Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bloodshedder

Site and/or forum bugs or things not working

I'm surprised no one has interpreted it as him registering just to eventually make his 9001st post for the sake of making that meme joke.

I'm 100% sure Ling knows about this, but oh well: Not being able to view the accounts whose names contain special characters such as # < > etc could maybe be fixed, mrcrispy and I were attempting to work out how earlier

Spoiler

[13:08] <DoomkidAtWork> hey mrcrispy
[13:08] <DoomkidAtWork> how did you fix it so that links to stuff like "#1dwango" and shit actually work
[13:08] <DoomkidAtWork> On doomworld, most profiles that contain special characters aren't viewable
[13:09] <DoomkidAtWork> for the same reason (I think)
[13:10] <mrcrispy> It was a php thing
[13:10] <DoomkidAtWork> ..lol
[13:10] <mrcrispy> urlencode()
[13:10] <DoomkidAtWork> https://www.doomworld.com/vb/memberlist.php
[13:11] <mrcrispy> urlencode($filename)
[13:11] <DoomkidAtWork> try to click on #1doomguy's profile
[13:11] <mrcrispy> Well i think it will work with like any text, just in this case it was the filename
[13:12] <DoomkidAtWork> So would it be worth suggesting this to Ling?
[13:12] <mrcrispy> Idk, he must already know about it i think
[13:12] <DoomkidAtWork> I would think so too
[13:12] <mrcrispy> Funny how that isn't working tho
[13:12] <DoomkidAtWork> Fuck it, I'll suggest it anyway
[13:14] <mrcrispy> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percent-encoding
[13:14] <mrcrispy> It's a pretty common thing
[13:14] <DoomkidAtWork> Yeah, it seems to work or not work from site to site
[13:14] <DoomkidAtWork> now I know why
[13:16] <mrcrispy> All our index.php's use it
[13:17] <mrcrispy> Like, the most annoying thing ever is when a filename has spaces
[13:18] <mrcrispy> But with urlencode, "file with spaces.txt" will be converted to "file%20with%20spaces.txt"
[13:18] <mrcrispy> spaces are converted to %20
[13:19] <DoomkidAtWork> so like
[13:19] <DoomkidAtWork> He has a thing for spaces
[13:19] <DoomkidAtWork> and for SOME characters
[13:19] <DoomkidAtWork> but not all
[13:19] <DoomkidAtWork> like $ works
[13:19] <DoomkidAtWork> but not #
[13:19] <DoomkidAtWork> < and > also dont work
[13:20] <DoomkidAtWork> but some characters do.. Any ideas on that? Does every character need to be encoded or something?
[13:20] <mrcrispy> Yea it's nice when every character is encoded
[13:20] <mrcrispy> And yea i think a certain few cannot be
[13:21] <mrcrispy> < and > are %3C and %3E
[13:21] <DoomkidAtWork> Is there a reference tble somewhere, which we can look at to see ech characters encoding/which ones cannot be encoded?
[13:22] <DoomkidAtWork> Im googling it but not finding anything easy to reference
[13:22] <mrcrispy> http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/dencoder/
[13:23] <mrcrispy> You can type stuff in there and convert it, uhh huhuh

-

Not sure if this will be of any help, but if encoding the remaining characters is too much of a pain in the ass, maybe make it so new profiles cannot use the offending characters? It's strange not being able to view various user profiles, seems like a more egregious bug than some of the minor stuff mentioned. Sorry if this is a re-hash, I know it's been brought up but I'm not sure if anyone attempted to offer solutions/suggestions or anything

Hi.

I was browsing the forums and I noticed something strange. As we know, our dear friend Sodaholic changed his user name to Blastfrog, but in the thread listing, the ones he started under his former name still appear to have been started by Sodaholic, and if one clicks this user name it redirects to the "user has not registered..." message.

Probably not a bug, but I thought it may be of interest to you.

Good day.

Hey, on my phone right now; I just got a pm from a buddy and when I try to open it, Chrome tells me:

The doomworld.com page isn’t working

doomworld.com didn’t send any data.
ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

I don't get this problem with any other PM; only the newest ones. Tested ones from before I got this phone (no way to be cached) and they work fine. Downloaded Firefox real quick to further test and it was much the same, with the only difference being that it treated old PM's as text instead of as links, heh. Still, that narrows down a few possibilities for it to be. I also logged out and back in again (mostly just so I don't forget how) and still the same result, but I didn't check to see if it was plugged in or if the power was o-- *ducks tomato*

It'll be another hour or so before I am home, but I'll test it on my laptop then and PM buddy to resend message if it still doesn't work. So no biggie on my end, but it is something strange worth noting.

Of course, these short tests I ran do not fully rule out the possibility for the problem being on my end somewhere, either with my (new) device or with the service provider, so grain of salt and all that.

Can anybody shed some light on this?

A bump I suppose, but when I went to check this last night on my comp it also didn't work. I've never seen something like this happen with these forums; a strange bug.

Fonze said:

A bump I suppose, but when I went to check this last night on my comp it also didn't work. I've never seen something like this happen with these forums; a strange bug.

There's a thread for reporting problems like this. Merging this into that thread.

I`m not from important part from the world,but I have problem-I can`t reach this page/forum and id games database without vpn service(even with vpn service help site gets down for me sometimes). I tried change DNS settings,checked antivirus,firewall settings,tested ping and tracert things. Maybe server is blocking me somehow(I`m still thinking if I broke some rules here in this forum)
Problem occured at friday morning,I tested everything which has access to internet(I used phone,web browsers-Opera,Mozilla firefox and avast safezone).
(please, delete this post,thank you)

So the main page of the forum says
"Doomworld news
Last post: Fonze 01:50"
But when I click Fonze I end up on Doomkid's profile.
Have I just uncovered a conspiracy of some sort? Creepy.

Even though darknation has been banned, it still says he's a Forum Staple...

Not sure how fixable this is without nerfing a feature that is kinda cool, but:

// Code tags in Doomworld can contain BBCode, which can be useful
 Melee:
   SARG EF 8 A_FaceTarget
   SARG G 8 A_SargAttack
   goto See
But what about code that looks like BBCode?
for (int i = 0; i < end; ++i)
{
    array[i] = ItalicStart;
}
This still kinda works, but purely by accident because there's no italic elsewhere in this post after this. Now suppose I do the same thing, but the message later actually use the same tag:
for (int b = 0; b < end; ++b)
{
    array = LetsBeBold;
}
As you can see [b]this causes a problem. A possible workaround would be to force it to ignore any tag that's not closed by the time the closing code tag is reached; but as I've never seen the entrails of vBulletin I don't know whether that would require a two minute tweak or a two year complete rewrite of the parser engine.

When you preview a post, you can always press the button to post it. If your post has an attachment, the attachment is lost when you preview the post, so you get a post without the attachment unless you add it back before posting the previewed post.

FYI I intend to change the forum software soon so these sorts of complaints aren't being looked at for now.

Hey y'all,
I've been having problems with PMs. Three separate times now I've received a PM that was not viewable by either myself or the sending party.

I just wanted to jump in here and say that I've been having the same issues as Fonze in regards to PMs lately (actually specifically with Fonze, for some reason). I just tried re-sending my reply for the third time and when I go and check my "sent items" folder to read the sent message, I get a "secure connection failed" page.

First I had the ability to deleted my posts, then I lost it but the option remains but triggers an error. Confused I went to the FAQ and found out I wasn't supposed to.

I might have deleted a post before I realised my mistake.

Linguica said:

Would it happen to be a big long PM with big long inline quotes or other bbcode by any chance?

Yes actually. I figured out that the consistent thing with the PM in question was the quoted text from Fonze (which was a rather lengthy reply). The other PMs I've sent to him have gone through just fine.

If you need specifics, let me know.