing themselves as horrible satanists was okay.

Because killing demons is satanic, fuck logic, am I right?

That's like saying you're a jew because you kill jews.

If people think that having a swastika in reference to Wolfenstein makes id nazis, then people think that having demons and pentagrams makes id satanists. Because these people don't use logic. They didn't in 93 and evidently they still don't.

Not everyone who played doom understood the refrence or even knew about the history of ID, so ID made sure nobody does that mistake.

I even thought John Romero was a nazi because of that swastika in Commander Keen 5 as a child.

joe-ilya said:

I even thought John Romero was a nazi because of that swastika in Commander Keen 5 as a child.

I will say that was a huge mistake. Not only did Wolf 3D not come out yet, but it's a kid's game.

Doom is a different matter.

joe-ilya said:

Quit getting so triggered and grow up.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
joe-ilya said:

You made a pony HUD replacement, so clearly you want to fuck horses IRL.

Jimp Argon said:

Quit getting so triggered and grow up.

So you're telling HIS PAST CHILD SELF to grow up?

And in any event, why would a jewish person, playing a quirky childish platformer and coming across a swastika, possibly think anything of it? Weird.

Please no more swastika talk. It's his mod, he can restore the room as it was originally.

VGA said:

Please no more swastika talk. It's his mod, he can restore the room as it was originally.

It's my mod, sure, but I want it to be useful to as many people as possible.

I actually want as much feedback as possible, and feel I've barely gotten any (only a handful of people have said anything).

Fisk said:

You made a pony HUD replacement, so clearly you want to fuck horses IRL.

"You hang around mostly male friends, you clearly want to fuck them"... How did you come to this conclusion? Douchebag.

Linguica said:

So you're telling HIS PAST CHILD SELF to grow up?

You tell 'em, boss.

VGA said:

It just bothers me that someone has such passion to return a swastika into a room just because, uh, a reason I don't think I want to know.

joe-ilya said:

It just bothers me that someone has such passion to return a swastika into a room just because, uh, a reason I don't think I want to know.

I think it's because the swastika is a nice homage to Wolf3D and was the original design for that room.

Isn't the swastika originally Buddha's?

Voros said:

I think it's because the swastika is a nice homage to Wolf3D and was the original design for that room.

Nah, it wasn't in the original design for that room. Originally, there was a different symbol.

I personally think that having either swastika or the symbol we see in the final version is wrong because, while swastika promotes nazism, the symbol from the final version looks like Hebrew letter Alef, which obviously promotes zionism. Hahah, i'm joking of course. I just prefer that symbol from Alpha version.