Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
R1ck

A little homework.

Yeah, Like the tittle said, I'd spent hours studying for the best lighting.

what you guys think?

Basic?

How did it take you hours to draw 2 lines and increase the brightness of that sector?

Is this a bad joke I'm just not getting?

Have you ever seen one of these?

Does this look infected to you?

What is love?

I've so many more questions than real thoughts.

Fonze said:

Basic?

How did it take you hours to draw 2 lines and increase the brightness of that sector?

Is this a bad joke I'm just not getting?

Have you ever seen one of these?

Does this look infected to you?

What is love?

I've so many more questions than real thoughts.

Some people need more time to understand the point of something.Unfortunately,i am one of those.Let's hope this person is not one of them

rickacid said:

I'd spent hours studying for the best lighting.

Sadly, you haven't learnt anything...

Nice work on the lighting, rickacid! Only a few people are able to do lighting properly like that. Most maps have default 192 lighting level all over the place.

lil'devil said:

Nice work on the lighting, rickacid! Only a few people are able to do lighting properly like that. Most maps have default 192 lighting level all over the place.

Can't tell if sarcasm or not.

Fonze said:

Basic?

well, actually the Hours I spent was figuring out the texture that can blend with the lighting.

Try experimenting with a more complex lighting situation and post it. What you've shown us is pretty rudimentary. Get more ambitious.

Making realistic light in Doom is annoying. But if you want your level to look stylish, there is pressure to make it realistic. Since it's so annoying, decent setups are severely limited. Here's an infographic:

I even see in the original post the wall from the trench being wrongly lit.

Yeah, I did some more homework. still look pale though. I need to work more tbh

EDIT:

printz said:

Making realistic light in Doom is annoying. But if you want your level to look stylish, there is pressure to make it realistic. Since it's so annoying, decent setups are severely limited.

Thanks for the tips. I stole the picture for future reference

The standalone wall that casts a shadow doesn't work logically with the lighting because of how light levels work in sectors.

I suggest making the shadow smaller (so it doesn't interfere with the lower ceiling) and raising the sector behind the wall by about ~288 units without texturing the walls around it. This causes the bleeding flats effect which negates both light levels on the ceiling or floor that you've lowered, and creates a fake floor/ceiling in its place.

Example:

http://imgur.com/a/6kb5d

It's a very well known trick and very effective when utilized correctly.

Six said:

The standalone wall that casts a shadow doesn't work logically with the lighting because of how light levels work in sectors.

I suggest making the shadow smaller (so it doesn't interfere with the lower ceiling) and raising the sector behind the wall by about ~288 units without texturing the walls around it. This causes the bleeding flats effect which negates both light levels on the ceiling or floor that you've lowered, and creates a fake floor/ceiling in its place.

Example:

http://imgur.com/a/6kb5d

It's a very well known trick and very effective when utilized correctly.

Does the flat bleed effect work consistently across all ports? I would be worried about inconsistent graphical glitches.

AFAIK it works in:-

Vanilla
Chocolate
Boom (+gl)
Retro
ZDoom (+gl)
Eternity

As for everything else i can't say.

If you use ZDoom you can do some interesting 3D effects with the light by using special 50: ExtraFloor_LightOnly. Here's my lazy imitation of the pictured map. I don't think the nice slope effect can be applied to the sides of the 3D floor. I didn't make any real attempt to get the angles right; I was more interested in seeing if the effect worked.