Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Blastfrog

Music should be MUS compatible

Note that I say "compatible", not "converted to", before you think I'm suggesting that again.

Vanilla doesn't support MIDI directly, it actually converts MIDI to MUS internally before playing it. There are limitations, such as up to 8 channels for instruments and the 9th being for percussion.

OPL2 playback also has limits on the number of simultaneous voices, IIRC. Fraggle knows more about it than I do.

EDIT: You know what? Fuck OPL2.

Voros said:

Isn't it already compatible? The music sounds fine in OPL2 ingame.

Not quite, there are a few songs where the sound cuts out. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but they are there.

Blastfrog said:

Not quite, there are a few songs where the sound cuts out. I can't remember which ones off the top of my head, but they are there.

It is nearly impossible to avoid note cut-offs. OPL2 only had 9 channels in normal mode. Given most instruments use two channels per note, that's around a max of 4 notes at a time + drum track.

Bobby Prince didn't even worry about this. We shouldn't either. His original MIDIs had the drum track on Channel 16, for crying out loud. By the time Doom came out, most of us had OPL3 by then, which has 18 channels.

As far as note cutoffs are concerned, I'm only worried about really bad cutoffs, not little ones here and there. As for OPL2, forget that I mentioned it, it was dumb of me to suggest that we make it compatible with it.

In regards to the 9 channel limit, I think it's okay to have more channels as long as there are no more than 8 active instrument channels at any given time; the converter will sort them out and rearrange them as necessary AFAIK.

Csonicgo said:

It is nearly impossible to avoid note cut-offs. OPL2 only had 9 channels in normal mode. Given most instruments use two channels per note, that's around a max of 4 notes at a time + drum track.

Your memory is faulty, the OPL2 had 18 oscillators which were normally paired, giving 9 channels for notes and drums.

^i actually like map29 music. Not sure if it's a duplicate. How about map26?

Voros said:

^i actually like map29 music. Not sure if it's a duplicate. How about map26?

The map29 track is a duplicate of map07, you can go ahead and replace it.