Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Faeren

How to block noise of doors/platforms?

Hey, I'm having a shot at making a map and have rigged two doors to open when the player collects some armor/health bonuses, but the noise of the doors opening is audible and I'd like to prevent it from being heard, I've tried setting a few linedefs between the door and the player to block noise but it's ineffective.

How can I go about blotting out the noise?

Edit: Damn I just noticed the "Ask a Misc question thread."

What port are you mapping for? If it's Vanilla then i'm afraid there's no way of silencing the doors other than placing them very far away from the trigger lines so that the player won't hear the sound because of the large distance.

Just to clarify: 'block sound' lines are only used to make the monsters not hear the player, they don't block the actual sound.

Faeren said:

but the noise of the doors opening is audible and I'd like to prevent it from being heard,

You can do this in two different ways.

If you want to eliminate the noise from all normal doors, simply place two empty sound lumps with the same name as the original sounds into your map, one for open and one for close.

If you want to eliminate the noise from specific doors, create SNDINFO and SNDSEQ lumps, specifying a new empty sound with a new name and place into your map with an appropriate sound sequence. You only need one sound since it is used for both, open and close.

[edit]
some links
http://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDINFO
http://zdoom.org/wiki/SNDSEQ

Join the door with a dummy sector (first select the dummy sector, then the door sector and join them).

v That however won't affect Zdoom, only less advanced source ports as vanilla doom or PRboom.

the dummy sector trick can work in zdoom as well as long as you have compact_sectorsounds specified in the map's MAPINFO block