Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaikoten

32in24-16: DOOT CTF

http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/animalcrossing/images/2/2f/Doot_doot.gif/revision/latest?cb=20150731180359

Welcome to the SPOOKIEST 32in24 to date, 32in24-16: DOOT CTF! The Yeoman Engineers and Designers of Software have stumbled into a scary graveyard!! But can they escape?? The answer to this exciting question and much much more will be decided today!!!!!!!!!!!!

============================================================

What is 32in24 for those who have never heard of it?

We make 32 Doom 2 maps in 24 hours. We get together, have a good time, and compile them. Most of the time there are more than 32 maps too. Any mapper can contribute and learn. Don't be shy. These are speed maps, and the process is designed to give you feedback and allow you to grow and progress in your skills.

This is the sixteenth numbered iteration in the series, and we've hosted other events as well. Anyone can feel free to join us on IRC at #32in24 in the OFTC.net server, where the mappers chat about their process.

If you are a mapper for this session and are interested in livestreaming your mapping process, some people from other communities have shown interest in seeing what it's like to make a Doom Map! Let us know if you'd like to host a live stream and we'll get the buzz up.

Like most of the recent 32in24s we're gonna have a mapping day, a week for testing and adjustment, and then another dedicated mapping day on the following Sunday. Unlike previous 32in24s we're going to be omitting the poorly playing maps above 32 this time around. So do your best and try to make the cut! We'll probably put the remainders in an overflow.

THE RU-RU-RU-RULES

- Mappers will have 24 hours to make a playable version of their map for compilation in the wad. Submit as many maps as you'd like, but they must be in a PLAYABLE STATE for the first run through. You will have a chance to revisit them after play testing in a second 24 hour period in exactly one week!
- The only resources you can use for textures and flats in the game are those present in doom2.wad and 32in24-15_tex.wad ( http://esselfortium.net/wasd/32in24-15_tex.zip [ALSO YEAH WE'RE REUSING IT CAUSE IT'S AWESOME AND HAS THE CTF TEXTURES]) You may feel free to provide your own music for maps in the form of a midi file included in your completed map post. THE MUSIC MUST BE SPOOKY.
- All completed maps should be posted in this thread with a URL, the map's name (feel free to be silly) and the music desired linked. Make sure all maps play on MAP01, and link the midi file separate from the wad, makes the compiler's life easier.
- Maps must work for all mainstream CTF sourceports: Odamex, ZDaemon, and Zana... Zando... Zandronum! If you're having a hard time with this, ask for help in the thread. The maps must all be in BOOM FORMAT.
- This is CTF. Most maps should be symmetric, or flipped so balanced on each side. If you make it a-symmetric, make sure the thing is balanced amazingly.
- Detail is good, but GAMEPLAY IS KING. CTF players want to move smoothly and easily... little bumps all over the floor for the sake of detail will just make it a worse experience. If you're going to use this technique, use height transfers. We also need the maps to run on average computers, so don't go too crazy with linedefs.
- Size; no need to make these maps massive, competitive CTF is played with relatively small teams. But on the other hand too tiny can make turnaround for caps too quick and gameplay frantic. Try sticking to a "medium" sized map. This can also help with performance.
- Map Rotation - We're going to try to showcase the most smoothly playing maps earlier in the wad, as graded by our testers, but also may mix things up by visual style, map size, etc, as well, just in the hopes of making it an interesting playing experience all throughout the rotation. Joke maps will probably be put at or near the end. If we get more than 32 maps and your map is above 32, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad. Hopefully our testing will ensure that all of the maps play great and you'll make changes in the second session that will bring it on par with the greats.
- Be a good guy and don't revise in the middle of the week if you can help it. Wait for the feedback to come in and the next session to start!
- Have fun!

CTF Standard Thing IDs:

5080: Blue Start
5081: Red Start
5130: Blue Flag
5131: Red Flag

These will work with all engines!

Voros said:

The spookiest DM WAD ever. Or going to be.

I would be pretty spooked if it was a DM wad because it's supposed to be CTF!

I'm going to be gone almost all of tomorrow (today?) so here's a quick (1 hr, 30 min) submission to kick things off.

It's probably too small, and there is probably too much health in the "stockroom", but let's see how it plays I suppose.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4fLhi4pUfilcnZ1cExGRktyNjA/view?usp=sharing

Call it "Spooky Stockroom" for now. I'll find a MIDI for it later.

EDIT: This has been replaced with a second version.

Okay I have a serious question...is it possible to make these kind of maps in Doom Builder 2? I am asking because I cannot find any of the flag spawns or ctf player spawns....and I also did the "Type" numbers as well and yes I am in Boom format

Also I tried google and it did not help.

Edit: I am such a moron.....I fixed it.....and it was so obvious....

GregLafitte said:

Okay I have a serious question...is it possible to make these kind of maps in Doom Builder 2? I am asking because I cannot find any of the flag spawns or ctf player spawns....and I also did the "Type" numbers as well and yes I am in Boom format

Also I tried google and it did not help.

Renumber thingtype (ie SSG is 82, player1 start is 1) as the types listed in the rules.

TheMionicDonut said:

Renumber thingtype (ie SSG is 82, player1 start is 1) as the types listed in the rules.

Thanks man, I understand now :)

Yes Hello, it is I: The obligatory before Donut goes to sleep map.
Time Zones allowed Donut to comfortably spend 5 hours on this map, with time included for party games.

Map: Cthulhu Fhtagn (What a wonderful phrase)
Time: 5.5 hours, on and off
Music: The Beetlejuice Theme Composed by Danny Elfman, arranged by a poltergeist from Web 1.0
Philosophical Quandary used for Inspiration: The Prisoners Dilemma (look it up)

Is there anything pertaining to linedef actions that I should be concerned about?

i.e. a lot of moving floors, control sectors etc. in combination with the possibility of people playing with high latency?

I'm asking regular online players if they know of any particular linedef actions that are especially problematic in online games. I haven't played in a while so my memory is fuzzy, but I think I recall occasional problems in online games where doors appeared to be open when they were shut, or floors that appeared to stopped when they were moving.

I was thinking of using some self-referencing sectors, crushers, light change brightness, and control sector trickery to increase the spookiness of my map but if that's going to be a problem then i should probably think of something else.

Name: Naval Skeletal Battle
Music: Grinder from C&C RedAlert 2 (may change the music for something more spooky if requested)

Download

hi

Name: Stompin' in jack-o-lantern's weather Here's to the fire that raises the dead (screw the previous title)

has lift triggers to troll people on walkways and crushers to make teleporting less of an option.

Music: Mysterious Happening from Sailor Moon: Another Story

How many starts are we supposed to have anyways? I never done one of these before.

Getsu Fune said:

How many starts are we supposed to have anyways? I never done one of these before.

Comp CTF is 3v3, I'd personally go like 4-6 spawns per team, but if someone more in tune to the current CTF scene thinks I'm full of shit feel free to correct me.

I'm presently suffering a severe case of looming existential dread brought on by impending university deadlines, so this is the worst time for a 32in24 for me.

Nonetheless I've sort of managed to churn out a layout. It probably sucks, but maybe someone can make it into something that doesn't.

The red base isn't there currently, nor are any things (minus the P1 start and blue flag). BFALL is used to denote areas that will conjoin when the map is made symmetrical.

Stones 'n' Bones

Merry Spookmas everyone <3

Excellent, I have all day today to crap out some dumb layouts :D

I'll try and do a couple bare layouts and post them, and if anyone wants to detail them (if there's time left), then feel free.

Oh my a ctf pack... (dm on top)

Well nobody is making ctf maps after chaoscore so might be nice to get some new material. I'm sure people in the odamex WDL and zandronum can help you test and maybe elevate some of the maps above public CTF tier.

Pub ctf maps are always nice though. Just don't make the maps too huge, gets real boring.

40oz said:

Crazy mapping stuff

Yes beware of high latency south american players. Conveyor belts can get crazy at high speeds. I don't think anybody will sadly take your map seriously if it has door action 1 and crushers (maybe a soulsphere crusher or something idk never see them in maps) Even door action superfast pisses off people to this day in zdctf03. Everyone plays with gamma 4 and opengl superbright so don't expect brightness to be viable for gameplay (except making gamma 1 users like me blind)

Shaikoten said:

Comp CTF is 3v3, I'd personally go like 4-6 spawns per team, but if someone more in tune to the current CTF scene thinks I'm full of shit feel free to correct me.

6 is pretty standard. If you make a big boring leviathan sized pub map, put more than 6.

I made a thing, is shamelessly basic:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3z6p0vk0mlt9zof/32in24-badctf.wad
Music: http://caseyscaverns.com/halo/midi/xfilestheme.mid (how original)

Title: Spooky Shit
Build Time: 1 hour and 15 minutes, more than less
Uses only doom 2 stock textures for now, i'll use the new texture pack on the detailing/fixing week, if this pass the quality control...

Feedback on this map is highly encouraged, i'll never did a CTF map before, expect this ages ago.

Speaking of Quality Control stuff. Will we keep all the maps through the first round? crummy maps may be made better through tweaking. I mean we can do a round of cuts for obvious sub par ones but what is the policy on this?

Aw sweet time to make some new ctf maps, it's been awhile....

Shaikoten said:

- Maps must work for all mainstream CTF sourceports: Odamex, ZDaemon, and Zana... Zando... Zandronum! If you're having a hard time with this, ask for help in the thread. The maps must all be in BOOM FORMAT.

Boom format, seriously? O wat the hell.

Ok, here's my first layout/submission:

http://mekworx.the-powerhouse.net/mekastuff/wads/32in24/32in24-16/meklay1.wad
Music: http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/snes/CV4-_Level_7.mid (info)

No name yet. It's a medium sized layout, pretty standard stuff. There's a lift gimmick I tried to implement as well as a dumb crusher+raising/lowering floor thing for a Plasma at the center of the map.

Definitely looking forward to feedback on it! I'll see if I can do one or two more layouts.

It turns out I will be busy for a while....I really feel my map has potential to make the cut if it gets tweaked a bit...would anybody be interested in tweaking it during the detail phase? I am sorry to ask this...

TheMionicDonut said:

Speaking of Quality Control stuff. Will we keep all the maps through the first round? crummy maps may be made better through tweaking. I mean we can do a round of cuts for obvious sub par ones but what is the policy on this?

Yeah, improvement will definitely be taken into account. Also, sadly, some maps get kinda ruined by detailing. It's possible that a good map may get worse, so that needs to be looked at too.

DON'T GOOF YOUR MAPS UP WITH TOO MUCH DETAIL GUYS.

Decay said:

Boom format, seriously? O wat the hell.

Full compatibility bruh.