Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DoomUK

The Doom Confessional Booth

Richo Rosai said:

Doesn't that make the monsters just stand there and shoot like arachnotrons whenever you're visible though?

Not really (in particular, of course, pinkbeasts and invisibeasts very much do not stand there), although of course they do shoot more and move less. The sea of tomatoes on Mount Erebus, for example, closes down the range in an annoying way as well as bunging a ghastly number of fireballs at you.

i have the idea to make a map called "Dead Stimple" where it has an identical starting box from the original MAP07, but when you raise out all there is are four stimpacks on four square columns and you can immediately walk to the exit

and submit it to a TNT tribute project

MetalSmasher86 said:

I have never completed TNT Evilution. Map 16 was as far as I ever got before I gave up on it.

Map 12 for me.

rdwpa said:

I've decided to abandon describing anything as "easy" (and related terms) in DWMC playthroughs and elsewhere. One reason is it often comes off as humble-bragging when people do it. Imagine someone describing Valiant map31 as an easy map in response to this post -- no matter how true it might be, an apt response to that hypothetical response is http://i.imgur.com/WIRscGL.png. If you do this type of thing, stop! Another is that in most maps, survival-maximization play is underwhelming. The question of "How do I survive?" isn't so interesting at all ("do basically anything") and other potential questions such as "How do I do every fight in the fastest way possible?" or "What's the most aggressive way I can handle this part of the map while surviving reliably?" or even "How do I take zero damage?" are going to be a lot more nuanced and interesting. So not seeing past a map being easy to survive just feels like robbing yourself of potential fun.

Graf Zahl is right about Valiant 31, though. It's not hard (and, notably, he doesn't claim that it is), but it's pretty terrible; every encounter past the very start boils down to "punch a hole to the outside of it, circle strafe for five hours and watch it blow itself up." It's too open to require herding tactics, there's too much space reuse for just running from fights to consistently be viable (otherwise, you'll teleport right into a mess and die instantly later), and there's lots of faux-pas such as four identical platforms with megaspheres in an arena with radial symmetry, but you can't see the megasphere before you commit to jumping down to the platform, so going back for another sphere once you've taken at least one is a crap-shoot.

Awful example of its genre.

Cynical said:

(and, notably, he doesn't claim that it is)

I mean:

"idiotic"
"annoying"
"a style of gameplay I utterly hate"
"I realized I never make it through that map 'legally'."

But whatever, not such a big deal anyway, and he's entitled to feel that way.

Cynical said:

Graf Zahl is right about Valiant 31, though. It's not hard (and, notably, he doesn't claim that it is), but it's pretty terrible; every encounter past the very start boils down to "punch a hole to the outside of it, circle strafe for five hours and watch it blow itself up." It's too open to require herding tactics, there's too much space reuse for just running from fights to consistently be viable (otherwise, you'll teleport right into a mess and die instantly later), and there's lots of faux-pas such as four identical platforms with megaspheres in an arena with radial symmetry, but you can't see the megasphere before you commit to jumping down to the platform, so going back for another sphere once you've taken at least one is a crap-shoot.

It has its flaws (easy for monsters to get lost in places, chief among them), but you have to be willing to play ball. The map has tons of ammo -- no real reason to hang back and watch semi-pacifistically while monsters infight. Teleporting into a mess sounds fun :D. Should be comfortably survivable, since you can send one or two BFG shots into a wall before teleporting -- the orientation is right for that -- and then spam upon entry.

scifista42 said:

^ What's bad or good (?) about aliens existing or not existing in the Doom universe?

What do you think?

Aliens exist in the books, but the games are only about the demons. This is the same shit that Halo does.

id didn't write the books, and they were probably just commissioned by a publishing company to cash in on the game's success after they got the license.

Jaxxoon R said:

id didn't write the books, and they were probably just commissioned by a publishing company to cash in on the game's success after they got the license.

Either way. It's a shame the books have aliens but not the games.

But the aliens were dumb, why would you want them? I mean, they were called Freds and tried to spook people with fake demons and their phallus switch statues. They'd just get eaten by the real demons if they were in the games.

Well obviously the lazy game designers weren't willing to put in the work to match the vastly superior books, which came out first and were written by hard-working, respectable authors who's names I can't seem to remember...

Jaxxoon R said:

But the aliens were dumb, why would you want them?

Because it would have been nice to see more than just demons!

My friend just showed me the new Forza in an attempt to impress me with it's modern graphics and I was completely unimpressed, yet I walk around the maps of BTSX and practically shit my pants from the sheer beauty of it all.