Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doominator2

Duke Nukem Countdown?

Six said:

Until someone becomes a broken record. Then the discussion is more-or-less nullified.

Not to sound like an extra broken record, but I already called myself a broken record earlier in the thread. You can't zing the self-zinging. =P

Always bet on Duke folks. (or whatever makes you happy)

If you're already self aware then why keep repeating yourself?

Your last few posts have all been mostly missing or ignoring the bulk of what I'm discussing or asking, you just keep posting essentially "I'm not interested in what you're posting about, so stop posting". Nobody is forcing you to take part in a conversation you find boring. But it is indeed silly for all of us to be posting more or less two sides of the same issue for weeks, with no new info. But we're all looking to kill time I guess. :P

I look forward to playing and talking about this when it's out.

I'm merely saying that rather than raising the same arguments again when someone mentions something about the game that they disagree with (eg, the price), perhaps refrain from using the same go-to response? And if that's not possible, then maybe counter it with a better argument. $10 for a sandwich is still a bit outrageous.

Discuss the game all you like, but you don't need to white knight it every time someone voices their personal issue with it because that's all it is.

PsychoGoatee said:

But it is indeed silly for all of us to be posting more or less two sides of the same issue for weeks, with no new info.

Precisely.

The game is out on Tuesday, so we won't have to worry about the quality of this countdown topic for much longer. I look forward to rocking these levels, and seeing what the Duke has to say. :D

PsychoGoatee said:

The game is out on Tuesday, so we won't have to worry about the quality of this countdown topic for much longer. I look forward to rocking these levels, and seeing what the Duke has to say. :D

Same. The levels are all I care about.

I like the way the new renderer looks. This may be the first time I will play through Duke3d!

And that rewind feature is unbelievable! Has anyone seen something like that before?

I hope this "port" can run 3rd-party maps and the missing episodes.

PsychoGoatee said:

I bought one for myself, my brother, and I may buy somebody a third copy.

*raises hand*

VGA said:

And that rewind feature is unbelievable! Has anyone seen something like that before?

Yes, it was already in the original XBLA port. Furthermore, not that impressive. PRBoom+ already does something close to its effect (as a startup console command) as the "rewind" is just a fast demo buffer replayer.

VGA said:

I hope this "port" can run 3rd-party maps and the missing episodes.

3d content sure, after all it has Steam Workshop. About the missing episodes, not so sure...

Well, the old files seem to be mostly intact, with the exception of the removal of trademarks from ART files.

But the mouse aiming... oh god
It's probably the worst I've seen yet, in any game. Consolized doesn't even begin to describe it.

Doom64hunter said:

Well, the old files seem to be mostly intact, with the exception of the removal of trademarks from ART files.

But the mouse aiming... oh god
It's probably the worst I've seen yet, in any game. Consolized doesn't even begin to describe it.

The same thing with Megaton edition, it had the original files even Dosbox to play with them.... But when it came to loading custom maps from the workshop didn´t use those original files.

That bad is the new mouse aiming??? That´s a new feat messing with it even more.

Loving this game, the new levels are great! Really really excellent, these guys have still got it!!

VGA said:

*raises hand*

Well played (:D) I hope you get to play it sometime, you owe it to yourself to rock Duke 3D.

Wild Dog said:

That bad is the new mouse aiming??? That´s a new feat messing with it even more.

I'm not having trouble with it, I did do a bit of messing with it and testing though. I raised the sensitivity probably about 80% of the bar. Doesn't feel like there's much acceleration or anything, might be wrong on that, but tried turning around at different speeds, seemed to be stable.

I'm really enjoying the new episode, these levels are just incredibly well done, everything I'd look for in a map. And this kind of city map is my fav, honestly, I'm half way through and this new episode is so damn good. So fun! In general this is very groovy stuff all around I must say!

The new levels are some of the best in the series.

I want a potential Duke 5 to be like this but with 2016-2017 graphics. Hell, they can even bring Levelord and Allen Blum along

Holy shit the new levels are awesome. That Serious Sam easter egg was fantastic.

Steam reviews are cancer (as always): "Why it's not snowing in Russia?", "I hoped for more Amsterdam", "Where is the Vegas level?", "They changed some sounds, it sucks now". Looks like people will always find a reason to hate Gearbox.

Hmm, i think i'll wait for someone to port the new episode to Eduke32, if that's possible.
Although the idea of levels based on real-life locations are interesting.

I put the new DUKE3D.GRP in eduke32 and it seems to work fine. I loaded E5L1 from the new episode as a user map and it kinda works, most textures are black though. I think it needs just a little fix to make the new maps work with eDuke32.

Well i got the game, i was not planning to get it...
Like i was expecting i fell a Little disappointed about the Price of the game.
Here is why?

While the new levels are really nice, the new enemies as well. The new graphics are ok but eduke looks better and they also fucked up the sound. Mouse aiming looks like your are using a controller, doesn´t fell nice (Just a bit worst than megatón).
In the end is just a new Episode with Little tweaks to the Megaton Edition. If they had released it as an expansión for Megaton edition for a lower Price, it was going to be a MUST BUY. But at 20 buck???? Stay away from it.

They should have done like Square Enix with the Rise of the tomb raider, if you have already the standard versión with 9 bucks you can get all new content and improvements of the 20 years anniversary edition

Glaice said:

Why are the system requirements so much higher?

So much higher than what? The requirements seem to be pretty damn low all things considered.

Remember you cannot compare the requirements to the original game. Programming and API standards and portability with rendering/hardware platforms drastically bump up the internal requirements. Especially when adding new renderers to old engines and need to making old structures compatible, which you should know by now seeing as Doom source ports present the exact same restrictions.

I went ahead and grabbed this today along with Shadow Warrior 2. Tried both for just a few minutes each and I guess it's not bad. The price still sucks when I have about 28 different copies of this goddamn game already but I really wanted to have it. Didn't get too involved yet. Not enough to really pick out any difference between this and megaton beside the kick in the balls audio quality. Looking forward to both of these though

Its an objectively inferior product. It is just the only game in town because the superior Megaton pack was taken off the market so our friends at gearbox could charge a fuckton for a 20 year old game.

Once again, fuck you gearbox.

I also don't get the inconsistency with the pickup messages being in high-res but the statbar isn't like it was in Megaton.