Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
VGA

Boom resource pack limitations?

For a Boom-compatible (specifically prboom+ and above) resource pack that I am making, I would like some info about the limitations for flats and textures.

1) Flats absolutely have to be 64x64, correct?

2) Textures need to have a width that is any power or 2 and height <= 128? Their height doesn't have to be a power of 2, right?

Flats have to be 64x64. Textures with non-power-of-two widths don't properly tile horizontally, and textures with non-power-of-two heights don't properly tile vertically, but in both cases, if the mapper uses them in a map in such a way that they don't tile, it should be OK (I think it's better to make all texture dimensions be powers of two, though). PrBoom+ and above ports support textures higher than 128 units.

scifista42 said:

and textures with non-power-of-two heights don't properly tile vertically

They don't tile vertically in vanilla, but in Boom they do.

They tile in Boom, but not in some other ports, even supposedly Boom-compatible ones. For example Zandronum. Not sure about non-ZDoom Boom-compatible ports.

scifista42 said:

They tile in Boom, but not in some other ports, even supposedly Boom-compatible ones. For example Zandronum.

Really? I would have though every active source port would get this right by now.

ZDoom was late but eventually added a proper implementation for this, too. I guess Doom Legacy may be an exception, but does anyone really still care about it when its Boom compliance has always been weak?

If Zandronum hasn't gotten it yet, it will soon.

scifista42 said:

They tile in Boom, but not in some other ports, even supposedly Boom-compatible ones. For example Zandronum. Not sure about non-ZDoom Boom-compatible ports.

They don't in ZDaemon.

Also don't tile in EDGE and 3DGE. Sorry, Graf. (Also, the "soon" from your post is doubtful, at least speaking of latest stable release of Zandronum.)

VGA said:

1) Flats absolutely have to be 64x64, correct?

2) Textures need to have a width that is any power or 2 and height <= 128? Their height doesn't have to be a power of 2, right?

1-Yes.
2-From what I can tell, a Boom texture pack can contain textures of any power-of-2/non-power-of-2 height and width(best to stick with power-of-2 values, for proper compatibility). But for it to work in vanilla, the height must be 128, 256, 384, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks. What about transparent textures? I hear they don't tile, so it's unnecessary for them to have an exact height of 128.

Voros said:

But for it to work in vanilla, the height must be 128, 256, 384, etc. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The vanilla drawer was hardcoded to wrap at 128. So any texture less tall would glitch.

For Boom the max. texture height depends on whether all ports support tall patches. If not, the limit should be 256.

Translucent textures won't display correctly on one-sided walls (there's nothing to display behind them after all) and Boom, like vanilla Doom, doesn't tile vertically midtextures on two-sided lines, regardless of transparency. So yes in Boom there are no situations where a transparent texture would tile vertically.

I think Voros was asking whether there are any height limits to transparent textures that are used as midtextures in vanilla. Like, if they can be higher than 128 units and display properly as such, or not. (I don't know the answer. It'd be easy to find out by a simple test - that Voros could do himself - I just don't feel like doing such a test myself right now :P.)

scifista42 said:

I think Voros was asking whether there are any height limits to transparent textures that are used as midtextures in vanilla. Like, if they can be higher than 128 units and display properly as such, or not. (I don't know the answer. It'd be easy to find out by a simple test - that Voros could do himself - I just don't feel like doing such a test myself right now :P.)

From what I remember, any textures taller than 128 cause a segmentation violation in R_GenerateComposite, in BOOM and MBF. A *patch* can be taller, but not the texture itself.

bzzrak said:

^ why the hell would anyone use a >128 patch if you can't put it in a texture?

You can have a big patch and make several textures out of part of it, I think?

The whole shit with the patches is just retarded in Doom. Just have everything as a singular entity, it is just used for some switches on walls variations ... who cares? Very annoying. I should be able to drop textures within some marker lumps in the wad and they should be available, like flats.

VGA said:

You can have a big patch and make several textures out of part of it, I think?

Nice idea, but this bug (occuring in PrBoom-plus too) makes it impossible.

bzzrak said:

^ why the hell would anyone use a >128 patch if you can't put it in a texture?

Heretic has a really weird setup for its skies where the texture is 256x128 but the patch is 256x200 and in the game it does draw the patch beyond the limits of the texture.

VGA said:

I should be able to drop textures within some marker lumps in the wad and they should be available, like flats.

That's possible but not in Boom.