Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RonLivingston

Any cool map ideas?

So you mean making maps accurate to real-world locations?

Here's an incomplete map I made of my office in about half an hour: http://doomshack.org/uploads/office_doomkid.zip Not much to see, but what's there is pretty darn spot-on.

Map 11 of this wad is an accurate recreation of Hackett IGA where I worked a few years ago: https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/deathmatch/d-f/dk_dm_13

Both are quite accurate. There's about a million office/house/school/workplace wads out there and it's not nearly as common as it used to be, but with the right approach any layout can be fun to play!

Making realistic looking maps in Doom is pretty damn difficult unless heavily using ZDoom features and plenty of sprite props to at least get close to Duke3D levels of realism. Not to say it's impossible, as wads like Going Down or Hellbound nailed down a believable aesthetic using mostly stock textures.

Remember jerizona 2? now, heres a map that I created, that looks similar to jerizona!

I've also thrown in a large map28 as well, which actually needs some more work

I once made a community project on this idea, but it bummed down to the ground and no one ever submitted anything in it.

I like accurate location levels, please do have the files out for testing/release so you can upload them to /idgames/ in the future.

joe-ilya said:

I once made a community project on this idea, but it bummed down to the ground and no one ever submitted anything in it.

What was it?

Mr_B said:

How about the Alcatraz prison?

Hacx has something like that.

Voros said:

What was it?

It was called "A ranDOOM community project" and it was about making maps in real places like airports, towers, volcanos, etc. (Somewhat like the earth maps in Duke Nukem 3D)

I made two maps, one was set in a tiny park with hedges, spilled trash cans filled with skulls, and a fence.
The second map was set in a tiny pub with tables, blue pillow chairs, bathrooms and the bartender set.
Scifista almost finished a library map before he realized that it's a waste of time and no-one will ever participate, so now three of those maps are stuck into Lost Maps 2.

I kinda feel that Doom actually works better when you map with the mindset of "It's Doom. It doesn't have to make sense."

This lends itself more to creating floating blocks in the air. Under water regions where water dosen't flood the structure despite nothing preventing it from doing so and Computers in Hell keeps.

Zulk-RS said:

I kinda feel that Doom actually works better when you map with the mindset of "It's Doom. It doesn't have to make sense."

This lends itself more to creating floating blocks in the air. Under water regions where water dosen't flood the structure despite nothing preventing it from doing so and Computers in Hell keeps.

That was the point in the first place, instead of focusing on an abstract representasion of a base, you could focus on an airport or another specific place with a purpose besides just being a level.