Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
derplol3

What Do You Think is Better?

Ive been on the fence about Heretic and Hexen im wondering if anyone can help decide. Thanks for answering! (if you did)

Heretic for upbeat action, Hexen for brooding adventure. Heretic is non-stop gargoyle and golem slaughter, Hexen is equal parts switch hunt and slugfest, each having its time and place.

I always prefer Hexen, it has more thoughtful levels. also I think the combat in both raven games is a huge mess but at least in Hexen you get a super-weapon that lets you stop thinking about it =P

I think im tilting towards hexen because people say the level designs are pretty nice, even though its a switch hunt.

Hexen is the more unique experience between the two, and it sticks with you if you like it. Despite being more puzzle-y and atmospheric, it's still fun to replay and beat again from time to time.

You'll find a lot of connections to doom with Heretic. You can almost make Heretic out of Doom with a dehacked patch. Its action packed like Doom but it also comes with an inventory system that lets you collect medikits and powerups and use them when you feel you need it. The gameplay is pretty chaotic but at times it can feel like a slog as many of the monsters dont go down very easy despite not being very big looking.

Hexen has few connections to Doom, it uses a hub based level structure that lets you return to previously visited levels. The game is much more exploration and puzzle oriented in the way that you collect artifacts and keys. There are some cool monsters but they are few and far between compared to Doom. You can pick between three characters each with a different set of weapons which can sometimes alter your gameplay experience significantly. The Mage for example sucks in the beginning of the game but is useful much later, while the fighter is pretty powerful in some ways but sucks at using powerups and equipment you can hold in your inventory, which can be problematic when fighting bosses.

If you like Doom, you'll have little trouble getting into Heretic as it's almost the same game with a medieval fantasy skin over it. Hexen uses an upgraded Doom engine which allows interesting stuff to happen and is ultimately darker and prettier looking than both Doom and Heretic, but personally I didn't find the puzzles to be very intuitive. I spent a majority of my playing time being confused and backtracking a lot and I never bothered to complete the game.

Piper Maru said:

Which is better, duck or goose?

Down or Roast?

I think you should pluck them in both of those applications.