Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Doomworld Chefs and Foodies

I love to cook. I am the cook in my relationship. So I thought to myself...I bet Doomworld has got some chefs and foodies, too.

So Doomworld Cooks! What are some of your favorite things to prepare? Why do you enjoy cooking?

For the people who can't cook but love food...what are some of your favorite foods?

Me...I like cooking with chicken. Whether it's Italian, Mexican, American...if it's got chicken in it, I can make it delicious. My favorite chicken dish to make is Chicken Penne Alfredo. The chicken is prepared by marinating overnight in italian dressing and lemon juice. Then prior to grilling, I will add fresh cracked pepper, garlic powder, and a touch of crushed red pepper. The sauce is made from scratch.

As far as my favorite food...Hell, I'm a big boy, I have a lot. But tonight I'm taking my girlfriend out for sushi tonight, and I am looking quite forward to having a lot of octopus.

Will said burrito give me a lifelong dose of diarrhea?

I cook noodles a lot, and i don't mean microwave premade fucks, i cook that shit with passion, spaghetti and grinded meat never gets old.

My Mom got me a slow cooker last Christmas, and I have used that thing every week religiously. It's so damn fun to cook and it saves me a shitload of cash. I actually just put some BBQ'd beans in the cooker for eating in two hours.

Jambalaya is pretty good (use frozen shrimp), enchilada casserole (sriracha sauce added everywhere), asian stiry fry (it's hard to go wrong once you know the seasoning you like)

I'm no foodie but making your own shit is a legitimate lifelong hobby, it's worth putting a few stat points in.

TraceOfSpades said:

The chicken is prepared by marinating overnight in italian dressing and lemon juice.

Oh God, ugh, you lost me. Vinegar flavored chicken in Alfredo? American; I say! Italian dressing, while excellent on salad, makes a terrible marinade imo.

For one of my favorite chicken dishes, start off by either boiling chicken, or if you want to save 20 minutes and one pot to clean, buy the canned chicken breast. Bit of a funky "canned meat" smell to the canned stuff, much like canned tuna, but a good substitute when time is short or laziness abounds.

Take that chicken, bout 12 oz to a lb (16 oz), mix it in bowl with a tiny bit of mayo for moisture (can substitute olive oil), as much mustard as you want (mustard contains next to nothing; great source of flavor when dieting), a pinch of whatever type of salt you find the least unhealthy, as much pepper as you want, and I'll usually go with a large portion of oregano, say around 1-2 tablespoons. That's the base; from there you can add worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, and/or hot sauce. I find the new Texas Pete Sriracha sauce has a fantastic flavor, so I always add tons of that stuff (funny thing, given the other ingredients, it comes out tasting less hot than you'd think [but it comes out the other end 10x hotter than it tastes ;D ]). Some type of cheese should always be added as well. Microwave for 1 minute, I recommend waiting for the full mix til it's halfway through in the microwave; at that point it is nice and soft, easily stir-able. Stirring with fork causes boiled chicken to pull/shred with little-to-no effort, which basically gives you something the consistency of pulled pork, just instead of pork, it's chicken and instead of bbq, it's oregano et al. From the last pass in the microwave (not necessary with freshly boiled chicken, of course), you can do several more things with it. Add to mac n cheese for some deleicious, spicy mac n chicken; put some bread crumbs and a little extra cheese on top, pop into the oven, and it becomes a casserole. Add with more cheese on some bread for an awesome, quick sandwich. Eat as-is to lose weight (this whole idea came from when I used to cut weight for wrestling; indeed, aside from the cheese and tiny bit of mayo, this is a very healthy meal). There were one or two more things my brain is failing at recalling right now, but use your imagination and you'll figure them out; that's what I did. Of course if you're feeling really fancy, you can always cut up some onions and/or garlic and throw them in the mix.

For a nice, quick 5 minute meal, take that canned chicken, or some previously boiled chicken, unspiced, and add it to Campbell's Chunky Chicken Broccoli Cheese with Potato soup. Stir into shreds and you wind up with the most meaty, delicious version of that soup you'll ever get. The chicken in a can is actually a higher quality than Campbell's chicken, so not only will it get you more meaty-feeling chunks of chicken, with the vast amount that shreds up, every bite will have all sorts of shreds of chicken all throughout it and I just can't say how good it is. I'm drooling-- shit. Instead of eating a can and walking away hungry, you'll eat a can and fall into a well-felt food coma. "I'll be with you in a moment, honey, after I rest my eyes for a minute..." *falls asleep* coma. Hey, it's nice to be full for 5 minutes and 1 pot-to-clean of work ^^

Fonze's cooking tip of the day, btw: always clean dishes as soon as you can. Cleaning before eating is best; food needs time to cool anyway. If you can clean everything before you eat, you'll be much happier after you wake up from your food coma later on.

My favorite thing to cook, though, is deserts. Baking and I have a love-hate relationship that can only be rivaled by Jodi Arias and that guy she killed, OJ-style.

Gonna be baking some of my monster cookies here in a day or two ^^

Take your typical choc chip cookie recipe, the one on the back of Tollhouse brand choc chip bags will work nicely. (Always make sure when you bake to never skip the step or half-ass the step of softening butter, cream cheese, or anything else that needs to be softened. Also, don't use f*&#ing margarine instead of butter ever) Now, with a standard choc chip cookie recipe, mix together your softened butter, white sugar, brown sugar, and vanilla; add eggs. In separate bowl (also a good step that is bad to half-ass) mix together your dries: flour, baking soda, and salt. Add dries slowly to wets while you stir. From there, mix together in a separate bowl your special ingredients; I use a cup of miniature choc chips (chocolate is such a strong flavor that regular sized choc chips will over-power the flavor of other ingredients; mini choc chips mitigate this problem), a cup of white choc chips (mild flavor; best to use regular sized of these so they can he noticed over the regular chocolate), 2 cups+ of shredded coconut, and an unhealthy amount of the star-shaped, crunchy rainbow sprinkles (it's important to use these and only these types of sprinkles when baking, as every other sprinkle will lose its crunch and part of the point of these is for an extra texture to chew on, in addition to just the overall presentation of the cookies, adding interest). Mix these ingredients into your batter, much the same as you did the dries to the wets, stirring often to make sure everything is evenly distributed, then spoon out onto ungreased cookie sheets and bake. Note that it is often a good idea to cool cookies before baking them; it helps them retain their shape. I'll typically pop cookies into the freezer for 10-15 minutes immediately before baking. Use a cup of water when spooning out cookies to prevent them from sticking to your hands/spoon. Never use flour for this on cookies. Water is less damaging to them.

Maybe later on I'll post my cheesecake cookies recipe :)

I'm a very capable cook, ben doing it for a long time. Chili, chiken noodle soup, cicken and dumplings, potato soup, beef stew, roast, ribs of all kinds, steak, burritos and home made tacos, sausage biskits and gravy, well anything american breakfast I can cook to high caliber. I can deep fry anything, make my own home fries with seasoning, patato skins, fried cabbage, who can't cook spegetti?lasangia, I can make my own raviolie. Yada Yada. I still need to sit down and learn more asian dishes.

I can make some burrito sauce. I'm wondering if I'm going to do it now, or tomorrow. It's almost midnight. I can make pizza, some buns with berry jam and cookies. Usually I just make the burrito sauce, because it's easy, cheap and lasts almost a month.

I love cooking. Some of my favourite things to make are home made vegetarian nachos, deep fried chicken, homemade peanut butter/cinnamon/chocolate chip cookies, pizza with fresh made dough, prepping big salads, stir fries with various sauces and flavors, pasta with all sorts of assorted veggies and spices.. Quite a few things!

I've thought about making a section on Doomshack all about relatively easy to make delicious foods suitable for LAN parties and such, even though 99% of the time the solution is to just order pizza or Chinese or whatever.

I love cooking. Usually I prepare chicken dishes from all over, some Italian, some Mexican, and some Asian food. Of the recipes I have, the ones I'm most proud of are my blue collar street vendor-style pad thai, my jerk chicken, and my green chili that tastes almost identical to the stuff at Santiago's or Chubby's. I also make really good bread, but I rarely make or eat any.

More recently, I started learning really old recipes (like, 14th/15th century stuff). Some of the original recipe texts are hilarious when read today, like when they ask me to take a chicken and "smite them to gobbets".

Here, the secret to my mighty spaghetties:

Spoiler

FIRST, pick the right ingredients:

-2 packs of dry spaghetti, don't choose the cheapest or the most expensive, because it doesn't really matter.
-Water, unless you're in a really bad situation i doubt you'll have much trouble grinding for it, in my country sink water is fine.
-Oregano or whatever you english speakers call it, much better if it's self grown/harvested.
-Laurel, some leaves of it.
-Grinded Meat, in whatever format you prefer.
-Tomato Sausage.
-Wine.

-Literally cook like you'd normally do, start with the meat, pour that grinded meat in the frying pan with some oil, not necessarily hot oil, put enough water in a cooking pot for 2 packs of spaghetti and put that bitch in the fire, wait for it to boil and drop the spaghetties.
--YOU GOTTA TIME IT RIGHT, so the meat is done when the spaghetties are still waiting their time.

-Season spaghetti with salt and one or two Laurel leaves, season meat with salt, oregano and laurel.

-When the meat is properly cooked, grab one of those big spoon things used to serve soup, take some water from the spaghetties and drop it in the meat's frying pan, then add tomato sausage and a tiny, barely noticeable amount of wine, finish cooking spaghetties like you'd normally do.

If you followed these hardly understandable steps while adding your own common sense, congratulations, you just made normal-ass spaghetties and grinded meat that anybody can make, and if you were intelligent enough to read all of this before trying, you will now learn the ultimate secret of my recipe:

When you are cooking, you must do Hungarian Throat Singing and/or manly moaning as if you were in the manliest natural gym training to lift entire pine trunks with one hand and slay invading spanishmen with the other.

Now seriously: I'm getting good at making some soul-full french fries, not pre-made "drop in frying pan" type, instead taking the time to peel, wash and slice potatoes, i am 10% closer to being a 3rd world unemployed mcdonalds worker.

What yall need is a good recipe for Breastmilk Cookies, Because yall need some more delicious lactation in your lives. My personal favorite.

Being in a household of 8 (1 married in, 1 in relationship of sibling, 1 aunt), I cook a little so parentals don't have to as much, but if I get the say on things...

I love Soups and Sauces. I'm pretty decent with sauces, my issue is proportions, but hey, atleast it's good. I can do other stuff, but thems my favorite.

- Potato soup: Think of Clam chowder but with out the clams and more of the natural rustic taste of potato with a bit of bacon, onion, and garlic. I make this on the blue moon because.. Well, if I got my way all the time, it'd be every week I'd make it. Only using a can or 2 of Cream of "chicken/mushroom/whatever that store has" soup base, everything else is fresh/cooked by my own hands instead of being done for me.
- Chicken "Tortilla/Enchilada" Soup and Chili: Flavor is usually decent, issue is having enough of it to taste.
- Teriyaki sauce and Orange Sauce: Flavor comes great, my issue is getting the right effect of a glaze.
- Waffle/Pancakes: I prefer me some homemade stuff, thicker, browns more naturally, and tastes like home. I'M STILL A KID IN AN ADULTS BODY, I WANT MY FREAKING CHOCOLATE CHIPS IN THESE!
- Italian styled White Sauces/Tomato sauces: Haven't ventured as far, but my last run in with white sauce atleast went well for Chicken Alfredo.
- Cookies: They are edible and taste good, BUT WHY FLOUR CONTENT MUST YOU FAIL ME SO!? I DO LIKE YOU BUT I WANT MORE FLUFFY COOKIES AND NOT COOKIE BARS!! I HATE SOME OF THESE RECIPES, THYE LIE ON THE FLOUR AND BAKING SODA/POWDER USE! T_T

MrGlide said:

What yall need is a good recipe for Breastmilk Cookies, Because yall need some more delicious lactation in your lives. My personal favorite.

I've also heard breastmilk makes good creamer in coffee.

I enjoy cooking spaghetti, lasagna, tacos, taco salad, bean dip, chili, burgers, potato salad, macaroni salad and other experimental shit like flaming hot cheeto burgers.

I make a really good roasted turkey for the holidays, can grill just about anything and make an excellent roast pork with sage and potatoes.

This page is missing recipes; -1 I say.

Also, mithral_demon: those recipes are likely not lying on the flour/baking soda use; making cookies has a process and is more than just throwing stuff in a bowl and then mixing it all together. Each added step was added at some point by somebody who saw the need for that step to be added. If you skip certain, seemingly simple steps, you run the risk of destroying the batch, which is easier to do with certain types of cookies than others.

Fonze said:

This page is missing recipes; -1 I say.

Also, mithral_demon: those recipes are likely not lying on the flour/baking soda use; making cookies has a process and is more than just throwing stuff in a bowl and then mixing it all together. Each added step was added at some point by somebody who saw the need for that step to be added. If you skip certain, seemingly simple steps, you run the risk of destroying the batch, which is easier to do with certain types of cookies than others.

I might have made one small mistake then, but noneless I will learn better on cookies. This last batch turned out better, actual cookie instead of cookie bars. (well, atleeast I know I can make those with out issue)
The last times weren't destroyed, they were still edible and tasted great, just I probably mistook one of the ingredients for their measurements. Oh well.

Made some uhh... sin rolls... they got raspberry and cherry jams, dark chocolate and honey.

I know how to make pretty basic meals, stuff like pasta/spaghetti with sauce, meat loaf and salads.

I did also make some chicken steaks with chili & lime dressing the other day.

I mean my old town has this obscure food... they are quite nice, but a big pain to make.