Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arl

Rare unused monster in Doom 3 files.

As I've been looking at the Invulnerability Hunter I've been wondering if this really is totally unused, or if it has a shader effect applied to it to make his electric shell, or some other effect, when he is invulnerable. Note that the nose hole and "mouth" match up perfectly with his model as it is.

As somebody that is certainly no big fan of 3, and generally the series.

This is an interesting find. I think they didn't get it into the final as it wasn't as freightening as the demons made for the game.

ChekaAgent said:

It looks kinda like Shambler from Quake a bit.

That's actually what crossed my mind.

Now I suddenly hope someone makes a Quake TC for Doom 3 and makes use of that model...

I wonder what kind of noise this thing would make. I'd imagine some sort of deep, low-pitched groaning due to its sort of aquatic look it has. Maybe that'd make him seem more intimidating in the game?

Tetzlaff said:

Mostly from Star Trek: Elite Force II.

Oh, I see...

I'm a bit reluctant with the use of other videogames sound assets, I better stick with Doom 3 sound files for the moment.

Well, ST:EF2 is more than a decade old and Ritual Entertainment defunct since 2007, so probably no one would care. But I can understand that you want to keep it clean nontheless. Maybe some lower pitched Vulgar sounds would work?

Tetzlaff said:

Well, ST:EF2 is more than a decade old and Ritual Entertainment defunct since 2007, so probably no one would care. But I can understand that you want to keep it clean nontheless. Maybe some lower pitched Vulgar sounds would work?

Mmmm, probably, yes.

Editing existing sounds more appropriate, I'll see what I can do.

I've only skimmed through this thread. But I figured I should tell you that this model is actually (technically) used in the game. It's layered on top of one of the hell hunters in Resurrection of Evil. The tesla hell hunter aka the invulnerability hell hunter.

I used to tinker with this model myself when I worked on Doom3 Phobos. As I found it on the Hell hunter. I think it was supposed to be used as a sort of shield effect. But they seem to have removed that in the game. Since I could never actually see it be drawn in game. Instead seem like they went for a electric particle effect on the hunter's skin.

kristus said:

I've only skimmed through this thread. But I figured I should tell you that this model is actually (technically) used in the game. It's layered on top of one of the hell hunters in Resurrection of Evil. The tesla hell hunter aka the invulnerability hell hunter.

I used to tinker with this model myself when I worked on Doom3 Phobos. As I found it on the Hell hunter. I think it was supposed to be used as a sort of shield effect. But they seem to have removed that in the game. Since I could never actually see it be drawn in game. Instead seem like they went for a electric particle effect on the hunter's skin.

You are right, I found the model in the Invul's md5 file, and the corresponding .def file defines a shell state that points to materials used by the surrounding mesh.

Turns out that the model is also visible in game, barely perceivable and for very very short time, but it's there:

Here you can see that the electric shield has the same shape of that bulky mesh:

So yes, it's not actually an unused asset after all.

Tetzlaff said:

Nice find! Will you still realease it as a separate monster? I like the idea of an Behemoth type enemy.

Of course, this does not change anything, I'm doing nothing because I just don't know what to do with him really, time will tell I guess.

Hey, mystery solved! Still glad to see this as a separate monster too though. Nice work so far.

Tetzlaff said:

Well, ST:EF2 is more than a decade old and Ritual Entertainment defunct since 2007, so probably no one would care.

But those sounds may have come from a licensed sound library, so it still wouldn't be such a good idea to use them.

Quasar said:

As I've been looking at the Invulnerability Hunter I've been wondering if this really is totally unused, or if it has a shader effect applied to it to make his electric shell, or some other effect, when he is invulnerable. Note that the nose hole and "mouth" match up perfectly with his model as it is.

Just had to bump that up to note I said the same thing a few months ago, though with less certainty ;) Interesting to see it confirmed though. I guess this means the invuln hunter was originally designed for Doom 3 itself rather than the RoE expansion pack?

Quasar said:

Just had to bump that up to note I said the same thing a few months ago, though with less certainty ;) Interesting to see it confirmed though. I guess this means the invuln hunter was originally designed for Doom 3 itself rather than the RoE expansion pack?

Hey, oddly, I didn't notice your post about it, you were indeed in the right direction.

About the Invul hunter originally being made for Doom 3, most of the attached images in the Pixologic's interview with Kenneth Scott are from Resurrection of Evil. I don't think the copyright text at the bottom (that says 2002) refers to the year of production of those models, and in The Making of Doom 3 there's no images or written reference to the existence of any of those monster concepts. The only monster already seen in images before Doom 3 launch that later appeared in the expansion pack is the Vulgar, which was originally an arch-vile's scrapped model.

Anyways, nothing is sure, only official sources could answer things concerning the production of the game and the expansion pack, and that's quite unlikely.

Arl said:

Of course, this does not change anything, I'm doing nothing because I just don't know what to do with him really, time will tell I guess.

I would give him 900 health points, a two swing attack and a slam attack (like the Mancubus').

Avoozl said:

But those sounds may have come from a licensed sound library, so it still wouldn't be such a good idea to use them.

You are right in principle. But custom Doom wads use copyrighted music very often and nobody seems to care. Why should Doom 3 modding be treated differently?

Someone released a custom monster based on that cut model for Doom 3 BFG edition: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/news/brutal-doom-3-bfg-new-demons-and-helmets

Behemoth-like cut content, well your in for a treat. This Demon will cause a massive electrical explosion and summon electric pillars. Watch out for that special attack in which he does both attacks at the same time. Get too close he will pound you Twice. Cut model and textures from Ressurection of Evil.

@Arl: Would be really cool if you could release your take on the monster for original Doom 3.

PS: sorry for reactivating this old thread, but I think it makes more sense to post it here instead of creating an all new thread.

9 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Someone released a custom monster based on that cut model for Doom 3 BFG edition: https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-iii/news/brutal-doom-3-bfg-new-demons-and-helmets

@Arl: Would be really cool if you could release your take on the monster for original Doom 3.

PS: sorry for reactivating this old thread, but I think it makes more sense to post it here instead of creating an all new thread.

That someone is me my guy.For now it’s only coming for BFG Edition but I will release a resource pack for it.Expect to find it on the Lost Mission in hell