Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The_SloVinator

Help on uploading MIDI soundtracks on YT [SOLVED]

Record the output of a MIDI player through e.g. Audacity and import that in the video.

Most synthesizers let you output a WAV file directly (such as timidity). Or if you play it in something like Winamp or Foobar2k, those also have WAV file writers.

Will that website make them sound just like in the game? I want to put pwad midis on my iPod but all converters use shit instruments.

Maes said:

Record the output of a MIDI player through e.g. Audacity and import that in the video.

To be a little more verbose, configure an audio editing tool like Audacity to be capturing your audio-out (by default, most are going to be capturing mic-in). Then hit record, then fire up the midi in whatever app/game that plays it the way you like it. Try to avoid volume levels that create plateaus in the waveform...

It's inconvenient, since it's like the old days of sitting there while you copy a song off the radio with a cassette tape, but as Memfis mentions, one midi can sound totally different depending on the application interpreting it. So if you have a particular sound you are after for a particular midi, then I dunno a better method than just capturing the speaker output directly.

Maes said:

This is seriously going to be the cheapest way. Audacity is free and can record at a high quality.

I normally use Synthfont for recording midi. Synthfont allows you to playback and record midis with Soundfont files. IMO, this is cleaner than actually recording the midis, and has the advantage of being able to sound like whatever you want.

Don't bother with Synthfont 2, as you have to pay for it. Synthfont 1 is freeware.

You'll also need a soundfont. You most likely want something like this Roland Sound Canvas soundfont, but any .sf2 file will do. Feel free to experiment.

Stop the presses!

Coolsoft VirtualMIDISynth has a MIDI converter. It uses the soundfont(s) that you have set and it outputs to wav, mp3 and even FLAC. Get the latest release candidate of version 2.x

Its main functionality is as a replacement MIDI device, especially useful in newer Windows OSes. It works with everything from Doom 95, to Dosbox, Doom source ports etc.

http://coolsoft.altervista.org/en/virtualmidisynth

I recorder the MIDI through Audacity & exported the audio. Works like a charm!

Though I needed to download LAME mp3 encoder to export the audio.

Thanks to all of ya. You're very helpful.