Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMBoy

My very first real Heretic PWAD

OK, so it's not much. I just want some one to take a look at it, see what they think, and suggest some changes. If you're interested, AIM me, or tell me your e-mail and I'll send your way :)

I named it infiltrate.wad cause that's what you have to do: infiltrate a small stone keep with a nearby tower. Inside the keep is a Tome of Power. You must eliminate all opposition, take the Tome of Power, and exit! How you do this has to be found out.

Like I said, if you're interested, AIM me, or tell me your e-mail.

Good day :)

Haha, I had some fun with it, actually. Rushing the fort, grabbing goodies at the perimeter, tearing like a bandit past the guards of the Tome to get it, taking a bit of damage, now blasting back with tomed weapon. Fighting back outside, up onto the wall in position to rain death upon those below. Kill, then skip over the lava to the end.

You need to fix stuff in the back window...textures not put in right places, though the bars are.

It'd be better practice, also, to make the walls of the citadel void space, instead of a 700,700 sector.

Biffy said:
Haha, I had some fun with it, actually. Rushing the fort, grabbing goodies at the perimeter, tearing like a bandit past the guards of the Tome to get it, taking a bit of damage, now blasting back with tomed weapon. Fighting back outside, up onto the wall in position to rain death upon those below. Kill, then skip over the lava to the end.

Thanks. Glad to see someone enjoyed it :)

You need to fix stuff in the back window...textures not put in right places, though the bars are.

I tried fixing that, where the sides of the windows aren't there, but not matter what I try, I just get HOM. Plus, I tried aligning the textures, but it just didn't seem to work. Oh well.

It'd be better practice, also, to make the walls of the citadel void space, instead of a 700,700 sector.

Eh...? Could you explain what you mean?

bigbadgangsta said:

E-mail support doesn't work.

E-mail support does appear to work: clicking on "Email" brings up an e-mail link. If this information isn't meant to be available, then something has gone wrong.

DooMBoy said:

I tried fixing that, where the sides of the windows aren't there, but not matter what I try, I just get HOM. Plus, I tried aligning the textures, but it just didn't seem to work. Oh well.

Eh...? Could you explain what you mean?

I will do it and send it back to you. You do understand that your citadel walls are a sector with floor 700 and ceiling 700, so that what the player sees are the "lower" sidedefs? That will work but is not as efficient for the game engine I think, and also makes the windows possibly a little more tricky.

With WA, you'd just select the walls sector and hit the delete key. It will be turned into void space and the lines flipped as necessary to face outward, and they will be made one-sided. Then, the citadel walls will display their "main" texture instead of "lower" texture. I don't know the quickest way to fix it with DeePsea, would have to experiment.

Ok, I got it now.

It took a while for me to find the exit. Also, you have to be quick to get in, kill everything and pick up everything, and get out before the Wings of Wrath wear off. The first time I tried it, I didn't know I had to go back the way I came and I was stuck inside.

[QUOTE]Ultimate DooMer said:
[B]and me, too. (after all, I started the heretic revival....)

What the f*ck?

Ichor said:

Ok, I got it now.

It took a while for me to find the exit. Also, you have to be quick to get in, kill everything and pick up everything, and get out before the Wings of Wrath wear off. The first time I tried it, I didn't know I had to go back the way I came and I was stuck inside.

Does this mean you liked it?

A few texture quirks here and there, but other than that, it may make for a nice part to a larger map. For instance, find a Wings of Wrath somewhere, then use them to fly off a cliff to that castle to hit a switch somewhere. Then while the wings are still active, fly to the door that switch opened (maybe to the secret level). If you can't make it in time, you could just use a Chaos Device that you found there to go back. However, you won't be able to make the attempt again, and you would have to use the normal exit.

That's an interesting challenge, that. Tearing round the walls to get the ammo, dropping down to the courtyard, dashing into the room, grabbing the claw and tome, blasting everyone away with tome-enhanced weapons and then dashing to the exit. All before the wings run out. Nice.

(I only just made it by rising as high as I could, then dropping onto the exit when the wings ran out. And I didn't turn them off midway through, either - as the wings don't run down when turned off in ZDoom, only when you reactivate them)

It's a good idea though, having a wing-based map. I considered doing that for the air-themed map in my episode, but it didn't fit the windy village setting and the elemental-test theme of the map, so I settled for an aerial battle instead. I also think it would be quite hard to pull it off, as you can fly a long way in a minute.

The only way I can think of is to make each building take longer than a minute, so you have to find the wings in order to progress to the next (or back to one with a locked door). But provide one less than what's needed to reach the secret exit, so you have to be quick enough to make it...