Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bludshot

updated dooms and heretics?

There's so many ports and mods, and I am completely out of the loop, haven't looked at any doom stuff in many years.
Now I want to co-op doom, doom2, heretic and hexen, with a fancy port and with updated graphics mods, maybe even a few 3d models in there - but faithful to the original games.

What do I need?
I'm hoping to just use a few completed projects, I'm not looking to collect up a ton of individual things...

So far I figured maybe Zandronum or GZDoom?

Zandronum gives you options for easy multiplayer with several gamemodes including co op, and a GL rendered for extra fancy, though 3D models looks like arse in doom.

Zdaemon is "more oldschool", but still good.

If you want both to play online multiplayer and to use ZDoom-only-compatible gameplay mods, your ideal choice is Zandronum. GZDoom has (working but) inefficient multiplayer support and ZDaemon doesn't support modern-ZDoom-based mods at all.

If you want coop with 3D models, Zandronum is probably your best bet. ZDaemon doesn't have an OpenGL renderer capable of supporting models at all.

That said I personally find all Doom models to be very unconvincing and not an upgrade from sprites at all.

thanks for your replies

J.B.R said:

Why would even want to play with models?

I don't particularly want to play with models, I only said "maybe a few". I didn't know if someone had made some good ones more recently. And I seem to recall some good looking models for stuff like item pickups

So far in looking for "co-op with 'best' fancy graphics but still faithful to original" I've got:

- Doom 1 and 2 with Zandronum and Beautiful Doom.
- Heretic with Zandronum and I think there is a high res texture pack somewhere
- Hexen with Zandronum

I figure I haven't quite got it yet. Is there a central place for all these ports and mods and wads? I'm having a hard time finding things, some is at moddb, others is just on individual websites, etc.

What about music, is there high quality music for doom (or I mean, what's the way to make that work in the game)?