Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gez

Raymoohawk's sprite edits

That cacodemon rework looks much better.

Only thing I dislike is the eye being green, same as the regular DOOM cacodemon, but that's a minor thing.

You're not talking about nightfang's sprites are you? The ones based on a 3D model?

Compared to raymoohawk's work, I actually don't like it. It just doesn't have that aesthetic for me.

Voros said:

You're not talking about nightfang's sprites are you? The ones based on a 3D model?

Compared to raymoohawk's work, I actually don't like it. It just doesn't have that aesthetic for me.

No, I'm talking about Raymoohawk's original sprite.

Why would you think I would like the old model sprite?

The way you wrote your post made it seem like that.

Like i said before, i like the blue colour more, as shown in raymoohawk's original sprite. Makes it more attractive and appealing.

Maybe if Raymoohawk recolored those parts of the new sprite blue I would like it better.

I'd still miss the three-pupil eye the current one uses, though.

Great changes. The Caco looks much more sinister and threatening, the Pestmeister less cartoony. Again, excellent work.
Idea: Maybe the then old Cacodemon can be made into a new replacement for the Pain Elemental?

because of the doom pallete blue really only works in small details or full bright objects. i actually had a very hard time making my new energy cells work on the software renderer because i made them blue. i gave it the regular eye for readabilities sake, but id like to experiment with a mantis shrimp style eye

@doomaniac

i already have a design for the pain elemental

i still need to change a few things. the lost sould is supposed to be summonned from the little flame ball between the horns, so i'll have to space them a bit more

Try to keep CWolf's lost soul design in mind when making the pain elemental. Perhaps make it a little more robotic, CWolf is considering adding a jet to the back of his lost soul replacement.

i dont really like his lost soul much. it has so much contrast that its difficult to tell what it is. not to mention i designed my pain elemental long before cwolf designed the lost soul. i do like the idea of a jet on the lost soul tho.

i'll try adding some cyborgy bits to my pain elemental and changing the flame to green to see how it looks, but i am not making any major changes to the design

Blastfrog said:

Try to keep CWolf's lost soul design in mind when making the pain elemental. Perhaps make it a little more robotic, CWolf is considering adding a jet to the back of his lost soul replacement.

Is that what that mesh of white, black, and green is for? I can't really say I like the idea of using it, unless the point is for the lost soul to be something utterly incomprehensible.

raymoohawk said:

i dont really like his lost soul much. it has so much contrast that its difficult to tell what it is. not to mention i designed my pain elemental long before cwolf designed the lost soul.

Arctangent said:

Is that what that mesh of white, black, and green is for? I can't really say I like the idea of using it, unless the point is for the lost soul to be something utterly incomprehensible.

Finally, I thought that I was the only one who didn't like it!

Blastfrog said:

Didn't CWolf pass on his Deadflare to you, as he can't work on it anymore?

Also, someone's opinion:
in regards to top monster: imo the left version is much better looking cuz it has an identity of its own. the new version is trying to much to look like the cacodemon instead of just being a nice unique monster.

in regards to bottom monster: arms on right look better... but the rest of monster looked better before imo. especially the shading on the sprite as a whole was better before imo. shading on new sprite is to bright giving the whole monster a slightly washed-out look.

in regards to top monster: imo the left version is much better looking cuz it has an identity of its own. the new version is trying to much to look like the cacodemon instead of just being a nice unique monster.

I agree that the left one looks more original, but I like some of the changes on the right such as the gray horns.

Also keep in mind that if we change the cacodemon then the title screen would need to be changed as well.

the changes to the pestmester are so it works better in the engine. things get darker the farther away you are, so using strong shadows would make the sprite fade to near black too quickly. look at the original doom monsters, they tend to have shadows on the mid tones, with very dark colors reserved for minor details. the shotgun zombie will have to be updated eventually for the same reson.

my reasons for changing the orb monster are similar. if i were to make the horns blue again, they would oftenlly fade to gray anyway, or show an ugly mix of gray and blue. as for looking like the original caco, everything is different aside from the eye being green. i added jaws cause the design felt incomplete to me, but they will open sideways like an insect

i always thought of the new title screen as temporary. preferably a new set of title screens should be created once all the other graphical assets and mapping is done

raymoohawk said:

if i were to make the horns blue again, they would oftenlly fade to gray anyway, or show an ugly mix of gray and blue

The DOOM palette has a good blue ramp, with some very dark blues, so what you said should not happen.

(that is not a push for blue horns, as I think your gray ones look fine)

The palette does lack dark reds though, so reds and pinks often fade to gray (and look ugly). That is something I would fix in the palette and colormap lumps (given the chance).

I'd like to see how this new caco will look like with the old eye. It makes it more unique.

i am not sure what i will do with the eye yet. it all depends on what i can make

@andrewj

i was aware of those blues, but for some reason i still had a hard time when using blue on my sprites. maybe cause i was using some light blues? anyways i'll keep the horns gray. i want to give them some nice reflections on the underside, like the pain elemental horns

raymoohawk, the new versions are quite nice! The new orb monster design somehow slightly reminded me of Heretic actually, maybe I unconsciously drew a parallel with the Iron Lich?

Just read through this whole thread from start to finish and I must say that I'm mightily impressed! To see designs go from good to great in steps has inspired me to try my hand at pixelart again for the first time in like 7-8 years.

Which brings me to the second thing I wanted to say. After seeing all these new awesomely consistent enemies the zombies, even though greatly improved in their revised versions... look kinda crummy and inconsistent. The big conical moonboots out of a megaman game, the anorexic look (compared to doom zombies) and that frankenstein walk. Anyone mind if I have a try at updating them again?

BoJustBo said:

Which brings me to the second thing I wanted to say. After seeing all these new awesomely consistent enemies the zombies, even though greatly improved in their revised versions... look kinda crummy and inconsistent. The big conical moonboots out of a megaman game, the anorexic look (compared to doom zombies) and that frankenstein walk. Anyone mind if I have a try at updating them again?

I think the normal zombie sprites look fine, the shotgun zombie sprites still look crummy however.

BoJustBo said:

Which brings me to the second thing I wanted to say... the zombies, even though greatly improved in their revised versions... look kinda crummy and inconsistent. The big conical moonboots out of a megaman game, the anorexic look (compared to doom zombies) and that frankenstein walk. Anyone mind if I have a try at updating them again?

they do need to be updated again, so feel free to do so :)

BoJustBo said:

I like the moonboots :( makes them more different in a refreshing way.
The anorexic look isn't that bad. They are supposed to be weak, aren't they?
Frankenstein walk really shows off how much of a zombie they are (especially when they aim the pistol at you)

Although the sprites could use some minor modifications, but the shotgun zombie needs it the most (the full black outfit can make them hard to see in dark lighting, and those eye :/ it's like it's sleepwalking.)

Spoiler

Everyone's supporting you raymoohawk!