Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Brutal Doom 64 trailer

Looks pretty promising. Seems like it's going to be quite a bit less excessive and comical than regular Brutal Doom, which is appropriate for Doom 64's more serious atmosphere. There's some "cut content" such as that weird laser cannon that was teased in an early screenshot. I'm hoping that the Aztec looking stuff from that same era will also be included in some form. There's clearly also some new maps as well. Overall it's shaping up to be a hell of a release, although one thing bugs me, which is the lighting.

You've got these gorgeous effects that almost bring the game into the modern era, but I still don't see any dynamic lighting for weapons, something I found mighty confusing since this is running on GZDoom. I can do without the gradients since GZDoom can't handle them, but the dynamic stuff needs to be there.

Now this is nice. Gore mixed with Doom 64's horror atmosphere in the right way.
Keeping an eye on this.

The heavier horror focus is exactly what this needed.

I am actually going to be looking forward to playing this now and seeing how well it is executed.

Great trailer. Looking forward to this mod, it seems very promising. Cacoward candidate anyone?

Definitely Been keeping my eye on this. Can't wait to check it out For all those who are working on this, Great job, looks really good. A lot of work has been done.

Doom64hunter said:

Are those Tchernobogs supposed to be revenants?

Yeah, and I think that points to a noticeable problem within modding communities: If you don't have talented artists who can add original artwork and designs to the original, then you're forced to modify someone else's resources. It sorta works here but the redressing is pretty obvious and it's hard to imagine whether or not it will really fit with Doom 64's style.

Spoiler

Brutal Doom is overrated

Ah ? I wasn't expecting this to be "different" from Brutal Doom, i was expecting so much reloading, dodging, kicking and fatalities, Anyways looks good .

Jaxxoon R said:

I wonder if this one will actually load in GZDoom this time around.

Yeah Sarge said it will work on both GZDoom and Zandronum.
The mod looks pretty good, the silliness is toned down and the new lighting effects and skyboxes give it a nice new coat of paint, still iffy on him using a miniature Tchernebog as the Revenant but i guess it'll do.

I think I've realized just why BD64 appears to be so good. As it stands, it doesn't deviate or distract from the intended direction of Doom 64. Instead, it enhances and amplifies the game's atmosphere, improving it in the right ways without making it something it was never intended to be. On the other hand, Brutal Doom for PC Doom sometimes feels like there's just too much going on and not all of it really meshes up with the overall coherence of the game. Instead, it almost turns it into something it never was in the first place (CoD Doom?). That's probably one of the reasons why it wasn't necessarily well-received by the community. That said, I have high hopes for BD64.

Are those allied marines? Damn it.

I always saw Doom 64 as a solo game. I want to kill every last one of the demons. Last thing I need are allies to help me. These guns are all the help I need.

Job said:

That's probably one of the reasons why it wasn't necessarily well-received by the community.

Honestly outside of the old school hardcore doom community, brutal doom has high praise amongst many fans.

MrGlide said:

Honestly outside of the old school hardcore doom community, brutal doom has high praise amongst many fans.

That's not inaccurate. However, they are a very vocal group residing in this forum. Since this is the only Doom community I participate in, that was who I was referring to.

Voros said:

Are those allied marines? Damn it.

I always saw Doom 64 as a solo game. I want to kill every last one of the demons. Last thing I need are allies to help me. These guns are all the help I need.

Preach

347.48MB?!?! Has he even taken the time to optimize the contents in the PK3 files?

EDIT: Oh wait a second, I just checked. Most of the bloat is due to the music files, which weighs in at least 300MB alone.

Specifically, the music pack is 289 MB. As the entire Brutal Doom 64 package is 347 MB, that means the music pack takes up about 83% of its file size. Without the music pack, it would be only 58 MB.

This is why Doom 64 EX uses MIDIs with a soundfont.

This is actually a whole lot of fun. He kept it toned down quite a bit in terms of the over-the-top splatter fest of the brutal doom we all know. It plays nice and definitely looks and feels great. New (revived) enemies are nice here. The intro map is pretty cool too, though I kinda played right through it tbh. The weapons are nice and punchy and the sfx are nicely done and made to sound crisp and give a sense of impact. The lighting is very nice and absolutely adds to the very grim atmosphere of Doom 64 without feeling too overbearing. This is my opinion on it so far. So far I haven't stopped playing since it was uploaded and don't plan to stop any time soon :)