Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
grahf

DOOM Environmental Photography in 4K - Vega Processing

I've been working on this awhile and thought it was time to show it off. I'm a semi-pro photographer and I have been super impressed with Photo Mode and the freedom to compose shots in DOOM any way I wanted.

So I started work on some photos with a single theme, taken at super-high resolution (8K - 7680x4320). The idea was to treat it like a real-life architectural photo-shoot. IMO some of the most interesting environments that caught my eye in the campaign are in the Vega level, so that is where I focused my efforts.

The next thing I did is post-process every photo by hand in Photoshop/Lightroom. I wouldn't say that drastically altered the character of any scene, moreso it provided a more balanced contrast that fits my particular style. Finally I downsampled the photos to 4k resolution.

Hope you like it! :D

Impressive work! One of the most beautiful levels is (IMO) The Foundry. But I'm not sure how good the hot steel/lava shaders work in 8K. Maybe they look weird.

Krimson Madness said:

Nicely done mate.

Piper Maru said:

Very impressive.

Impressive work! One of the most beautiful levels is (IMO) The Foundry. But I'm not sure how good the hot steel/lava shaders work in 8K. Maybe they look weird.

Hey thank you all for checking it out and I'm really glad you liked it!

On The Foundry, it is definitely on my radar as another possible level to consider as a future theme. I don't really know how it translates to 8k yet, haven't taken any test shots. You are right though, some effects look weird in 8k. In particular the depth-of-field effect is completely different (much less noticeable) in 8k than 1080p. Since I'm hotsampling at 8k (line up the shot in 1080p, switch to 8k and I can't even see the whole scene anymore during the capture) I have to guess what the depth-of-field will look like at 8k.

In the final shot of the bridge to Vega Core I liked the extreme depth-of-field much better in 1080p so I actually took the shot at both resolutions and masked out the out of focus areas in Photoshop so the in-focus stuff is from 8k and out of focus from 1080p. Whew!

There are some nice pictures in there but why on earth is this a youtube video instead of a series of images?

These shots remind me of something id has and other companies dont: Creative art design.

There is a link to the imgur album of 4k images in the comments of the video. I did it as a video because it was a fun experiment. I've never done a 4k video before and I wanted to see how the quality would turn out. I also like the multimedia aspect of having the awesome Vega soundtrack playing while checking out the photos which is obviously not possible with an image album.

AirRaid said:

There are some nice pictures in there but why on earth is this a youtube video instead of a series of images?

AirRaid said:

Because it's a good way of showing off your photos by having them move subtly and fade out. And why specifically youtube? Because people will actually find it.