Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HavoX

Ladies and Gentlemen... The Nintendo Switch.

More gimmicks from Nintendo. The idea of the dock and the switch from playing on the TV to being a handheld is smart. But the thing with the modular little pads and the idea of multiplayer on that little screen ... LOL.

Well, it looks interesting, to say the least. I mean, a handheld and home console in one? Hell yeah.

Wild Dog said:

In a Few years Nintendo wiil reaming almost alone on the console Market, Sony most likely will pull out like they did with the Vaios, Microsoft next xbox most likely will be like a Steam Machine with a Watered Down Windows OS.... even somes games are already compatible with Xbox One and PC....

None of this will happen. The millions of people who can't be bothered with gaming PCs for one reason or another will keep the PlayStation and Xbox brands afloat.

Looks cool, I'll wait and see what games actually come out on it. It's tough because I'll either buy for PC or with Xbox to play on XBL. There are few sceneareos I see myself buying 3rd party games on a nintendo console. While their games are typically good, I'v yet to see anything to draw me to actually buy a wii u, so Ill be waiting for the same for this before I even think about puchasing. There doesn't seem to be any advantages to getting this yet, and I'm not buying a console for 2 games (for me it would be pikmin and smash). If they keep backwards compatability with virtual console it'll definetly keep be worth keeping my eye on though.

Wild Dog said:

Of course you won´t see the appeal of this machine, because you are not the target of it. It´s more for the casual market, that may want to play a game now and then and have fun with it.

Maybe you're right, but that's the problem, the casual market is fickle and they aren't the ones spending money after their initial purchase.
Look at the Wii, every moron under the sun bought one, but those aren't the ones buying the games. I personally know 2 people who own a Wii and literally never opened the box, they bought it because it was popular and the 'hip' thing at the time. Nintendo failed because they assumed that momentum would carry over to the Wii U, but Grandma Smith and the granola-eating hippy chick didn't even know the Wii u existed, and if they did, they bought one or two games tops.
If this thing is going to be any kind of success I'm the exact type of person they should be targeting.

Why would they Target you? me or almost anyone from this Forum. We are PC Gamer if they want to target us, that means they will need to compete with Intel, Nvidia, Amd..
The same people that supply them with their CPUs and GPUs, there is no way they could beat them when it comes to being innovative.
Which is why MS is trying so hard to merge Xbox with the PCs.
Console will never attract PC Gamer, because PC Gaming is way ahead of what a console can deliver for a rational Price and with a life span of 4 to 5 years.

The main issue with the Wii U, is that Nintendo did the same thing that Sony did with the PS Vita.... Even they forgot it exist. Guess they were too busy selling 3ds.
Also the grandma and the granola eating hippy chick, they may not buy a lot of games, but hell they buy a shit load of Amiibos, 3ds game among other novelty ítems.
There is a profit to it.

Well you wouldn't know this about me personally but I fall into the demographic of non-exclusivity when it comes to games; I own 9 consoles spanning nearly three decades with a combined library of over 300 titles for these platforms. But I'm not frivolous, I don't buy junk and I don't go in for flavor-of-the-week kinda crap. If Nintendo wants to win my dollar they're going to have to come up with more. Besides VR is right around the corner, and Sony is poised to once again lead the pack in the console VR market. Though it's something I'm approaching with serious skepticism, I don't think the technology powering the Switch is nearly good enough for a convincing VR system, whatever people come to expect from this early generation of it. Once again Nintendo is behind the curve.

Someone said that the Nintendo Switch is the spiritual successor to the NVidia Shield console. If the Nindendo Switch isn't either running Android or capable of running Android complete with rooting capability, then I would say otherwise.

Wild Dog said:

Of course you won´t see the appeal of this machine, because you are not the target of it. It´s more for the casual market, that may want to play a game now and then and have fun with it. That´s why their products are cheap and they keep brining their classic games or Sega Classic games.

Actually, Nintendo's market is pretty much "anybody who can pick up a controller". Not just 'casuals'. That's pretty much the reason why the Wii utterly killed the market, as the idea behind it was to make games that anybody could intuitively understand. The issue was that it only really worked for anything that could use the Wiimote, thus limiting what the platform could actually have. The Switch seems to be aiming towards a more universal platform, and thus more inviting to 3rd parties.

Use3D however is more interested in technology, not entertainment specifically, thus Nintendo hardware doesn't have anything for him. VR isn't going to last if it continues to be expensive and prohibitive as it is (anybody with even a slight eyesight problem basically can't use VR at all as is), but it is technically leading a pack, and thus where he's most focused in. Nintendo just want to make games on accessible hardware. So yes, Nintendo aren't targeting him, as he's quite clearly a different market altogether.

Avoozl said:

People haved played mutliplayer on handhelds for some time now so I don't see why not.

Who is used to playing multiplayer on handhelds? You mean like this? Holding tiny conyrollers and both players looking at a small tablet-sized screen a couple of meters away?

Use3D said:

...Besides VR is right around the corner, and Sony is poised to once again lead the pack in the console VR market. Though it's something I'm approaching with serious skepticism, I don't think the technology powering the Switch is nearly good enough for a convincing VR system, whatever people come to expect from this early generation of it. Once again Nintendo is behind the curve.

PS4 nor the PS4 Pro are really that capable when it comes to VR. Friend of mine got it, really is quite sad when you compare it to Vive or Rift. Sony is in a crash course with the PlayStation Brand. Which is sad to see, since i was a huge fan of them, owned PSX,PS2,PS3,PSP, but they are messing it up.

Nintendo is not behind the curve, they are not even in the same course map. If Nintendo knows something is that raw power is not enough, don´t forget the N64 and the Gamecube, both of them very powerful for their era, yet the N64 was second to the PSX and Gamecube was lagging behind the XBOX and way way behind the PSX2.

Edward850 said:

Actually, Nintendo's market is pretty much "anybody who can pick up a controller". Not just 'casuals'. That's pretty much the reason why the Wii utterly killed the market, as the idea behind it was to make games that anybody could intuitively understand. The issue was that it only really worked for anything that could use the Wiimote, thus limiting what the platform could actually have. The Switch seems to be aiming towards a more universal platform, and thus more inviting to 3rd parties.

"anybody who can pick up a controller". That Could be an excellent definition of Casual Market, Nintendo knows it and that´s great they want to make an fun system to play, that´s not expensive that everyone can play is there something wrong with it??

It would be a good idea for them to get more 3rd party support, but i guess after Capcom betrayal they are very careful with 3rd party devs.

Wild Dog said:

"anybody who can pick up a controller". That Could be an excellent definition of Casual Market, Nintendo knows it and that´s great they want to make an fun system to play, that´s not expensive that everyone can play is there something wrong with it??

It really isn't, but I'm honestly at a loss on how else to explain it. It's a subtlety of language. Consider it the difference (loosely) between Tetris and Candy Crush, I suppose.

I suspect we have two different meanings of casual, then, as by my understanding someone who play games hardcore cannot paradoxically be casual.

You will see, sometimes in life things are not 0 or 1. Someone can be a hardcore gamer, yet when he or she is in a party drinking having fun and he goes to play with a Wii with a game he/she never cared to play nor will play again in his life, he is doing it like a casual gamer.

The connected game pad thing seems great for local multiplayer since you'll always have two "controllers" with you but other than that it seems to be a little dry. Like does it even have motion controls or even a gyro for wii/wii u games? Is it even backwards compatible with those?

Considering it doesn't even have a disc drive, no.

In a lot of ways it's a high-end tablet (with actual buttons) that can be docked and played on a TV (rumored to add extra processing power, but I don't see how), and a way to consolidate Nintendo's handheld and console divisions, letting them provide better support for a single device. It's hard to say what exactly it's capable since they haven't provided any real information outside of the reveal video. We don't even know if that's a touchscreen on it or not. All that's available in terms of official announcements is that it runs on a custom Tegra processor, along with an NVIDIA GPU and a ton of custom libraries and fancy new API called NVN. They've also said that it'll have Unity and Unreal support out of the gate. The actual specs of the machine haven't been revealed yet, and probably won't be revealed until early next year.

Jaxxoon R said:

Considering it doesn't even have a disc drive, no.

oh, yeah, forgot about that ;=;

I love the way they done the trailer, now just imagine if this came back from the dead for the switch.

Bernie said:

If Nintendo fails with this console, their done.

Which one of their "done's"?

Bernie said:

If Nintendo fails with this console, their done.

they're

People have been saying this since what? Gamecube? They're well off financially, Nintendo isn't going anywhere.

The gimmick isn't so much as important to me as say for instance the layout and UI of the console, the terrible menu sounds of random kids shouting with echoing voices in the backround (just to remind you that it's a fun console), and does anyone remember the retarded move where Youtube worked for almost almost 2 years until Nintendo decided to break the website so you had to view it through a very user unfriendly app that has an awkward layout? I can't watch anything age restricted above 16 years because I still haven't found the energy to figure out how to get that age authentication process to work to log onto my Youtube profile.... there's a series of different steps you need to take involving a 12 character long pin code and you'll have to restart the process if you make a mistake... a girl I was trying to impress came over to my house and I couldn't show her any of the hilarious (tm) shitlord videos in my playlist history because I lost my watch history because their transition. Damn it Nintendo!

J.B.R said:

Couldn't think of a better name, eh Nintendo?
What a joke.

Terrible name because googling "switch" is going to give you a ton of other results. Heck even "Nintendo switch" is going to give you false positives because it can be about a switch on a different Nintendo console.

Here, Nintendo: "Swiitch". You're welcome. You can even style sWIItch for those who are really slow on the uptake.

I'd only get it if i can play 3ds games on it, or they release a port of a monster hunter game, or a new monster hunter game, but i want MHXX for teh west.

YukiHerz said:

I'd only get it if i can play 3ds games on it

It has been confirmed that the Switch is not backwards compatible with physical 3DS games. That doesn't rule out the possibility of digital versions of 3DS games, however.