Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tracer

Would you play a 3rd person Doom on the Fox Engine?

I've been playing a lot of The Phantom Pain lately. While playing today, I thought to myself how cool I'd think it would be to face off against the hordes of Hell in a game with similar gameplay (minus the fulton recovery and motherbase systems).

Eh, no thanks. I like my DOOM as it is in 1st person.

Literally every 3rd person game that I played, I wished that it had a 1st person mode, as it makes navigation and combat so much easier. 3rd person view might be a little better for jumping/climbing puzzles and the such, but then again, IMO those fucking suck anyway in a 3D game.

AFAIK, the only one which had such a switchable 1st/3rd person mode was The Suffering.

Maes said:

AFAIK, the only one which had such a switchable 1st/3rd person mode was The Suffering.

And the 1st person mode there looked like an afterthought quickly hacked together.

Another example is Nocturne. It's interesting because the game is one of those survival horrors with pre-rendered backgrounds, but it uses very basic 3D geometry for real-time shadowcasting (the game came out in 1999, BTW), and it's that geometry that you see in the 1st person mode, which is presented as a night vision mode.

Add a crosshair to 3rd person mode and make the Chasecam work like that one from Doom legacy, And There you go, Speaking of Doom legacy chasecam, Can you make it work the same way on ZDoom engine ?

Maes said:

Literally every 3rd person game that I played, I wished that it had a 1st person mode, as it makes navigation and combat so much easier. 3rd person view might be a little better for jumping/climbing puzzles and the such, but then again, IMO those fucking suck anyway in a 3D game.

Mêlée games simply don't work well in first person either. Without peripheral vision, any weapon swings just dissapear off the side of the screen, or alternatively are artificially limited to right in front of you.

There's a first person mod for Dark Souls and it's unbelievably difficult. Doubly so when fighting a boss and all you have is its crotch filling your viewpoint.

Bauul said:

There's a first person mod for Dark Souls and it's unbelievably difficult. Doubly so when fighting a boss and all you have is its crotch filling your viewpoint.

Now, that's not a disadvantage if your opponent is male, is it? ;-)

FPS games often have this, if only as a hidden feature not meant to be complete or useful.

Eradicator was meant to be played both ways, and even had the 3rd person camera enabled by default, although it was a pretty typical FPS for its time.

True. I remember Jedi Knight had both, and by default was set up for first person if you had a gun out, and then switched to third person if you got out the lightsaber.

You could switch between 1st/3rd person views in the SOCOM series, using forward/back arrows, which you also used for sniper scopes and stuff. Both arguably worked equally well, though I always preferred 3rd person for that series, but there were occasions where 1st was required for things like night vision. It maybe kinda sucked how in 1st person you couldn't see your weapon but it didn't actually matter to the gameplay.

Bauul said:

I remember Jedi Knight had both, and by default was set up for first person if you had a gun out, and then switched to third person if you got out the lightsaber.

All the Jedi Knight games were like this, except only JK2 also allowed first person while using the lightsaber.

Piper Maru said:

You could poke an eye out so be careful.

I can get along with third person shooters and I'd like to play a Doom styled one (that isn't Doom 3's chase cam, *shudders*).

-

Also, interestingly enough, the PS2 third person shooter Ratchet: Gladiator (or "Deadlocked" for you yanks) had a surprisingly competent first person mode (competent enough that I was able to beat it start to end with it).

YukiHerz said:

I'd play a Peace Walker remake on Fox Engine, fuck konami.

I second the shit out of this.

I hate Peace Walker as it is.

To answer the question: Absolutely not.

Anyway, whatever happened to the Konami we all grew up and loved in the 80's and 90's?

I wonder if it's possible to make it where in third person, your character is left to the screen... Basically Saints Row 3 style.