Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lycaon

How do i make this railing work

How can I make this railing possible in GZDoom?

Spoiler

I'm using a 3d floor to make a balcony and i need the player and monsters to be able to go under the balcony but also be blocked by the railings on the sides of it when standing in the 3d platform. Same for the fence marked in yellow, i need the player to be blocked by it but also be able to go above it to use the elevator on the right. I thought about making a 3d floor for the railings and fences but that would make the blank spaces of the texture black. Thanks in advance!

I managed a ham fisted solution using lots of custom invisible bridges, it seems to work just fine but i'm guessing there must be a cleaner solution.

If you want to make a mid texture solid but passable above and below, use the 3D midtexture flag. I can't say how the editors name it, though.

In cases like this a screenshot won't get you much help. Post a map demonstrating the effect you want to have because that can actually be analyzed.

I'm having the exact same problem. I thought about using a 3d Midtexure action but I don't really know how it works.

3D midtextures block projectiles, though. If you wanted to allow projectiles to pass through the midtexture, then I don't think there's any ideal clean solution. I think you'd have to use DECORATE to define thin, tall and invisible decorative objects with ProjectilePassHeight set to a small positive value, and place a row of these objects along the midtexture. They'd block the player and monsters, but they wouldn't block bullets and projectiles. If the wall was non-orthogonal, the player wouldn't be able to smoothly slide along it, though. This could be helped if you made an invisible 25-unit high sector along the midtexture's edge, which would be too high for the player or monsters to step onto it (so that the player would slide along it), AND put the invisible blocking decorations on top of this invisible sector, to prevent the player and monsters to get over it by jumping or flying.

Lycaon said:

How can I make this railing possible in GZDoom?

I made the screenshot brighter so I can see something,

Spoiler

but frankly, I don't quite understand your description of what or how you want to do this.
Can you supply a screenshot of the map layout or best of all the map or a map of that section?

I think I understand.
He wants it to act like a normal impassable mid texture. But the catch is that the player should be able to pass over or under the mid texture. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Like I said earlier, I'm having the exact same problem in one of my maps and I found a less than perfect solution.

I made a 1 unit long sector where the railing should be and put a new 3D floor there of the same height as the railing and textured it with railing type textures. It looks and works okay. But I have no idea if this will cause unwanted side-effects.

EDIT: Forgot to mention this but it seems like using the invert shootability flag (I think that's what it's called) Seems to make it block only projectile attacks but not hitscan whereas normally, it blocked both. Going to conduct more tests to see if monsters can see me through this wall.

EDIT: Using the "Invert visibility rules" flag caused monsters to be able to see through it. If this doesn't create extra problems, I think I'll just leave it as it is.

Yet the important note that 3D middle textures inevitably never block hitscans but always block projectiles is not mentioned on that page.

scifista42 said:

Yet the important note that 3D middle textures inevitably never block hitscans but always block projectiles is not mentioned on that page.

The fact that this can be configured with another line flag is neither. This is definitely not inevitable. Yes, it is possible to set these lines to let projectiles pass through.

Graf Zahl said:

Yes, it is possible to set these lines to let projectiles pass through.

HOW EXACTLY!?

These threads (plus a lot of my own unsuccessful attempts) led me to believe that it's impossible:

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36562
http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35155
https://www.doomworld.com/vb/doom-editing/50662-making-a-fence-in-zdoom/

scifista42 said:

Graf Zahl said:

The fact that this can be configured with another line flag is neither. This is definitely not inevitable. Yes, it is possible to set these lines to let projectiles pass through.

Does the concept of a wiki need to be explained? If you think some information is missing, add it.

Zulk-RS said:

Okay... Then what was the point of having the 3D midtex option in the line action menu?

I have absolutely zero idea what you are talking about or what your problem is.

I was wondering about the use of this in UDMF.
In hindsight, my question was probably vague as hell. Should've made it a bit more clear and specific.

Zulk-RS said:

http://i.imgur.com/TvHAS23.png

I was wondering about the use of this in UDMF.
In hindsight, my question was probably vague as hell. Should've made it a bit more clear and specific.

That is not for defining 3D midtextures, but to attach them to moving sectors.

To define them, only check the "Walkable middle texture" and to make it shoot-through the item just below that.

OK, I stand corrected, now there is a way. The "Projectile shoot-through middle texture" flag didn't exist until the most recent years, though, and for example in Zandronum 2.1, it still doesn't work.

Thank you all for your time, sorry I couldn't answer before. I'm not using UDMF but Zdoom in Hexen Mode, so maybe that's why the walkable middle texture flag for action 121 is not working correctly. The problem is that it takes it as if the texture was on the ground and not on the balcony, so you have an invisible railing on the floor and an ethereal texture on the balcony.

Zulk-RS got what i meant, I'm not really good explaining this kind of spacial problems in english maybe. I tried your 1 unit sector solution but it gives a lot more complications as it requires me to create multiple new 3d floors and add visibility and shootability properties, whereas my custom bridge solution seems to be much cleaner.

scifista42 said:
I think you'd have to use DECORATE to define thin, tall and invisible decorative objects with ProjectilePassHeight set to a small positive value, and place a row of these objects along the midtexture.

Well i simply used regular Custom Invisible Bridges to create that effect and so far it seems to be the best solution. No shootability or visibility problems, lets me handle it very easily and the only down side is that it doesn't look so clean in the editor, but other than that, i think that's the best way to go. Again, not so clean, and maybe UDMF 3d midtextures are better but in my case they don't seem to work, as it doesn't block stuff from above the balcony but as if the midtexture was spawned in the regular floor.

BTW this is how it looks now

Spoiler

Spoiler