Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

DOOM - Free Update 4 Adds Arcade Mode, Classic SnapMap Modules

JohnnyTheWolf said:

Does the Arcade Mode get rid of the cutscenes or change anything to the levels themselves (e.g. enemy layout, item placement, etc.)?

So far, I've only tried Advanced Research Complex on Arcade Mode, and it skips the entire sequence with Samuel Hayden when you press the button to enter his office, and you'll just find yourself at the bottom of that service elevator. It's safe to say that it skips cutscenes entirely, but item placement and enemy layout stays the same (save for the powerups exclusive to Arcade Mode). However, while it does cut major cutscene sequences, it leaves the hologram scenes in. On another note, you now pick up items whether or not you're full on something (like health, armor, or ammo).

I'd just like to make a side comment that I literally jinxed the textured blocking volumes feature long ago. I'm so happy it actually made it in.

Reminds me of how long ago I commented on the ammo crates looking samey and voilĂ , distinctive ammo types.

this is all not meant to be serious of course, ahaha.

Download 11gigs to play the same exact levels you could play all this time except now there are gigantic numbers when you shoot things? Best update ever.

Here's still hope that we'll eventually end up with a map editor that, while never able to replace a proper modding tool, will at least offer enough customisation to create entire new tile sets, or even import custom assets and convert them into DOOM proprietaries.

Touchdown said:

Download 11gigs to play the same exact levels you could play all this time except now there are gigantic numbers when you shoot things? Best update ever.

The update includes multiplayer.

actually arcade mode has completely re-invigorated my interests in single player, played it this morning after the update had just rolled out and it was a blast, I'v not even checked out snapmap stuff yet, goddamn I love this game.

Oh my god that's amazing. I really want this game even more now. Luckily my laptop is in a good enough state to not be replaced yet, so I can focus on things I've been wanting a while now.

Sexy, thanks for sharing, see, told ya'll it was fun. have you been able to tell if we can stack medals yet? once I get a chance I'll try to see if there is anyway to do so, I'm also wondering what the difference between chainsaw kills and glory kills are in score. Another thing I need to figure out is each monsters base score.

Meh. I tried out the arcade mode a bit and I wasn't very impressed. It's not really any different than the normal SP except you can start with all the weapons and their upgrades plus runes. It doesn't add much replay value to be honest. Being able to create your own classic levels is cool though. As is the ability to finally connect your snapmaps together. I might actually finish the campaign I have been making.

hardcore_gamer said:

It doesn't add much replay value to be honest.

I take it you don't have any friends or rank high on the global leaderboards, then? It's a score attack mode; score attacking is the replay value.

This is one of the most amazing game additions I'v ever played, I love re-learning how to do things. Its crazy how the scoring in arcade mode changes what the dominant weapons are now, it's like they did a total reversal. It blows my mind how much I'm enjoying this. I LOVE YOU ID!!!!!

I must get the doom slayer rating on all levels on all difficulties. its actually really fast to burn through the campaign. The later levels are laughably easy though, the rich get rich mixed with plasma stun is insaine. Usually I don't play like this but it's the best way to stack up medals. it's funny how useless the bfg is now. still playing the shit out of it and learning, turn my settings all the way down and it crashes far far less now, I really need to upgrade my graphics card. This is my current mission.

Arcade mode is great. No other shooters are doing this. Give some damn respect.

NoisM said:

New multiplayer modes are great too!

How can I find a Posession mode match? The multiplayer menu allows me DM, TDM, FFA mix and Team Variety Mix only.

Touchdown said:

Numbers that big take up a lot of disk space.

ya except all those snap map objects, and the multiplayer maps and everything with all of that because of compatability.(edit) not to mention megatextureing with those big sheets has to take ups up some room as well for all for said objects.

hardcore_gamer said:

According to steam the game is taking up about 72GB of space. Yikes!

I'm glad I didn't buy a 256 GB SSD...

Edward850 said:

That means your archive checksum fucked up. It's ~11GB on Xbox just the same.

So if that's the case, how would I go about preventing that from happening in the future?

julz_d said:

So if that's the case, how would I go about preventing that from happening in the future?

Well seeing as it is a console, so there isn't that much outside making sure your keep it up to date and that you have it sitting on a reliable connection. I would suspect restarting the download would also help, but I'm not sure how you'd do that either.