• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

DOOM - Free Update 4 Adds Arcade Mode, Classic SnapMap Modules

igg said:

I'm glad I didn't buy a 256 GB SSD...

That is what I have :(

I have another hard drive also though, which I install most of my stuff into unless it's something with long load times like Doom.

hardcore_gamer said:

According to steam the game is taking up about 72GB of space. Yikes!

Sadly My Doom'16 file on pc is over 80gbs right now. Its ok because I'm so fond of this game but if it were any other game I would uninstall.

Edward850 said:

Well seeing as it is a console, so there isn't that much outside making sure your keep it up to date and that you have it sitting on a reliable connection. I would suspect restarting the download would also help, but I'm not sure how you'd do that either.

I have my Xbox set to download updates on its own. Sometimes one will mess up though and I'll have to pause it then restart or even sometimes hard restart the console. Also I'm keeping DOOM an external 2 TB hard drive because the Xbox one hard drive is a joke. Anyway this updates that there is 0% with no connectivity so yeah I did have to restart it.

massivefanofdoom said:

Very excited for arcade mode. But first I have to find a way to revert back to NM :/

OK got to try it at last

It is fun right now!!! Don't know how long it will increase my interest for, but atm it is so much fun hahahaha

Hell ya. I'm doing pretty good at it right now, still boping around testing stuff out. Got the slayer rating on hmp for lazerause labs and scored over 8mil, landed me 51 but Ihighly doubt that will last long, or least I hope not lol. I shall get all the slayer medals.

I've been playing it today for a few hours and it is pretty fun. Got the Slayer Rank in the first six levels on UNM. It's a nice way to replay the maps too, because you only have the weapons that you're supposed to have.

Also, I can't believe how much easier the game is with the execution highlight on. I've never used it before and it's super convenient.

Touchdown said:

It's a nice way to replay the maps too, because you only have the weapons that you're supposed to have.

Also, I can't believe how much easier the game is with the execution highlight on. I've never used it before and it's super convenient.

not exactly, on the levels in which you can get a weapon, you start with it. So on level 2 you start with plasma and hr, also you get all the runes from the get go, and with how insane the plasma rifle is in this mode combine with the rich get richer, I find it very breezy to finish these levels. I don't think id was designing this as a stay alive kind of challange but just with high scores in mind, as there's been some nice stuff to get through some of the harder bits of the maps added. the exicution highlight is cool and everything, but I see it makes alot of people seem to only think you can glory kill an enemy when it is flashing.

Linguica said:

I notice that the top score on several maps is Zero-Master. FIGURES

I've been playing around with the last 3 levels only, was a lot of fun. I improved them a bit further today, but there is so much room for improvement still that I don't expect to keep top 1 for those levels for very long.

Still so much I don't know, haven't bothered to actually test how much you get from medals (as having more of them gives you more score per medal I believe). There's probably some simple formula, too lazy to note down the values I get :)

Being more familiar with where the monsters spawn would also be very useful to know. Also what monsters you have to kill to get the second wave sometimes, yeah, plenty to improve if I would want to get a score that would actually stand for a while.

ZeroMaster010 said:

there is so much room for improvement still

What are some pro strats? I've gotten right around 14 million several times on Argent D'Nur and I'm not sure what I could do to add several million on top of that.

I think you get double score while using a powerup, so if you are using either haste or quad damage (there's 2 quads on the last level) then you want to kill as much as possible with them, which is why I try to time my BFG so that they will clear everything just as it runs out. If I managed to identify more quickly when a new wave is coming and how many monsters are left I would know when, but for now I kind of just kill maybe 40% of the monsters before just spamming 3 or 4 BFGs with the first quad on the last level, and 3 BFGs with the last quad.

So you don't want to just grab the quad straight away for 2 reason, there's few monsters at the start and the higher tier monsters are always at the end, but you don't want to delay too long either, which is something that I could improve a lot myself.

Which runes to use isn't to complicated, infinite ammo rune for the later levels is usually a good pick, if there is a berserk powerup than being able to do glory kill from further away and faster movement speed is good (so those are the runes I use for the last level). I haven't really tested much beyond that, infinite ammo might not even be needed in some levels.

Weapon usage is mostly gauss+plasma+BFG, plasma for the stun which is used to get medals if there are no powerups, gauss because it's easy to get headshot and multi kill medals. Rocket launcher with the lock-on can also give you a medal, I use that sometimes if my infinite ammo rune isn't active and I run out of plasma. Sometimes I don't hit the head or kill an enemy that isn't stunned, so lots of score wasted.

Obviously keep the 32x bonus for as long as possible, best to charge it up using the chainsaw (at least for the last 3 levels) on lower tier enemies like imps. Just today I started using stun first in order to chain more medals together which helped a lot, but still something I could do much better.

So, kill as much as possible with powerups, use plasma for stun and try to get headshot+multi kills (should be 5 medals for killing 2 enemies).

Another thing I have no idea about is how much score each monster give, even though I see these numbers pop up all the time, combine that with knowing how many monsters are in each area it would be a lot easier to find an optimal route.

Oddly when I use bfg I get crap points, so I use it to jump start my combo meter straight to 32, I'll try to hit a lone imp with it and it will go from 0-32 most of the time. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong or If i'm not watching close enough. My current strat(I'v been playing on easy though) is rich get richer, plasma stun, burst shotgun, get multikill headshots with the burst shot gun while they're stunned and you'll get an assload of medals. I'm still trying to figure out if plasma or mobile turret builds up my combo faster when need be. Zero next time I play I'll record it and try to see if I can pick out the numbers for each monster, and how the combo meter effects them and different weapons. I love this game and community. Bad ass scores Zero, congrats man.

Yes, I can't tell if it is because of more monsters or if the higher skills themselves make the monster base points higher, or both. I'll reply to your other thread when I get a chance.

MrGlide said:

Yes, I can't tell if it is because of more monsters or if the higher skills themselves make the monster base points higher, or both. I'll reply to your other thread when I get a chance.

That's good, I will keep playing NM then. I haven't played in a while and I died tons of times in Titan already, I'm like wow I'm a scrub again lol. It's like everything else in life - if you stop practising and then come back after a while, it's gonna be tough again.

I was curious about how the medal bonus was calculated, I got 500 for 1 medal and 1414 for 2 medals, and so I figured immidiately the formula is:

500*AmountOfMedals*sqrt(AmountOfMedals), and for 35 medals I got a medal score of 103531 which matched. For the score it is always multiplied by 10 giving me over a million points for 35 medals.

So if you get for example 100 medals then that would give you 10 times as much per medal if you only got 1 because sqrt(100)=10 while sqrt(1)=1

power-ups give 2.2x the score it seems, I was wondering if it in some cases would be better to ignore the powerup and instead focus on getting as many medals as possible (you don't really get many medals if you BFG everything). Well, I guess I need to actually count monsters and which type to determine if it's better or not to focus on medals or killing as much as possible with the power-up.

There also seems to be several glithces, for the last level I sometimes don't get the armored mancubus at first area, I assume it's not random but I could be wrong. Sometimes I get a score of 150 from imps, even though I get 300 when I have 1x multiplier, the strange thing is I got 150 when I have a 32x multiplier. This can happen to every monster as far as I've noticed, having a 32x multiplier and using the berserk suddenly gives me a score of around 3000 when it should be 32x*2.2 times higher is just strange.

there also seems to be point bonus for glory killing. Do you think the points we get off of monsters are based on how much damage we do to them? ie if we gib them we'll get more points? (edit) I sadly havent been able to watch the score change at all so I'v not noticed any of this, I relly need to quite being lazy, record and re-watch to test around further.

This is a joke, 32x multiplier and berserk and I get 5500 or whatever each from 2 mancubi when I should get 352000, makes no sense. Also I have to set my runes every time but my weapon modes are saved, another strange glitch.

I haven't noticed any different score from glory kills, or for different damage done.

Usually it seems like an enemy is needed to be killed to trigger some wave, I wonder if that enemy dies to infighting or something dumb it prevents them monsters from teleporting in, would explain why I don't always see the armored mancubus.

Edit: Funny, these 2 issues are connected, the monsters that sometimes are missing are actually always the monsters that have lower score, so I guess this just cancels the issue since they give almost no score anyways. You'll miss out on some medals, but it's not as bad as I thought.

ZeroMaster010 said:

This is a joke, 32x multiplier and berserk and I get 5500 or whatever each from 2 mancubi when I should get 352000, makes no sense. Also I have to set my runes every time but my weapon modes are saved, another strange glitch.

I haven't noticed any different score from glory kills, or for different damage done.

Usually it seems like an enemy is needed to be killed to trigger some wave, I wonder if that enemy dies to infighting or something dumb it prevents them monsters from teleporting in, would explain why I don't always see the armored mancubus.

yeah my ammo boost is back to tier 1 O_O

ZeroMaster010 said:

The ammo boost has always been tier 1, because random BFG ammo drop is a bit ridiculous.

oh stupid me, so that is set by the devs. You cant upgrade it? Hmm I guess maybe other people get much more bfg ammo drops than I do, i dont get drops often to make it broken. But then isn't saving throw also ridiculous in arcade mode where you have lives and would otherwise have to start over?

Welp, I just got a score over 20mil on the last level, and that was after a terrible starting area (lost at least 1mil on monsters not teleporting I think). I ignored 3 relics because "I'm just testing things", but then I got 89 medals in the second to last area which I still completely messed up (I had no armor and was low on ammo, miss timed the berserk completely).

Almost 3mil down to 2nd place, and everything I did was shit, except maybe the final area which went as good as it can go.

So, turns out getting those medals is pretty good. 89 medals gave me a score of 4.2mil.

Saving throw isn't really needed, it's just for a singel level, it's not too hard to stay alive. It's harder to keep armor above 75 for the infinite ammo rune.

monster values at 32x, not 100% sure so let me know if any of them are wrong, and spectre and armored manc makes as far as I noticed no difference.
Possesed = 3200
Imp = 9600
Hell Razer = 12800
Summoner = 80000
Revenant = 96000
Demon = 96000
Hell Knight = 112000
Cacodemon = 128000
Mancubus = 160000
Baron = 320000

ZeroMaster010 said:

Welp, I just got a score over 20mil on the last level, and that was after a terrible starting area (lost at least 1mil on monsters not teleporting I think). I ignored 3 relics because "I'm just testing things", but then I got 89 medals in the second to last area which I still completely messed up (I had no armor and was low on ammo, miss timed the berserk completely).

Almost 3mil down to 2nd place, and everything I did was shit, except maybe the final area which went as good as it can go.

So, turns out getting those medals is pretty good. 89 medals gave me a score of 4.2mil.

Saving throw isn't really needed, it's just for a singel level, it's not too hard to stay alive. It's harder to keep armor above 75 for the infinite ammo rune.

monster values at 32x, not 100% sure so let me know if any of them are wrong, and spectre and armored manc makes as far as I noticed to difference.
Possesed = 3200
Imp = 9600
Hell Razer = 12800
Summoner = 80000
Revenant = 96000
Demon = 96000
Hell Knight = 112000
Cacodemon = 128000
Mancubus = 160000
Baron = 320000

not everyone is as good at the game as you :P :P :P

no but rly, so ammo boost in arcade mode cannot be upgraded or did i read you the wrong way? So id set it like that and its not a glitch?

It's more about having a plan than being good imo, once you know what to do it should be easy to get the slayer rank for example.

Yes, the ammo boost not being upgraded should be intentional.

Edit: Ok I've taken top 1 for the last 5 maps, think I've had enough for now. Try to get as many medals as possible and use power ups to kill higher tier monsters is the most important part. Medals is easiest gotten by using the plasma stun, then combine that with either gauss rifle, rocket launcher lock on or shotgun burst fire. Sometimes you can use the machine gun to do headshots.

Another thing that could easily improve the score on at least titan's realm and lazarus is to try to keep the medals between certain areas, I did a poor job on that and didn't really use the power-ups there correctly either. Lost at least 2mil at the final fight in lazarus, so yeah, lots and lots of room for improvement.

If only I could set my weapon modes and runes for all levels, that would make this mode so much better.

ZeroMaster010 said:

It's more about having a plan than being good imo, once you know what to do it should be easy to get the slayer rank for example.

Yes, the ammo boost not being upgraded should be intentional.

thanks for the answer zero, I also love your humility. Although you are right, with a plan in place it really helps!

ZeroMaster010 said:

If only I could set my weapon modes and runes for all levels, that would make this mode so much better.

when I exit to pretty much anything they all reset, but If I go from level to level without alt tabing or or anything not pressing next level.

I agree that it's utterly ridiculous that the game doesn't save your weapon mod / rune preferences between play sessions. How could they possibly not have noticed?

I thought I tested if the shotgun could headshot or not with the burst fire, I must have missed or something, because you can get 3 medals this way. Plasma with stun + combatshotgun with burst fire aimed at the head will give you 3 medals. You can keep your medals chain going by doing damage, so machine gun or pistol can be quite useful since it does low damage.

With 10*500*n*sqrt(n) where n is the amount of medals you would for example get 226679 points for killing a single imp with stun+shotgun if you are at 100 medals. Getting such high medal counts shouldn't be impossible, but is definitely difficult. Powerup gives 2.2x bonus on kills, they have their best use if there are several higher tier monsters, hard to tell at which point you would generally want to pick it up. It might not be worth grabbing until mancubi or barons appear, but I can't be bothered to investigate it any further.

If I recall correctly there are 150+ monsters on the last level, some of them outside the main area so let's say there are 35 monsters in each of the 4 arena's, that could give you a score of over 21 million from medals alone, which is just above my current best score. Safe to say that there is a lot of room for improvement ;)

The multiplier is also charged by doing damage, so for example on titans realm you can damage the initial cacodemons to get 32x before killing them.

Staying alive and being able to constantly stun and kill everything with combat shotgun is also difficult, more effective grenade rune + siphon grenade is definitely the best idea to maintain armor for infinite ammo rune. I expect pretty much every current top time to be easily beatable with the above strategy, though getting an actual good score should be very difficult.

Anyways, that's my advice, definitely a fun mod where it should always be possible to push the highscores further. I wouldn't expect anyone to do a near perfect score anytime soon.

ZeroMaster010 said:

I thought I tested if the shotgun could headshot or not with the burst fire, I must have missed or something, because you can get 3 medals this way. Plasma with stun + combatshotgun with burst fire aimed at the head will give you 3 medals. You can keep your medals chain going by doing damage, so machine gun or pistol can be quite useful since it does low damage.

Thats what I was saying, and actually if you get multiple kills ie groups of zombies you can get multikill medals on top of that. it's how I'm doing so well score wise while playing at such a low difficulty level.

(edit) also if for some reason I need to berid of a group of imps but don't have time to shotgun them all down, you can use the burst from the rocket launcher to get all of these medals minus headshot.