Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Misty

Think about it(my first small Doom2 level)

Hello,everyone !

I made my first level for Doom2. It requires zdoom/gzdoom source port for the testing.Map is very simple and straight-foward,so I didn`t add skill settings or custom textures,but I replaced midi file.

More stuff:

• Some misaligned or unchanged textures.
  • Mirrors in zdoom doesn`t work right. If you know how to fix it,just tell me.
  • I`m still bad at placing things or put decorations in the right place,so don`t bash me so hard.
Screenshots: Download link:http://www.mediafire.com/file/413hpq916yqj39w/think_about_it%28almostfinal%29.wad

Every comment/review can help improve my not-so-good mapping skills,so feel free write here.

OK, judging from the screenshots I can easily tell that you need to work more on designing layouts.
Your map is just a WOLF3D clone, it's got room-door-room-corridor-room progression and no interactive height management.

joe-ilya said:

OK, judging from the screenshots I can easily tell that you need to work more on designing layouts.
Your map is just a WOLF3D clone, it's got room-door-room-corridor-room progression and no interactive height management.

Well,everyone starts somewhere before they start doing more complex things in Doom. I`ll see what I can I do with height and texture choices and I'll try expand some areas to keep gameplay more interesting. But look in the brighter side-it could be worse like one large square room with cyberdemons or instant death trap.
But anyway,thank you.

Map doesn't load for me. Did you build it right?

Used GZdoom and Prboom+.

IIRC, a normal map wad has a total of 11 entries/lumps in it. Your wad only has 7 (excluding D_RUNNIN). I'm not sure if that's normal for a Zdoon map though.

Voros said:

Used GZdoom and Prboom+.

IIRC, a normal map wad has a total of 11 entries/lumps in it. Your wad only has 7 (excluding D_RUNNIN). I'm not sure if that's normal for a Zdoon map though.

Are you using an outdated gzdoom? Like 1.something?

Does the map work for you? If it's so simple and straightforward, I wouldn't think that it would require the lastest version of GZDoom.

Voros said:

Used GZdoom and Prboom+.

I included everything what level needs-first player start,exit,some monsters,trap and other stuff. I tested everything with gzdoom and zdoom before I created this thread and it loads perfect for me. I used zdoom udmf format so I think it doesn`t load with boom based source ports. But yeah,I`m going to change level structure,put more work and see if something changes in my wad. It`s my first true attempt to create something playable and without help I would suck more than I should.
P.s I use gzdoom 2.1.1 and zdoom 2.8.1 and gzdoom builder.

Its a very meh map,the map feels like it doesn't have a genearal theme direction.One of the past comments sumed it up well, very Wolf3D like. I mean if its your first map then its not bad. But I'd suggest avoiding this very halway based design, hell the first thing you see after opening the 1st door is a slim hallway. I don't think there is much you can do to really turn this map around, maybe spacing out things better might help but at the point you fix it, it becomes a new map. I'd suggest just taking notes from some populare maps and starting a project from scrach.

TLDR; Meh map, take notes and start a new map.

Just because you're new doesn't mean you're not capable of cool things! Playing through some of the Cacoward winners are a great way to get inspired around what works well and what looks good.

It does take time and hard work when you're starting out though. My first map (which I only just released) took me over a year to complete. When we're newbies, stuff does take awhile to look good!

Mauzki said:

Its a very meh map,the map feels like it doesn't have a genearal theme direction.One of the past comments sumed it up well, very Wolf3D like. I mean if its your first map then its not bad. But I'd suggest avoiding this very halway based design, hell the first thing you see after opening the 1st door is a slim hallway. I don't think there is much you can do to really turn this map around, maybe spacing out things better might help but at the point you fix it, it becomes a new map. I'd suggest just taking notes from some populare maps and starting a project from scrach.

TLDR; Meh map, take notes and start a new map.

I`ll take more notes and I'll start something new from the beginning. Comments like this helps me see my weak spots and makes me more smart.

Bauul said:

Just because you're new doesn't mean you're not capable of cool things! Playing through some of the Cacoward winners are a great way to get inspired around what works well and what looks good.

It does take time and hard work when you're starting out though. My first map (which I only just released) took me over a year to complete. When we're newbies, stuff does take awhile to look good!

I played lot of wads,but I still have that huge creative block in my head. It`s only several months when I started do maps like this.More criticism-more chances to get more better than today.

P.s. Your wad is great and inspirational,I always wanted do things like this.

MysteriousHaruko said:

I`ll take more notes and I'll start something new from the beginning. Comments like this helps me see my weak spots and makes me more smart.

Glad to help.

MysteriousHaruko said:

I love European "accents" in posts.

You want too much... Just make a room (it hasnt to be a square) and place a player 1 spawn there and then take your time for this room. Find a nice Wall Texture and a fitting Floor and Ceiling Texture. Play with light,height,item,monster and decoration placement. and then you go to your next room and do the same thing. But it was your first Map so i dont wanna bash you :) I liked the Texture variation and the coustom music ... maybe place some more x4 Shells at the beginning and do something with that red hellhole you cant escape from ;) Also yeah maybe replace that mirror thing with a texture... its not realy necessary

DAZZER said:

You want too much... Just make a room (it hasnt to be a square) and place a player 1 spawn there and then take your time for this room. Find a nice Wall Texture and a fitting Floor and Ceiling Texture. Play with light,height,item,monster and decoration placement. and then you go to your next room and do the same thing. But it was your first Map so i dont wanna bash you :) I liked the Texture variation and the coustom music ... maybe place some more x4 Shells at the beginning and do something with that red hellhole you cant escape from ;) Also yeah maybe replace that mirror thing with a texture... its not realy necessary

I know that rooms need more work here,I`m going to change and decorate rooms more. You aren`t suppose to fall in hellhole,you must press switch to get blue keycard outside that red hole(rise floor to nearest floor with tagged switch). Now I see what I must to do here-more ammo,more variation with sectors and change mirror with texture.Thank you for taking time for my first level :')

everennui said:

Found this on Facebook. Recorded a playthrough. Not a bad first map at all. Pretty simple, but there's some good foundation in here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzpllSZrqlM&t=1s

Hopefully, my message is, "important enough to warrant bumping the thread."

Anyway... keep it up! Love seeing the stuff on Facelook.

I guess,sometimes terrible "hey look,I made my first doom map ever" thread can't lay buried as it should. I improved a lot from the last time. I'm stronger now.
Anyway,thanks for your kind words. This map will be always good pointer where I've started.