Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Can the emotion of hatred be justified?

Many emotions have an evolutionary purpose whose practicality is self-evident. But I haven't been able to find any use for hatred. At this point in my life I think I have forgotten how to experience it and I no longer have the capacity to express it. Anger, sure. Frustration, sure. But hatred? What possible use does it have? It gets us nowhere in life. I think it's one of the few emotions we can truly do without and I also believe it can be exorcised from the psyche under the right circumstances. Thoughts?

It doesn't matter if it can be justified. A majority of people experience hate and few can transcend it. Human nature is human nature.

I didn't think it was possible to transcend it. But it is. I think the combination of frustration and contempt is apt. A friend of mine described it as frustration and anger.

What if I said that GoatLord is a lazy waste of space that sponges off his parents whilst making little to no money in his 30's. Can't keep a job, relying on mommy and daddy. Always high and tripping balls by smoking magical elf crystals in an attempt to escape from his inability to succeed in life or have sex because he's essentially too damn afraid. Yet you pretend you are so above it all because you've blasted your mind into oblivion where you get off to caressing yourself on your sofa whilst babbling nonsense about edible wetware and bending computer screens.

If I said this and you got mad, would it be justified? Only for experimental purposes, of course. This is all hypothetical. Like it's so deep man, questions questions...

It doesn't anger me. A stranger who doesn't really know my life story makes his own story about me. And yet I see truth in it. What is there to get mad about?

I only know what you've specifically stated online, here on Doomworld in public threads. Which I'm assuming would be accurate, unless you were too high to remember.

GoatLord said:

At this point in my life I think I have forgotten how to experience it and I no longer have the capacity to express it.

Pretty much how I feel about love

Hatred is an emotional (irrational) shortcut when you want something eradicated from your life. You perceive something as a threat without questioning for reasons. Whether its existence is justified is hard to tell. I suppose it's OK when the hated object is indeed bad.

Hatred could possibly be the result of a broken emotional state. If someone doesn't have the capacity to mentally and emotionally tolerate the intense emotion the person's state breaks a little, forming Hatred. Somewhat like intense fear resulting into a panic state, where rational thought is gone.

If my random theory is remotely true, then I would say it can't be justified. However it can be understood.

The moments I feel hated is always very temporary and never justified.

WAT, what many of your are describing is anger not hatred lol. Anger is an emotional state, Hatred is an emotional connection towards a person/place/thing. Both anger and hatred are fully justifiable. Anger is mental motivator to enhibit us to deal with certain conflicts, It can manifest in different ways for different reasons. If someone is frustrated and angry with a situation, anger will motivate them to deal with the problem in a quicker manner, is this the best solution? no not always. Sometimes anger is the result of our fight or flight system coming into place, and can quickly turn into rage in this situation enabeling us to combat threats. Hatred is the mental conatation that something is purely negative and our brain telling us that thing we hate needs to go.

Hatred of the police is absurd. Everyone knows it's not an all-or-nothing thing, but we've got this mentality that hating an entire group of people based on their occupation is somehow beneficial. It's not like sitting there boiling with rage is going to get the bad apples to stop being shitty.

you can have cops that act like racist school bullies and you can have cops that act like Postman Pat but they'll both have plenty of chances over their career to "make a judgement call" which kills someone or destroys their reputation and tears apart their family, often based only on your circumstances or tone of voice, and they'll all do it eventually and they'll all get away with it too

any encounter with a policeman is a 10% chance of ruin. a police car is like boudicca's chariot. a police station is a suicide booth with "Lost and found" scribbled over the sign

TraceOfSpades said:

This is the point where the thread stops being about the original post.

It's ironic how a discussion about hatred has turned into a tiff between two people.

If there's no hatred then where's the motivation to make things you think are wrong to go away? Doomguy hates demons (in this scenario anyway) so he blasts them with the super shotty and BFG :S

Da Eediot said:

It's ironic how a discussion about hatred has turned into a tiff between two people.

Who exactly is having a tiff? And over what?

I was confused over this comment as well. @super cupcake tactics this is a good example, I was thinking about posting about a scenerio of how a caveman would hate sabertooth tigers but this works just as well.

What I find super interesting is people that seem to be lacking in any and all aggressive nature, this blows my mind as from personal experience the two people I'v met like this didn't seem to teach them selves this mentality but seemed to be a natural piece or their personalities. That blows my mind.

GoatLord said:

Who exactly is having a tiff? And over what?

A tiff is a petty argument. You and RUSH were having a tiff.

GoatLord said:

Many emotions have an evolutionary purpose whose practicality is self-evident. But I haven't been able to find any use for hatred.

A common behavior strategy of thinking beings is distinguishing between good and bad (via instincts, experience, reasoning, whatever), then actively seeking (or even creating) what is good, and actively avoiding (or even destroying) what is bad. Hatred is simply a motivator to treat those bad things appropriately for this strategy to work - that is, motivating the thinking being to actually avoid/destroy what it "evaluates" as bad.

Da Eediot said:

A tiff is a petty argument. You and RUSH were having a tiff.

The idiot strikes again. RUSH was giving an example which Goatlord was mature enough to understand.

On topic: it's often best to define things by their opposites. Hatred being the opposite of love, it is most useful for establishing a special relationship between the individual and the subject and is most often found when a threat is perceived to a loved one. Much as love can make one want to sacrifice their own life or well-being for somebody important to them (like your child), hate can make one sacrifice their life/well-being just to stop something from threatening their loved ones. Think of our inbred hatred of cockroaches and other disease-ridden pests.

An example from my life:

I hate my mother's new husband. I absolutely hate him.

Whenever I am around him, I try to push him to the point of hauling off and attacking me just so I could get away with fucking him up out of self defense.

I was constantly angry when I see him. I am not by any means calm or comfortable, and that makes people around me that I don't hate worried because they are concerned about what somebody my size is capable of if pushed far enough.

As a result of that knowledge, my hatred for the man has made me simply avoid being around him at all. This improves my mood and the moods of people around me. My hatred has actually helped keep the peace.

TraceOfSpades said:

As a result of that knowledge, my hatred for the man has made me simply avoid being around him at all. This improves my mood and the moods of people around me. My hatred has actually helped keep the peace.

Sounds like a pretty contrived rationalisation

Hatred is less of a useful emotion and more of useful tool.

Generally things that cause hatred are heavilly discouraged and punished by said hatred and the consequences that follow.