Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alfonzo

The DWIronman League dies to: *Khorus' Speedy Shit

October, 2016*

>>> Download Khorus' Speedy Shit <<<

*This month's DWIronman League challenge was originally the megawad 10 Sectors. For reasons outlined prior to this post, the set was reconsidered at the beginning of the month

Leaderboard & Streaming Schedule

1. mediafire.com/file/p4t7zlb46xe2mdw/]# Survived +2 [02:02:14] Bloodite Krypto - Sensational performance - hats off. Map28 is mandatory viewing.
  2. # Map21: WH_Wilou84 - Plasma roasts; absolute plasma roasts absolutely.
  3. # Map15: Demon of the Well - Hah! That's a first. A demon of a well who doesn't want to get his feet wet. (DNF)
  4. # Map13: Anima Zero - Caught a big one after his cyberdemon circlestrafing technique was complicated by crossfire.
  5. # Map12: Dime - Rear-end ransacked by a belated heavy weapon dude.
  6. # Map11: joe-ilya - Turned to mush by the dual spiderdemon encounter. (illegal comp settings)
  7. # Map11: 40oz - "Got tangled in a spider web."
  8. # Map07: Ancalagon - Double-teamed by a siege cow and some all-too-logical pinky placement. The purest of scalps.
  9. # Map07: Archi - Did all the legwork before succumbing to some textbook stair physics. Moo.
  10. # Map06: Suitepee - So overjoyed by his defeating an_mutt that he forgot to not fall into inescapable pits.
    Spoiler

11. # Map05: ZeroMaster101 - Lost a dance-off with a mancubus.
  12. # Map05: an_mutt - Lost his cool and got thirsty. Quenched by the sweet, sweet spider stream.
  13. # Map04: Veinen - Cooked from two-hundred feet away. The mancubus of Savage Abyss has been doing some hiking, of late.
  14. # Map04: scotty - "Got caught on the wall and bottled it." (illegal comp settings)
  15. # Map03: DaIcemann76 - Lost patience; collected ball-lightning.
  16. # Map03: 4shockblast - Caught between a rock and a bad mood. When will Alfonzo start picking good WADs?
  17. # Map02: Alfonzo - In Doom, low confidence ignites faster than jet fuel. Get good, scrub. (illegal WAD version)
  18. # Map02: Albertoni - The second bloke to botch a break for cover. That archvile is a few kills away from being ordained.
  19. # Map02: Akruzhael - Took one for the team - no, two! three! Flying skull gets the chocolates.
  20. # Map02: Eris Falling - Rolled up his trouser legs and got stupid.
  21. # Map02: cannonball - Fed himself to an invisible duo.
  22. # Map02: JudgeDeadd - The dampest of squibs.
  23. # Map02: Zulk-RS - Declined an offer to perform the mancubus habanera. (illegal comp settings)
  24. # Map01: Preliatus - This is your submission!
  25. # Map01: Breezeep - Oh boy, check out that jaw action. Where do lone demons rank on the list of most embarrassing deaths? (illegal comp settings)
  26. # Map01: Inkie - Souffléd by the pop-up RK hellknight.
  27. # Map01: Rathori - "Never dive head first into an oil drum," and other tangentially related proverbs.
  28. # Map01: dobu gabu maru - Found a way to get down the stairs
  29. # Map01: NoisyVelvet - Sucked ass, by his own admission. An honourable upload.
  30. # Map01: lil'devil - Rocked up to play in his deep-sea diving suit. Enjoy the view from the peanut gallery!

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthy competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given mapset, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome; it could change the way you play Doom!

In October 2016 the DWIronman League dies to Doomworld's 10 Sector - -complevel 9 (Boom (strict)) Khorus' Speedy Shit - -complevel 2 (Doom (strict)), which as the name implies is a set resulting from a spectacular spurt of speedmapping energy; an entire megawad crafted in a month. This might bear some bad fruit in Any Joe's hands, but Khorus is a famed level designer who in 2012 was awarded the title of Mapper of the Year. He has no time for easing the player into the challenge; you'll soon have a taste for the sorts of tightly knit and tricksy setups that characterize his levels. Good luck and don't die get stuck!
Spoiler

• One attempt per megawad/mapset. Good luck!
  • Demos (PrBoom+ and GLBoom), stream highlights and single-take video recordings are the only accepted proofs.
  • UV only continous; no pistol-starting.
  • No auto-loaded wads unless they are purely cosmetic.
  • No hard-coded cheats or features that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set).
  • If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatability options, you must not enable any flags that result in behaviour beyond what is possible in the intended source port. In most cases, this will mean that you can comfortably use "Doom/Boom(strict)" behaviour in ZDoom, for example. You must also display these settings on-screen before your run.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels will rank higher than his competitors.
  • You do not have to complete your run in a single sitting. Such runs are considered to be "hardcore" runs. For stream and video recording users, you need only load a savegame that has been shown to be set during the previous segment, and again displaying the same compatability options. For demo users, you may continue using the same recording using a save file linked in the thread alongside the demo, assuming the -complevel allows for this function (e.g. -cl 9). Otherwise, the run must be completed in a single sitting or in segments separated by forced pistol starts (mandatory death exits) and episodes.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point. This includes "scouting ahead" for map details "just to check on something."
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details. Your viewers may, however.
  • If you die for any reason, tough luck! Your little brother snuck into your room while you were paused and getting tea and walked your marine into an inescapable pit? Brilliant. You went to answer the doorbell but knocked over your mug of hot chocolate and a baron ripped your arm off? Walk it off, hot stuff! You're through.
  • If your operating system fails during the run with you having progressed beyond the most recent save point then it's a write-off, sorry!
  • In the event that the leaders are tied having died on the same map, the player to have arrived at the map of death in the fastest time will be deemed the winner.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)

The objective of this month's ironman challenge is simple: DotW must die.

I can tolerate a good run of fortune as well as the next bloke but the man's just brushed off the supposedly difficult Nilla Doom like it was a mite inconvenience. We must pool our collective energies into manifesting his timely demise. Nothing short of his pants being pulled down by a rogue zombieman will suffice.

Abysmal. I'll never live this one down. I thought that missile would fly over my head. Instead it carried at least 70 damage, bullshit.

With only Alfonzo on the board so far I'll be entering at the bottom, and that's where I'll be staying, unless Jimmy delivers! :^)

Spoiler

Everyone find this guy and beat him up

Alfonzo said:

The objective of this month's ironman challenge is simple: DotW must die.

I can tolerate a good run of fortune as well as the next bloke but the man's just brushed off the supposedly difficult Nilla Doom like it was a mite inconvenience. We must pool our collective energies into manifesting his timely demise. Nothing short of his pants being pulled down by a rogue zombieman will suffice.

You may have picked a bad wad if you're trying to kill DotW. Back when he was first getting me into Doom, in 2004-ish, he mentioned this wad as being one he was particularly fond of.

If you want to kill DotW and everyone else? CHILLAX! It's not even fair but who cares Alfonzo will get his enjoyment out of DotW dying.

I know the feeling, Alfonzo. It took me over 30 maps before I got my first DotW pelt, after putting myself through sheer playtesting torture in pursuit of this prize. When you die north of 50 times in your own map, then send it his way, drooling over the certainty of a pelt, imagine the horrible, sinking feeling when you see him master that map as if it were a kindergarten exercise. I've never scalped him in a Doom 2 map, though. That will be the next milestone.

Damned marvelous to watch him play, though, isn't it?

what a piece of shit wad, locked in on map 08 to linedef skip, lol.

At least I didn't die... this is why you wait for other people to do the ironman first so you can avoid stupid things like this. Linedef skip happened around yellow key area, so don't sr40\sr50 there I guess.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ggzm9onaq11o6j5/10sectorZM.lmp?dl=0

edit: different place than joe-ilya too, apparently there are several places this can happen.
edit2: just to correct myself, I had fun on the first 7 maps, I'm sure the wad isn't bad if you play it outside of an ironman challenge. As far as I can tell all 3 were linedef skips, and a quick look in doom builder it only looks like there were 3 (2 west and 1 south) that were possible to skip that would break the map, funny how we ran into all of them. Probably best played in zdoom or so to avoid them though.

I just replayed Map08 all the way through on -complevel 9 and didn't have the map break, so Works On My Machine™.

I'll be running this at 8PM GMT tomorrow. If time zones are too much for you, then just look at this in about 22 hours.

Okay, this is borderline disasterous. I could have tested the wad more in advance; didn't encounter this degree of brokenness in my past playthroughs.

Should DNFs get a second go, perhaps starting from the same map? Sucks having to wait a month before your run gets shut down by some backwater map that's held together by blu-tack. Is uploading the DNF demo and then continuing from pistol start an option, here?

In any case, here's a WAD that TGH just uploaded correcting yet another show-stopper on Map16. Thanks, TGH! You'll want to load this alongside the main wad file. Details are within the text file.

On that note, it looks as if the reason for all these MAP08 DNF demos is indeed, as assumed, linedef skipping. It assumes the player will never, ever skip any linedefs, which is a reasonable assumption if you assume players will only use ZDoom, but not if the player is running in Boom or any other engine compatible with it like PrBoom-plus. As a result, MAP08 is so fragile in those ports that skipping even one linedef will result in breakage.

This level hurts.

The good news? Eris has been avenged by me as I smacked down the skeleton that kicked his ass.

The better news? Map 8 didn't give me a perma stuck situation!

The bad news? The last room of map 8...well, I figured out why Eris was expecting this to be "That Map". 5-6 minutes of swearing later and calling this room bullshit (and it is with its horrid design), I eat one too many rockets to sustain life and shuffled off this mortal coil.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pd7ykh3a4a54xdm/

Played totally blind. Got trapped in a room on map13 because of a one time rising floor leaving without me. Mildly irritating to say the least! Demo here.

I suppose it's not too surprising to see janky map behaviour and linedef skip problems given the constraints the project was made under.

Okay, that's the 4th unique DNF.

rehelekretep said:

quick Alfonzo - its still the 30th, change the WAD!!!11

Mhm! Here's a one hour buffer post before I tear this bubblegum mapset down off the wall. It's an interesting set, and one that I thought was suitable for Ironman. I was wrong - at the very least on account of its being broken in so many places. If there are any objections, you can use this time to raise them. The 30th of September can crown the very first (hopefully only) one day ironman champion and then crawl off to die.

In the mean time, I'll find something robust. Apologies to those who took time out of their day to attempt a recording. cannonball's outing was at least worth the price of admission :)

Ahh, the classic cyberdemon rocket flies past you but nicks something adjacent to you, one of my favorites

DEAD: MAP08

It's actually the 30th where i am still, but after i looked in this thread and realized this set might be trashed, i decided to play it anyways as ironman practice.

Spoiler

Map07 started getting spooky with the first Cyberdemon, Map08 was spectacular in it's gimmicks; i must play more

prboom-plus.exe -file .\10sector.wad -record noisy.10sector.lmp

Khorus' Speedy Shit is now in the hotseat. Everyone gets a second go. koren takes out the Diet Iron Chocolates and I get a slap on the wrist for picking something terrible. Good luck!

DWIronman League Bastardized Edition September 30th 2016:

1. # Map13: koren - The bug that broke the camel's back. (DNF)
  2. # Map09: Ancalagon - Skipped classes during the weight loss program. Paid the price in barons.
  3. # Map08: joe-ilya - This just in: Map08 sucks. Trapped between a two-bit self-referencing bridge. (DNF)
  4. # Map08: Veinen - Map08 continues to build a name for itself some 16 years after inception. (DNF)
  5. # Map08: ZeroMaster010 - POS map swallowing up even more of the best in show. Eat a big one, Map08 (DNF)
  6. # Map08: Anima Zero - Ring around the rosie 2.0.
  7. # Map04: Alfonzo - Don't talk to me - I don't want to hear it.
  8. # Map03: Eris Falling - Got a short, back and sides from a lofty revenant. Those rocket hair removal techniques are really coming on strong!
  9. # Map03: cannonball - That's centimeter perfect, Dennis! Centimeter perfect!
  10. -
[11:33] <Rayziik> official ruling on 10sectors: FUBAR and unfit for ironman competition
[11:33] <Rayziik> :D

Khorus' Speedy Shit.. Mmm, never played this one, but the name sure sounds interesting. Expect a demo from me today or tomorrow.

By the way, can someone explain to a noob what is a DNF?

Since it's still the 30th where I'm at, here's my run on 10 sectors:

Died on MAP07. The monsters at the end of the previous map softened me up, then a revenant finished the job. (The one time I put together a decent run, and the mapset gets changed. FML)

Ah, KSST. I reckon you're likely going to get your wish with this one, Alfonzo, since I don't really know this one very well. I'm certain I've played at least some of it before, but I may or may not have actually finished it....as I recall I didn't actually like it that much, TBH--gonna have to trot out the ancestral trump card of the unwashed masses and say it seemed more than a mite "samey" to me after a while, I think--but maybe that'll change with a second look, so I'll try to find the time to die horribly and painfully before the month is out.

Also, 10 Sectors, really? You crazy, man.

an_mutt said:

I'll be running this at 8PM GMT tomorrow today. If time zones are too much for you, then just look at this in about 22 9 hours.