Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

Sketch Doom [WIP]

Hello everyone.
As always I'm doing some weird things for GZDoom. And now I want to present you [the] Sketch Doom:

Idea of the Sketch Doom mod is really old. I saw such mods (and all of them still unreleased/frozen/dead) in 2007-2008.

You can see one problem in those screenshots - sprites. They are so "soapy" (edited via paint.net). I don't know what to do to get "good" quality of "sketch-like" style. I'm begging for help. Please, help me with making a "proper quality" sketch sprites.

BTW, what do you think about this idea at all?

This looks awesome :)

Always fun to see your next kooky creation, hehe. The sprites do seem like they'll be tough to do right, so I wish you the best of luck on getting them done! Looking forward to progress on this.

What you've done so far for the sprites looks good. Specially the pistol.

Sadly, I'm not sure you would be able to get it looking decent without some level of editing by hand after the filters. Cleaning the inside of the legs and the back, while keeping the main lines like the knee and the waist intact, for those sprites.

Edit: A fellow doomer told me that you should try to actually print out the sprites and draw over them, making a real-world sketch. Then you could just scan them back (or if you're going the real sketchy route, taking pictures of them).
Since you're using GZDoom, you can use bigger resolution sprites anyway.

^ That's who I meant in my edit, hah.

I don't really agree with making the blue lines more transparent, but if you could do like the RetroShader and add a configurable alpha for them that'd be awesome.
Also, maybe only horizontal lines for that extra school notebook feel.

Thanks everyone for comments! Glad you liked it.

What you've done so far for the sprites looks good. Specially the pistol.

Sadly, I'm not sure you would be able to get it looking decent without some level of editing by hand after the filters. Cleaning the inside of the legs and the back, while keeping the main lines like the knee and the waist intact, for those sprites.

I thought about it, but it's too complicated - I won't spent toooooo much time for this. If I'll do this by the hand this project will take years. I don't have much time, honestly, I really have only 1 year (not really, you know, real life things, etc) until the next summer and I must finish all my projects to this time.

Edit: A fellow doomer told me that you should try to actually print out the sprites and draw over them, making a real-world sketch. Then you could just scan them back (or if you're going the real sketchy route, taking pictures of them).
Since you're using GZDoom, you can use bigger resolution sprites anyway.

No way, I'm not the art creator and I don't have so much time for this (as I said earlier).

But thank you!

I've got some advices to use waifu2x and Inkscape to get proper results about sprites. I'll try them, but I'm not sure that it will really help with this.

UPDATE:
I've got some results. I hope you will like it.
Before:

After:

Well, it's not so fast process - I did it by the hand (editing, not creating from scratch). So I still need a help. I can do all sprites look like this, but I need a helper who can do the same instructions to make this work faster. If someone are interested in this, please, post reply about this here.

Irfanview has an "edge detection" effect that recolors an image in such a way that makes them look like a neon sign. Flat surfaces are black while areas of contrast are made brighter. You could try applying that effect to the sprites, inverting the colors and then grayscale it to make it black and white. I suspect it could look like a decent pencil sketch after that maybe?

40oz said:

Irfanview has an "edge detection" effect that recolors an image in such a way that makes them look like a neon sign. Flat surfaces are black while areas of contrast are made brighter. You could try applying that effect to the sprites, inverting the colors and then grayscale it to make it black and white. I suspect it could look like a decent pencil sketch after that maybe?

Tried it, thank you for idea. But Paint.net can do the same (and even make a better result) by clicking once "Make picture look like a pencil work".
No, it's looks like sh~t, sorry.
But I can say, that IfranView's Chaingunner really scared me:

I think instead of making the screen overlay thing a grid, you should make it notebook paper.

also, what is paint.net? Every time i try to find it I get some sort of website for painting supplies.

CrimCuttle said:

I think instead of making the screen overlay thing a grid, you should make it notebook paper.

I'll do a few versions of papers. Blank paper, grid-lined paper, horizontal-lined paper. And possibly 2 colors - white and yellow.

also, what is paint.net? Every time i try to find it I get some sort of website for painting supplies

http://www.getpaint.net/index.html

Thanks for the feedback! I'll make a grid as "addon". So people can choose to enable or disable grid.

Thanks to all, I'm happy to read you liked this!

9 hours ago, Lizardcommando said:

How much of the mod is done? I can't wait to try this out.

It's about 70-80% of completeness. I need to finish all monsters, make a full compatibility with TNT and Plutonia, and do something with GFX.