Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
raymoohawk

first game you bought

ITT tell the story of the first game you bought when you started earning your own income

the first game i bought with my own money was a used copy of knights of the old republic i found in a flea market for 20 pesos (like a buck and some change). even tho the game had been out for several years my potato of a computer could barely run it, but i still played trough it several times anyway. the game disk would eventually be forgotten at a friend's house along with a RID megatron toy and a tsukihime figurine

The first game i bought (on my parents' money) was Commandos: Strike Force, a badly-received and now totally forgotten game, but it's not that bad, imo. I was about 9 years old when i bought it. Here's the full story:
I told my parents "Buy me a new game, damn it!". They said: "No! You behave very badly and you get only bad marks at school! You don't deserve a video game!"
I said: "But i really want a new game! I promise i will study better, if you buy me it!" They said: "Ok, but you keep your promise.", and gave me some money.
I chose this game because the cover looked cool and because i didn't have enough money to buy cooler looking games.
I was quite satisfied with this game, but.. i obviously didn't keep my promise and began studying even worse than before.
And soon enough my father beat the shit out of me and he took away my computer as well. And i didn't have a computer for months after that. Tragic ending. :(

Honestly the first game I remember spending my own money on was Quake (big box days mind you ;)). Then I bought the Doom Collectors Edition in the big box. Man I'd kill to still have those..

Mine was a Nintendo DS game. I think.

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
*flashback of the good times*
*removes a single tear of joy*

Edit: no wait. It was New Super Mario Brothers
*flashback of frustration*
*closes eyes tightly, desperately trying to remove the memories*

First purchase I made all by myself was Bejeweled Twist on Steam. I had a phase of being addicted to mom games, and having fond childhood memories of the soundtrack in the game, I just had to have it. I bought it along with Chuzzle Deluxe, best 9.98€ I ever spent.

For a very, VERY long time, my dad and his friends would buy (or pirate) games and they'd just share them with me. So the first game I ever bought myself MAY have been Red Alert 2 in its nice big red box.

Star Control 2, though I never heard the great sound/music because soundcards were such a luxury until years later.

I don't remember the first game I bought, but I do remember the first time I played video games. I was about 3 years old in 1988, when my family bought a Nintendo. The first games we had were Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt, with the Zapper. We also had Contra, Burgertime, Ring King, and some obscure wrestling game.

I used birthday money to buy Doom 2 from a CompUSA

Tomb Raider Anniversary. I got it when I was 6 or 7 I think. Back in the day, it ran on our computer at around 5 FPS (with the lowest resolution and all fancy effects off).
Later I've lost the disc, so now I play with a pirated version without music.
And imagine my excitement when my new computer ran the damn thing PERFECTLY SMOOTHLY wow!
Also, at about the same age I bought one of those "9000 games on one CD" which had loads of DOS and Sega Genesis ROMs.

Blockland, back in 2008. It was basically Garry's Mod with Legos in the Torque Engine, so it had the same physics and terrain as Tribes 2. It even had jet boosting which had very similar handling to that of Tribes 2, so that when I played Tribes 2 years later I felt right at home. The community was pretty awful, though not MOBA awful, and the creator of the game abandoned it soon after it released on Steam a few years ago, and now draws mediocre depictions of scantily clad women on his website.

When I got Steam in 2011, the first games I bought were Garry's Mod, TF2, and Half-Life 2.

My own income from work, it might of been Alien vs Predator 2010 pre-order.

But I might be wrong. I do know I purchased various games from birthday money years before. Don't really remember my first though. It might of been a shared pre-order purchase of Doom 3 with my oldest brother.

Half-Life, My NES Cartridges were given to me by my friends & .... Father so none of them is the First game i bought .

scalliano said:

Solaris.

Best game on the Atari.

That's impressive for a 2600 game.

The first games I know I bought with my own money were Heretic II and Quake II from a rack of CDs in a store when I was 19. $10 each. There's a good chance I bought something before, but I don't recall doing it.