Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sephiroth

doom is bad for u!!!

for the last few years i have seen a therapist. they guy who talks to strongly is aginst me playing doom or any other violent game. he is the first one i have met who said it was bad even if it is a little bit of play time. all the rest said it was a good stress reliever as long as it was not an addiction. he tells me it will make me more violent and tolorant to violence. the truth is i am very peacful and have only had to fight for self defence. i prefer to aviod such physical confrintations. anyway he kind of disturbs me in one other way too. he seems like the kind of man who ran into the mob. he tells me to mind my self and if i know of a crime( like a murder or robbery) that i should just keep my mouth shut. honestly i think that is FUBAR. I will do the right thing by reporting such crimes and thought i can see logic in his anti-gaming stance i still strongly believe a game is good for you, as long as it isnt an addiction.

Go see another therapist, either that or continue seeing him and continue to get more and more screwed up. It's your choice.

Yes, I agree with AndrewB; find another shrink. That person, by what you describe, cannot distinguish between reality and fiction correctly. Also, it appears his head is damaged in some way that he tends to encourage distrust in oneself: it seems like he wants to induce guilt in you. Quite unhealthy. That person should have his doctors license removed and should be treated.

Trust your gut instinct on this one.

That therapist does sound like a Grade A jerk. Doom only looks like a violent game when you're new to it; once you're used to the pixelated blood and guts, it is just a high-speed logic/intuition/hand-eye-coordination puzzle.

You can't be addicted to a game anyway; addiction requires both a psychological AND a physiological (i.e. involving your body chemistry) dependence. This isn't just splitting hairs; the point is that if you are genuinely addicted to something, then deciding you want to stop because you no longer like it (thus removing the psychological dependence) isn't enough, because the body still "needs" the substance/whatever.

Why not ask a real expert who has no financial interest in "treating" you whether you really need to be seeing a therapist? I bet you don't in fact.

I think Doom's good for you. Since taking up Doom, I have started a successful company and have been generally more calm and level-headed than I had been previously. That might be coincidence, of course.

He's probably some idiot that actually believes that Doom was to blame for what happened at Columbine or all the other similar cases.

I simply don't like therapists, counselors, and other professionals. These people make a conscious efort to ruin your life. Next time you see this guy, tell him to slag off, then never go back again.

"So I'm going to take a deep breath and say, "This is the sound of me firing you." ~ Marty, "Grosse Pointe Blank"

Man, you really like to critisize other's opinion with your own on these forums, eh? Well, all I can say is that you're going to out post me within a few weeks.

Livo said:

Personally, the QUALITY of the posts is what I care about, not the quantity.

Heh, but I'm not even getting at that =P

orion said:

Man, you really like to critisize other's opinion with your own on these forums, eh? Well, all I can say is that you're going to out post me within a few weeks.

... Wait, who are you talking to?

Doom causes desires to write stories and desires to do drawings :-P

I don't know about you guys but everyone I have ever met who plays doom tends to have a very laid back attitude (they all also have seen therapists :-P) I think you need to change your therapist, maybe find one who DOES ask about your erections :)

Submerge said:

No Fod, he doesn't have YOUR therapist :)

It just sprung to my mind after watching a programme here called, (and I am sure there will be world wide versions soon), I'm a celebrity, get me out of here!", but one guy was Uri Geller (the spoon bender) and he turned into a #1 pervert, asking people "Do you get an erection?" in his Israeli accent, it just cracked me up and I pictured Sephs guy asking :)

Hmmm...when you first said he was anti-doom I just thought "pfft...what a jerk", but then you said he told you not to report any crimes. This is just stupid. I remember specificaly in the agreement I signed before I started therapy that the dude was required by law to report any crimes I admitted to. If they have to do this, then he's gotta be going against the law somehow by telling you that.

the_Danarchist, are you sure? If I'm not mistaken confidentiality is one of the most important requirements for beneficial treatment.

The relationship between the psychiatrist and the patient gives rise to a legal and ethical right to confidentiality regarding information relayed during therapy. The right belongs to the patient and the duty to maintain that right belongs to the psychiatrist. The psychiatrist should inform the patient that he will protect that right to the extent legally and ethically required; however, there are certain non-discretionary circumstances under which the psychiatrist may be compelled to yield information that has been communicated in the course of the therapy.

If a patient is involved in a lawsuit as a plaintiff or defendant or in some cases as a victim of a sexual attack, there is a possibility that their psychiatric record could be accessed through subpoena and court order. Likewise, if it appears that the patient poses a serious threat of physical harm to himself or others (note, this only applies prospectively as past crimes are generally not reportable), portions of the treatment record may be released for appropriate purposes to protect third parties or the patient. Finally, information that places the psychiatrist in a mandated reporting role (i.e. child under 18 suffering from abuse or neglect) will, without discretion, be reported.

My psychiatrist is a nice guy. I've had no trouble with him at all. but he looks like a mix between Ross Perot and Larry King

Of course, when evidence is submitted by or subpoenaed from a psychologist or other "professional" witness, it will be scrutinized as closely as possible. And the professional will be skinned alive and grilled by the opposing counsel on the witness stand.

The problem with using head-shrinkers and other professionals is that they're a dime a dozen, and they'll say anything you want to if you pay them enough.